PDA

View Full Version : STU in 2010 runoffs

xr4racer
10-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Any IT car newer than 1985 can now go to the runoffs next year. They will not be competitive, but they can go. Many cars 1990 and newer can be converted to a full STU car and maybe be competitive.

matt

Greg Amy
10-20-2009, 08:34 AM
<rubbing hands together with an evil grin, thinking of the ways we could make the Runoffs look like a Caddyshack pool party...>

Andy Bettencourt
10-20-2009, 08:49 AM
<rubbing hands together with an evil grin, thinking of the ways we could make the Runoffs look like a Caddyshack pool party...>

THAT IS EXACTLY what I was thinking!!!! :) CRASH the RUNOFFS!!!

ITA_honda
10-20-2009, 08:53 AM
Hell Yeah! We could have our secret "IT" race at the Runoffs distinguished as STU:D

Put all the other classes to shame :eclipsee_steering:

Andy Bettencourt
10-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Can you imagine if 50 IT cars showed up and made the participation numbers of the other classes look silly? :D

Greg Amy
10-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Hell Yeah! We could have our secret "IT" race at the Runoffs distinguished as STU:D
And, get Bob Zecca involved to make it the final, unofficial Pro-IT series championship finale, complete with prizes for all individual unoffical STU sub-classes (e.g., STUr, STUs, STUa, STUb, STUc...)

Damn, we're good.

Bet it gets shut down last minute, though. I can only IMAGINE the reaction of the BoD member that's covertly reading this thread right now... :happy204:

Andy Bettencourt
10-20-2009, 09:15 AM
http://cms.scca.com/documents/Club%20Rules/09%20GCR/STCS.pdf

ITA_honda
10-20-2009, 09:16 AM
I could imagine the numbers! It would be sweet. Who wouldnt want to go to the National Championship Runoffs???

Greg Amy
10-20-2009, 09:26 AM
http://cms.scca.com/documents/Club%20Rules/09%20GCR/STCS.pdf

(<--- begins to sift through the regs, wondering if not only is his ITx car legal - it explicitly is - but if he can leverage the STU rules in such a way as to make some pretty cool horsepower mods, just for fun. Don't forget, that track is all about POWAH, BABY!!!)

Marcus Miller
10-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Too bad I drove the worst ITA car in history for a power track ;)

ITA_honda
10-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Too bad I drove the worst ITA car in history for a power track ;)

no way man. I think I have the worst horsepower.. LOL:D

benspeed
10-20-2009, 09:46 AM
I've been plotting to attend - gonna be a hoot to see dozens of IT cars show for the Pro IT errr Runoffs finale!!!!

924Guy
10-20-2009, 10:46 AM
I would so be there... too bad my car's WAY too old.

Guess I'll just have to bring the DSR! ;)

JohnRW
10-20-2009, 11:46 AM
http://dummidumbwit.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/the_charge_of_the_mongol_horde.jpg

shwah
10-20-2009, 12:08 PM
I love the idea. But after looking at the HP field this year, I may just run my B car there. It should have been good for 6th as it sits, and would get faster if I just pulled the weight and dropped in a cam.

Greg - the way I read the rules, you prep to STU or IT specs. No mixing and matching. So be careful with the 'optimization plan'.

If this plan to show up en mass for STU were to become real, I may seriously do it though...

pballance
10-20-2009, 12:10 PM
(<--- begins to sift through the regs, wondering if not only is his ITx car legal - it explicitly is - but if he can leverage the STU rules in such a way as to make some pretty cool horsepower mods, just for fun. Don't forget, that track is all about POWAH, BABY!!!)

Yeah, POWAH, BABY but an RX8 at 2600#, hmmm.......begins to think............

