PDA

View Full Version : Cold start removal on 1986 Rx-7

cherbi7
10-25-2009, 10:25 PM
1986 rx-7
Can you remove the cold start thing on the motor? I have searched and cannot find anything on this...(is this considered emissions stuff?) If I can I know I have to plug some vaccuum lines and a port in the top of the motor and the intake. Can anyone run me through the steps?

2. Can I just weld up the joint in the rear suspension where it moves for the passive rear steer? (instead of buying the $40ish kit) If so how would I make sure it is lined up properly for alignment?

3. Also I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a good cheap intake setup? Mainly for the adapter from the filter to AFM. There seems to be some difference between styles of adapters and a fair amount of price difference.

4. Anymore simple engine mods I should make? I have already eliminated the air pump and 5 and 6 port actuators.

5. And the last question for now what is the best way to remove those darn stubborn flat head screws to hold the rotors on?

Thanks for any help

wrcRS
10-26-2009, 12:32 AM
1986 rx-7
Can you remove the cold start thing on the motor? I have searched and cannot find anything on this...(is this considered emissions stuff?) If I can I know I have to plug some vaccuum lines and a port in the top of the motor and the intake. Can anyone run me through the steps?

Yes

2. Can I just weld up the joint in the rear suspension where it moves for the passive rear steer? (instead of buying the $40ish kit) If so how would I make sure it is lined up properly for alignment?

I don't know how you could do that. I just went with the AWR kit

3. Also I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a good cheap intake setup? Mainly for the adapter from the filter to AFM. There seems to be some difference between styles of adapters and a fair amount of price difference.

You could try corksport, I have had nothing but great experiences with them.

4. Anymore simple engine mods I should make? I have already eliminated the air pump and 5 and 6 port actuators.

I would try and get rid of the power steering. Also, it sounds like you are already removing all the emissions, not sure if that gives you any power

5. And the last question for now what is the best way to remove those darn stubborn flat head screws to hold the rotors on?

I used an impact driver http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947641000P?vName=Tools&cName=Auto+%26+Mechanics+Tools&sName=Auto+Specialty+Tools
Thanks for any help

The cold start is an emission device and can be removed.

Eagle7
10-26-2009, 07:03 AM
1986 rx-7

I think I've got a used K&N filter and adapter if you're interested.

mbuskuhl
10-26-2009, 08:53 AM
1. Yes. Check out www.rx7club.com (http://www.rx7club.com) and search the 2nd Gen Section

2. Can you weld rubber and aluminum? You'll need the new replacement bushing kit. Available in aluminum, Delrin or UHMW

3. Good and cheap usually don't go together. If you need the adapter, get the one mentioned for sale here or they are on eBay for less than $10 shipped. Make sure to at least get a good filter like K&N

4. Put on 89-91 (S5) intake manifolds. Search the forum I listed above and with a little effort you'll find everything you need to know to get the job done.

5. WD40 or similar, dremel, drill, visegrips, etc. Just don't drill out the the threads in the hub. Buy some allen head bolts for when you put it back together.

cherbi7
10-26-2009, 12:27 PM
I have heard about the S5 setup and it is a good idea to change over to it but then I have to change my engine wiring harness and AFM to be in compliance with the rules right? I think something with the injectors has to be changed too...?
Thanks

mbuskuhl
10-26-2009, 01:19 PM
I have heard about the S5 setup and it is a good idea to change over to it but then I have to change my engine wiring harness and AFM to be in compliance with the rules right? I think something with the injectors has to be changed too...?
Thanks

No and No. Updating/backdating IS allowed on the spec line. S5 intakes run just fine on S4 harness and AFM. You are thinking of hign and low impedance injectors. Use the S4 injectors with the S4 wiring. They are all 460cc. Use the S4 TB. All you have to change is the UIM, LIM and plenum.

wrankin
10-29-2009, 04:20 PM
No and No. Updating/backdating IS allowed on the spec line. S5 intakes run just fine on S4 harness and AFM. You are thinking of hign and low impedance injectors. Use the S4 injectors with the S4 wiring. They are all 460cc. Use the S4 TB. All you have to change is the UIM, LIM and plenum.

And make sure to wire the VDI open in the UIM, since you no longer have the air-pump to drive it.

-bill