PDA

View Full Version : ITA Miata 1.6 >1.8

racerman50
10-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Can a 1992 1.6 legally be turned into a 1994 with an engine swap? Are VIN plates still required? Got this car laying around, but don't believe a 1.6 has a snowball's chance....:shrug:
Thanks!

Greg Amy
10-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Yes. No.

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26843

RacerBowie
10-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Can a 1992 1.6 legally be turned into a 1994 with an engine swap? Are VIN plates still required? Got this car laying around, but don't believe a 1.6 has a snowball's chance....:shrug:
Thanks!

Screw you Rhodes! :shrug: :D

racerman50
10-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks, Greg. Can I borrow your flyswatter to slap this pesky Bowie thing? Love you too, lil brother!

Greg Amy
10-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Can I borrow your flyswatter to slap this pesky Bowie thing?
Build a 1.8 and you'll already have it...

:D

Marcus Miller
10-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Make sure you look at all the differences. Everything on the 92 had to be converted to 94 specs, not just a motor swap... (chassis wiring, dash, etc)

racerman50
10-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Dash, really?

Greg Amy
10-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Dash, really?
Technically to the rules, yes. BUT I sincerely doubt anyone is going to give you any grief over not having the hole in there for the airbags...if they do, we can gang up on 'em and give 'em tittie twisters until they relent...

RacerBowie
10-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Technically to the rules, yes. BUT I sincerely doubt anyone is going to give you any grief over not having the hole in there for the airbags...if they do, we can gang up on 'em and give 'em tittie twisters until they relent...

This IS Rhodes we're talking about. He has the unique ability to get people riled up about the littlest things! :D

Love ya, mean it!

Engine, rear end, dash, chassis bracing, maybe a little wiring = soup.

racerman50
10-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Bowie, I appreciate your vote of confidence, but I fear that my 11/10ths ability may have left with my penchant for being a s*** magnet. What I want to find out by getting a real race car again whether SCCA on the dark side....
Still not sure these Miata things can hang with a CRX. ( OK, maybe I can still stir up some...):rolleyes:
Like Greg's attitude. Guess I 'll forgive him for ducking under my Eclipse ar T 7, Summit a gazillion years ago. Memory test.... Made a great picture!

JeffYoung
10-21-2009, 03:53 PM
David Rhodes??!! No kidding! David, this is Jeff Young, Mark Whight's friend. Glad to see you back, are you in NC?

racerman50
10-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Damn, it's getting like old home week!
Yep, by the grace of God wound up where I grew up: the Outer Banks, Nags Head specifically. I tried calling Mark a while ago but no response. Tell the buggar to ping me (505-670-1464). If he's retired from racing, he should give me that Civic!! Been enjoying Time Trials with that "not SCCA" group, but am ready to get back in a real race car. Looking at a number of options, esp why I should choose a Miata or CRX for ITA/PTE. I still have the SM Mark and I built but NO desire to run that group.
Hope you are doing well. Did I see you driving a Z car? Must be hallucinating?

JeffYoung
10-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Good to see you back man! I honestly haven't heard from Mark in about a year as well. We built another SM that we ran as an Enduro car; great car, and then he set about getting a bunch of nice pieces for the Chitvic. I think he got it all together last year, and kept threatening to bring it out, but then we lost touch with him.

I race with Ron Earp now, he has a fast 260z. I still have the TR8 -- converted it to a fuel injected motor this year and some teething problems but the car is running pretty good right now.

Hope to see you at VIR.

Jeff

racerman50
10-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Pm me his number at [email protected] and I'll call the ole family man and give him a ration.
That was Ron I saw in a video. Caught my eye cause I use to have a bud who ran ITS in a #38 Z back in the stone ages.
Cheers. Probably won't re-emerge until next year....