Greg Amy
10-20-2009, 12:33 PM
Greg - the way I read the rules, you prep to STU or IT specs. No mixing and matching. So be careful with the 'optimization plan'.
Oh, sure, I understand that. But, if there's no incentive to stay within the ITx rules (e.g., "Pro-IT" spiffs) and the car meets the minimum safety requirements for a full-up STU car, then why not go play? The car would not be competitive with a full-up STU car, but I know we can get another 30 some odd ponies for DiMinno's car with a few bolt-ons, and I can imagine there's more than a few tricks out there for the Acura GS-R engine... ;)

Knestis
10-20-2009, 02:38 PM
...all individual unoffical STU sub-classes (e.g., STUr, STUs, STUa, STUb, STUc...)

I'm going to petition to run STFU. :happy204:

K

R2 Racing
10-20-2009, 04:18 PM
I love the idea. But after looking at the HP field this year, I may just run my B car there. It should have been good for 6th as it sits, and would get faster if I just pulled the weight and dropped in a cam.
My ITA car is 100% FP legal; only needs a "FP" slapped on the side of it. I'm also pretty sure that in the 30 car deep FP Runoffs race, I could've finished about 16th in my ITA car as it sits. If I were to put slicks on it, pull a little weight out of it, and put the cam in it? Well, might be interesting to see, and I think it would be a lot more fun that running against four other cars in STU. JMHO.

Ron Earp
10-20-2009, 04:27 PM
What is up with STU that causes it to be 85 and newer?

Greg Amy
10-20-2009, 04:38 PM
...I think it would be a lot more fun that running against four other cars in STU. JMHO.
Methinks you vastly misunderestimate the Caddyshack-ability of Improved Touring... ;)

What is up with STU that causes it to be 85 and newer?
It used to be 1992 (?), they changed it last year to '85. It's an arbitrary number in order to keep the classes comprised of new(er) cars, preferably new(er) World Challenge cars. The last thing they want is some old British or Datsun crap sullying up their pool! ;)

Of course, given recent courses of events (see first post in this thread) I'd not be surprised to see then relent and relax that requirement some time in the near future (oh, wait, they already have!!!)

:shrug:

xr4racer
10-20-2009, 05:04 PM
I think I remember hearing one time that the 1985 year was picked to include fuel injected RX-7's beginning with GSL-SE in 1984-1985.
I do think this will help the national race entries, I just hope it does not hurt the regionals too bad. STO will do well but ST will be a failure because there are only 5 or so models classified. Start planning now to do your 4 national races to qualify. You can qualify strictly as an IT car at the nationals and take a built to the rules STU car to the runoffs unless it does become a pseudo IT runoffs.

matt

Greg Amy
10-20-2009, 05:49 PM
A lot of us in the Northeast have been double-dipping in STU (nee D Prepared) in all the Regionals for several years now. Wasn't Bettencourt the NEDiv DP champ in 2007? And I think Doc Breault was our 2008 DP champ. Who got the first STU trophy, in 2009?

My fav DP experience was when I came within one car of lapping the entire Big Bore field at LRP in the rain in 2007, including several GT-1 cars...I had guys that thought they were fighting me for position, but they were actually fighting to keep from getting lapped! :)

benspeed
10-20-2009, 07:09 PM
There is no doubt that STU Runoffs eligibility will now present the organizers of Pro IT with a whole new opportunity to run races at nationals that also qualify IT cars for STU at the Runoffs. Heck, the whole issue of Pro IT sucking away regional dollars goes away if some Pro IT races are run at Nationals under STU.

I want to be with Greg Amy when he drops the "Caddyshack Anchor" at the Runoffs!!!!

Greg Amy
10-20-2009, 07:32 PM
"MMmm! Baby Ruth..."

trhoppe
10-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Your only problem is that you will have to run 4 national events to run the runoffs. I would go other then that.

-Tom

mustanghammer
10-21-2009, 12:28 AM
There are 3 RX7's running STU in National races in MiDiv. Two us are ITA cars and the other is an 85 GLS-SE ITS car. The ITS car actually won the Division in STU and finished 2nd in the MidAm Championship in ITS.

I requested and recieved a wieght spec for the 12A street port engine - 2450lbs in STU. We also received a clarification about the 1985 model year limit that ended any speculation regarding RX7's built prior to 85 - they are legal all the way back to 79. Finally, I have a carb allowance request pending with the CRB at this time for the 12A engine.

The only thing that was a little Sticky was how STU was grouped. In MiDiv STU and STO run with big bore GT/T1/AS/EP. Not wanting to be run over or lapped STU drivers asked to be moved in with either SM/SSS/T2/T3 or Small Prod/GTL/SRF. This worked pretty good.

I intend to continue developing my car for STU. So far I have played around with cold air induction and a light flywheel, which made about a 2-3 second difference in my last race. My car meets the 12A STU weight spec so I am not running as an IT cross-over car.

The Super Touring rule set needs some tweaking and clarification but it is not too bad overall. It is an engine swap class so future combinations for my car are limitless. This class should really be popular with the Honda crowd.

Andy Bettencourt
10-21-2009, 07:43 AM
I gues to gauge competitiveness, look up some Touring results from World Challenge and see where the top E36's ran. That's a decent idea of how fast STU should be going.

shwah
10-21-2009, 09:14 AM
Methinks you vastly misunderestimate the Caddyshack-ability of Improved Touring... ;)

Agreed. If this were to come together, and we could get an ITFest style attendance (but all in one class!) I would certainly want to join the party. If not, I am seriously looking at HP anyway (because you know 2 race cars make so much sense :bash_1_:) so may just get my feet wet before the car is 'ready' for it. A lot of that is driven by the Runoffs being a 3 hour tow from my house for probably the only time ever in my life.

Marcus Miller
10-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Is this Amy and Diminno, practiciing for the ruboffs next year?

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/ga/ul/341002160041/inlineimg/Y/red-neck-hot-tub.jpg

DavidM
10-21-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm going to petition to run STFU. :happy204:

K

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks of that everytime STU comes up.

Rabbit07
10-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Well,

I plan on getting started in January @ Sebring. It's a double this year so I can get half of the needed finishes to get qualified in STU with the old Neon. I like the invansion on the RunOffs idea.:D We might be able to out participate SM and SRF! Wouldn't that be something!:happy204:

Hammer
10-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Isn't there a double National at Moroso a/k/a PBIR the week before Sebring's double National. You could get all four races in a week.

jcmotorsports
10-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Jeez all the interest in STU may make me run the T3 car in T3 and STU!!!! STU may be the most populated class ever!!!!! You actually may have to compete to make it to the top10 in each division.

wdether
10-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Your only problem is that you will have to run 4 national events to run the runoffs. I would go other then that.

-Tom

Doing this may not be that difficult with the proliferation of Double Nationals recently. In NEDIV, expect more than one double national in 2010. Other divisions do a fair number of doubles. If you are really going to do this I suggest getting organized soon as the first nationals start January in the warm areas (Florida, Arizona, Cal, etc.).

Rabbit07
10-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Isn't there a double National at Moroso a/k/a PBIR the week before Sebring's double National. You could get all four races in a week.

I understood it to be a double at Homestead new years weekend which makes it a hard sell for me.

There is suppose to be a double at VIR in April also?

Hell we don't start racing up here in the north until late april and even that tends to be too cold.

JLawton
10-22-2009, 06:54 AM
Is this Amy and Diminno, practiciing for the ruboffs next year?

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/ga/ul/341002160041/inlineimg/Y/red-neck-hot-tub.jpg

Nope! Just a typical Saturday night for the two of them........

philstireservice
10-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Don't you have to finish in the top ten in points to be invited? If so, there still would be at 10 from each division eligible.

Sounds like a plan !!

Terry Hanushek
10-22-2009, 01:40 PM
I like the idea of having the Pro IT Finale at Road America in September with lots of knowledgeable spectators. Just think, we can start 100 cars on the RA course - how awesome would that be? Now if we can just get a waiver of the ten cars from a division limit ....

Just sayin'

Terry

RSTPerformance
10-22-2009, 07:38 PM
To bad ITB won't make the top 10 against all the ITR, ITS and ITA cars... unless it rains and Ben continues to procrastinate on buying rain tires!

I did run in STU once with the Audi despite being to old... I wasn't protested and enjoyed the 2nd/last place in class finish! Actually I forget what class cars I was able to mix it up with, but I was at Watkins Glenn and had one of my favorite races running with the production cars.

Raymond

StephenB
10-22-2009, 10:34 PM
GCR is clear that cars that are not within 120% of qualfiying pole time will not run... just be carefull not to waiste your money on the trip.

Stephen

Greg Amy
10-23-2009, 06:58 AM
See, now that would be funny as all hell! 50 ITx cars show up for STU, and because one guy shows up with a full-up World Challenge car, 46 cars fail to take the green! Instead, all 46 teams sit out at the Turn Two area, drinking beer, eating brats, and causing all kinda general melee!!!

Yeah, like there won't be a Steward's request for waiver on that one... ;)

On the other hand, still sound like fun!

benspeed
10-23-2009, 09:03 AM
I swear I'll buy rain tires. It was the worst having my son tell me back at the trailer, "dad, you were slower that a three legged turtle - you got slaughtered."

If that's not motivation to reach into the wallet.....plus, I have a cash infusion on the way for way more goodies that tires :-) I just might have to buy a pimp wing for when I run STU!

shwah
10-23-2009, 12:23 PM
GCR is clear that cars that are not within 120% of qualfiying pole time will not run... just be carefull not to waiste your money on the trip.

Stephen

I would not give that a 2nd thought. I have never seen them enforce this rule, often to the detriment of those actually racing for a national championship...

Butch Kummer
10-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Also remember that 120% is a huge gap from front to back. Suppose a killer WC Touring car with a killer driver shows up and runs a 2:25 in qualifying. You're still good to go if you can run a 2:54 or better - times that most SSC cars ran at the Sprints. The Chief Steward also is allowed to waive the 120% rule as well (RTFS), so don't let that keep you from participating.

And yes, I DO think it would be cool if STU was the largest class at the 2010 Run-Ons. :D

jcmotorsports
10-24-2009, 03:23 PM
I think it was enforced in 2006 in SSC with a REALLY slow driver(I think there was contact with a front runner as well in qualifying). I think that has been the only time I have seen it at the Runoffs or any national for that matter.

Dano77
10-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Let me see,if I street port and run a solid axle the car should weigh 2400# right? The car already weighs 2380 {old weight}we can gut completely,add wings and spoilers and such and change the trans gears in a stock case. Add 17 in wheels and 12 in rotors and 4piston calipers. Subframe connectors and stiffen within the existing body, Move pickup points 25mm lower strut towers add material to reinforce{move}. Add cold air intakes within the body/spoiler outline and ram air from the nose. Basically keep dash pad and stock grill Make rain lites on 4 corners and run 4 nationals,dbl at VIR Dbl at Pocono and tow 23 hrs to the boggest beer and brat fest on the planet.
Do I have this correct or am I missing something? Oh yeah,it seems real tough to find a way to "cheat up the car"
Dan 70 IT7/STU???

Bill Miller
10-25-2009, 11:09 PM
I have just one thing to say to Greg and Andy.

FUCKING DO IT!!!!!!

Rabbit07
11-10-2009, 10:53 PM
OK, the old Neon survived the ARRC without a scratch, not counting a broken axle. Who else is in for the Dbl Nat @ Sebring in Jan? Since Greg says I can be the poster child let's get an early start on this STU thingy!:happy204:

shwah
01-05-2010, 12:41 AM
Astute readers of the last fast track are already aware that every single one of us can now enter the 2010 Runoffs if we finish 4 national races in STU...even if we are all in the same division.

Is this still a live idea?

Gregg
01-05-2010, 01:03 AM
I'm thinking of going for it....

Greg Amy
01-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Ditto.

benspeed
01-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Same here - looking to blend some Pro IT and national races...

shwah
01-05-2010, 03:06 PM
If there is a real interest in hitting up the sprints as a group, let me know so I can ask that STU be placed in a reasonable race group.

Greg Amy
01-05-2010, 03:20 PM
If there is a real interest in hitting up the sprints as a group, let me know so I can ask that STU be placed in a reasonable race group.
Consider it a formal request. But do note that we could (will?) have IT cars as fast as ITR there, so it'll be difficult to accommodate ITC Hondas...

We may also wish to formally request waiver of the 120% qualification rule. If I go to all the trouble of towing to Wisconsin to have a good time, only to be told to sit on my butt for the race because we have a World Challenge TC car on the pole, I suspect the organizers will be faced with an extremely light entry list after all...we'll just need to learn how to get along nicely. - GA

shwah
01-05-2010, 03:32 PM
I cannot remember the last time that the 120% rule was actually enforced - can you?
I agree there will be a wide range of speeds, I just don't want them dumped in a group with even faster cars than ITR making the disparity even worse.

I mentioned that this could happen to Chicago Region. It was recieved as a positive thing. Any guesses on attendance. I think 20-30 people will say they want to do it, and 10 people will.

Greg Amy
01-05-2010, 03:50 PM
I cannot remember the last time that the 120% rule was actually enforced - can you?
No clue. Except for working Tech on occasion, I've been out of the National scene since '92.

Any guesses on attendance. I think 20-30 people will say they want to do it, and 10 people will.
No clue, again. I suspect we'll have a good handful of I.T. folks just in NeDiv running STU (we usually get around a half-dozen entries Regional weekends just for the extra track time), but this being the first year of STU/Runoffs eligibility I suspect most IT guys won't "get the word" this year until it's too late for them to qualify for the event. I just simply can't even begin to guess how many folks will actually follow-through to run enough Nationals to qualify and actually make the tow.

Z3_GoCar
01-05-2010, 04:20 PM
I'd need to get six regionals before I can convert to a national license, but with two double-Nats I should have the region sown up. We had one STU entry last year that didn't even complete one race:shrug: We used to run G/H-P with GT you can't get a higher speed differetial than this.

gran racing
01-05-2010, 04:21 PM
To qualify, do you need to run the same car in national races? Or can it be a mix of multiple such as STU and SSC? Wasn't sure if the driver is the one to qualify or if it's the car.

Never really followed the Ruboffs or cared too much, but heard it's a week long qualifying set-up? Or what's the event schedule comprised of / like?

shwah
01-05-2010, 04:27 PM
I am talking about the June Sprints. Topeka watches what goes on at our big National when planning the Runoffs, but I don't have any more idea who to talk to there to accomodate us than any of you. I do know who in my region to talk to about the Sprints.

You do not need to 'sew up' your region in any class to qualify for the runoffs. You just need to finish 4 national races in one class to go to the runoffs. Seems to me the obvious goal is to increase runoffs car counts. Of course if they simply made IT classes eligible for National competition they would have achieved that goal and then some. As it is we can all get in as STU (Prod class if we are classified there and have appropriate safety gear (window clips, fire system)).

1stGenBoy
01-06-2010, 02:30 PM
I plan to be at the Sprints with the GTL car and hopefully my son also driving the ITB car in STU. He may even take a crack at the Runoffs..Why not? We are only 50 miles away from the track

callard
01-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Hmm...I've got an IT-S Benz that seems to fit the rules...higher compression, big cam, large brakes....Hmmm..wheels turning....wallet shrieking....but Brats - Yum....
Chuck

shwah
01-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Chuck - you will have two choices on how to run that car in STU
1. legal to the ITS rule set - stock cams, .5 compression bump, stock brakes
2. legal to the STU rule set - big cam, bigger compression, big brakes, etc., along with anything else required by the class - fire system, etc.

No mixing and matching that I read anywhere.

Racerlinn
01-07-2010, 12:16 PM
With the way the GLDiv regional schedule has come together for 2010, and the good chance a new track will not be up and running, seems like this coming year will be the one where I go to a couple tracks I've never been before. And running STU at the Sprints works nicely into my summer schedule since my kids are at camp. So pencil in one more mid-pack ITA car.

Thread highjack: Chris, any info on this Quadruple regional at Blackhawk on May 15-16?
Really, 4 races over the weekend? Format? Link?

shwah
01-07-2010, 03:41 PM
I don't know yet, but I think it is comprised of IT fest style qualify-race-race-race-race with grids set by previous session. When I get more I will let you know.

We did something similar at Blackhawk in October, though two of the races did not have sanction numbers, but counted towards the weekend points competition. It was fun with 3 short sprints and one longer race.

callard
01-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Chris,
You're right, I wasn't talking mix and match. I've got a spare motor that I could pop the pistons and cam into. Window clips and driveshaft hoops are the only things I need to add to the tub to be STU legal. The conversion back and forth is fairly easy unless I get into bigger brakes and Megasquirt.
I figure that's about $2500 parts, race entries, travel time and misc. beer expenses....but Brats - Yum.
Chuck

quadzjr
01-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Chris,
You're right, I wasn't talking mix and match. I've got a spare motor that I could pop the pistons and cam into. Window clips and driveshaft hoops are the only things I need to add to the tub to be STU legal. The conversion back and forth is fairly easy unless I get into bigger brakes and Megasquirt.
I figure that's about $2500 parts, race entries, travel time and misc. beer expenses....but Brats - Yum.
Chuck

why wouldn't the mega squirt go form one to the other?

shwah
01-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Might be a CIS merc...

benspeed
01-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Thinking about dropping in a turbo for the Runoffs...

stirring it up :-)

I'm have my 4 national events picked out and a 5th if I DNF. Wonder what the gas bill will be from NJ to WI in the new motorhome.

SLUF
01-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Already planing on the Runoffs for our IT7/STU POS-7! The Midiv Scott team is ALL ON BOARD with the Caddyshack corner!!!!!!! Hell, we're figuring between Mazda contingency and Club tow fund we'll have enough left over for real beer on the trip!!!!!!

Either Trey or myself will make the assault in the STU nationals this year. I haven't looked this forward to racing season in a long time!!!!!

callard
01-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Yeay, The Benz is a Jetronic. In IT=S form I can only use MS for ignition. In STU I could go with new injection. Not that it would be worthwile; We've already got the Jetronic working real well.
Chuck

RacerBill
01-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Can we petition for an IT/SPU paddock area?

mr. black
01-15-2010, 06:09 PM
1. What's keeping IT from being a National group?
2. Can I run an ITR BMW without changing anything?
3. Is it worth it to run it without mods if I can?
4. Are you guys "inviting" vets and pros only or can we newbs be part of the fun too?

I went into IT for a lot of reasons. Not being able to go to the ruboffs was a con. I see where we are allowed to participate this year, but not really for anything other than participation. What's up with that?

BTW, I laughed out loud when I saw the Mongol hoard photo earlier in the thread. Awesome motivator to crash STU.

Greg Amy
01-15-2010, 06:36 PM
>>>1. What's keeping IT from being a National group?

History. A long discussion. Lots of beer.*

>>> 2. Can I run an ITR BMW without changing anything?

Yes.

>>> 3. Is it worth it to run it without mods if I can?

Yes, 'cause it'll be loads of fun.

>>> 4. Are you guys "inviting" vets and pros only or can we newbs be part of the fun too?

Everyone is invited, as far as I'm concerned. Just note that you must have a National license in order to run the National races needed to qualify for the National SCCA Runoffs. Yes, it's complicated.

GA

*Short answer: I.T. was a class developed in the early-80's in the Pacific Northwest as some place for aged Showroom Stock cars to run (SSx cars used to be classified for only 4 years). It was intended for local use but a lot of other regions saw its quick success and offered it in theirs. Soon thereafter, there was a move for a standardized set of rules nationwide; Englewood (Colorado, the old home of SCCA before Topeka) relented by publishing a set of rules in the GCR -- the first-ever set of nationally-recognized rules for a Regional class. However, SCCA did not want any more National classes so as part of that "relentation" Englewood specifically stated, and codified it in the rules, that I.T. was to be forever a Regional-Only class. It's been a regular argument within the I.T. ranks ever since. Yes, even before the Interwebz.

Long answer? History. A long discussion. Lots of beer.

mr. black
01-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks. The short answer works. It's too bad. I'll save my breath to argue that it should be changed. But if anyone ever takes it's on seriously, I'll yell and scream with the best of them. As for the liscence, I understand I need a National standing. That depends on the $$$ of how many of the National races I can attend. Thanks, good luck.

Rabbit07
01-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Update:

Ray Huffmaster, Kolin Aspegren, and Myself all ran and finished both of the races at Sebring in STU. Now we just need to complete the Double at VIR and Runoffs here we come!:happy204::happy204::happy204::happy204:

disquek
01-20-2010, 11:28 AM
"buh buh buh buy .... Bushwood ..."

I think that your idea to run a mini IT fest in STU at the runoffs is awesome. The more the merrier. I think that STU will be undersubscribed anyway. Plus it's a bastard class shoved down the throat of national racing without member input.

Just to put some numbers around STU, there was a fairly fast (I assume) STU at the Watkins Glen national this year. Phil Parlato ran a 2:09.166.

IT lap records at WGI:
ITA 2:17.900
ITB 2:22.838
ITC 2:28.228
ITE 2:03.147
ITR 2:14.049
ITS 2:14.155

So if Phil's STU is a good guideline, 120% of his time at WGI is a 2:34.99. Looks easy based on the lap records above.

IMHO, in the north east WGI is likely the best comparison to RA.

-Kyle

PS: There has been talk (forum talk) of lowering the cutoff to 110%.

Andy Bettencourt
01-20-2010, 11:41 AM
"buh buh buh buy .... Bushwood ..."

I think that your idea to run a mini IT fest in STU at the runoffs is awesome. The more the merrier. I think that STU will be undersubscribed anyway. Plus it's a bastard class shoved down the throat of national racing without member input.

Just to put some numbers around STU, there was a fairly fast (I assume) STU at the Watkins Glen national this year. Phil Parlato ran a 2:09.166.

IT lap records at WGI:
ITA 2:17.900
ITB 2:22.838
ITC 2:28.228
ITE 2:03.147
ITR 2:14.049
ITS 2:14.155

So if Phil's STU is a good guideline, 120% of his time at WGI is a 2:34.99. Looks easy based on the lap records above.

IMHO, in the north east WGI is likely the best comparison to RA.

-Kyle

PS: There has been talk (forum talk) of lowering the cutoff to 110%.

What a great reference to Caddy Shack. It's perfect! I know the ITA record is about a second lower and I think the ITB record fell - but no matter - they are light years behind a built STU car. As it should be. It's all about crashing the pool.

Yes, STU cars will be old SWC cars at the front end with the proper mods.

gran racing
01-20-2010, 12:10 PM
I think that B record still stands at least till next year. :D

Where can one find out more about the runoffs event in terms of how it's run? Meaning is it a week long event of can it be made into a few days like the ARRC? If a class becomes over subscribed, I'd imagine they'd just eliminate the slowest qualifiers (ITB cars probably)?

Greg Amy
01-20-2010, 12:45 PM
We're trying to talk Famous Phil into making the trek, so he can be a good baseline.

Where can one find out more about the runoffs event in terms of how it's run? Meaning is it a week long event of can it be made into a few days like the ARRC?
If it's anything like it was in the early 90's - thus take this post with a big grain of salt - Then it's a Monday test day, Tue/Wed/Thurs qualifying sessions (one per day) then Fri/Sat/Sun individual races.

In other words, a lot of sitting around. Just pretend it's an expensive multi-day autocross.

Rabbit07
01-20-2010, 03:10 PM
If it's anything like it was in the early 90's - thus take this post with a big grain of salt - Then it's a Monday test day, Tue/Wed/Thurs qualifying sessions (one per day) then Fri/Sat/Sun individual races.

In other words, a lot of sitting around.

Greg,

You are correct in the format, however I have never spent much time sitting around at the RunOffs. There always seems to be something to do to some race car, or the tow vehicle when your wife locks the keys in it in the Paddock:blink:

benspeed
01-21-2010, 11:32 AM
I think Phil's car is a solid representation of a real STU car. Former WC BMW - really well built, well driven. That's the stuff IT cars will struggle to beat.

Hope Phil will make it out. I figure I'll be racing him several times this year in STU - we'll see what the ITR car can do with a fresh head on it against the real STU guys. (Heck, I want to race the Flatout S2000 in ITR and STU!)

Matt93SE
01-21-2010, 06:33 PM
STU is watching U.......... ;)

I'm going to go warn the other three!!

Umm not really. I'm hoping to have a semi-competitive STU car by end of the season this year, but I don't think I can out-money enough people to do well at Nats. Maybe in a few years I'll be ready for that. Have to get the car built and sorted first, which menas figuring out where I hid that big brick of cash. Maybe I'll go sell a kidney.
Or maybe I'll go to the runoffs and sell beer & brats!

benspeed
01-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Hey Matt - If your going to building the car on a limited budget you might want to run it in IT as you build it up. IT racing is superior by far as competition is concerned.

Here's an interesting thought on IT racing nationally in STU.....

I bet as some point after a period of time there will be so many IT racers in the class that when a real insane modern WC car turns up we all go BOOOOOOO c'mon man run IT rules...

Matt93SE
01-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Hey Matt - If your going to building the car on a limited budget you might want to run it in IT as you build it up. IT racing is superior by far as competition is concerned.

I considered that, but my car is already prepped well past the IT rules regarding brakes, suspension, weight reduction, etc.
The car started as a DE toy and I've built it as I've worn things out, instead of keeping it stock enough to be legal for IT.
I'm basically building it as I come up with liquid cash and parts wear out- still running the 130k mile stock engine while I have a spare in the garage that I'll build closer to the STU rules. The damn stock engine just won't die! it'll be more of a reliability/enduro build vs. an all-out HP engine I throw away after a race like the "real" STU guys.

Locally, there are a few tracks that hold annual enduros and will be allowing STU cars to run as well as SM, SRF, and IT.

All I've got left before I'm ready to put it on the track is a short list of minor stuff- tow hooks, SCCA stickers, etc.

benspeed
01-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Cool Matt - go get 'em :-)

wdether
01-22-2010, 11:59 PM
We're trying to talk Famous Phil into making the trek, so he can be a good baseline.

In other words, a lot of sitting around. Just pretend it's an expensive multi-day autocross.

From what I have heard/seen, there will be qualifying Monday through Thursday, and racing on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. It looks like three qualifying sessions in the four days. Not sure how qualifying will be organized, whether classes run by themselves or share sessions with other classes. There will be four more classes in 2010 than in 2009 with the same number of races, 24 races with 29 classes (i.e. five races will have two classes).