PDA

View Full Version : Donna Mae Mims

Aanselm
10-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Donna Mae was 82 and lived in Bridgeville. She started racing in 1958 and was the first woman driver ever to win a Sports Car Club of America National Championship in 1963. Her career and involvement in Yenko Chevrolet led her to racing such cars as the Camaro, Austin Healy, MG, Corvette and Corvairs. She was the liaison for design and production with the Yenko sports car division and worked closely with Zora Arkus Dontuv, Ed Cole and the pioneers of Chevrolet Racing.. She raced many times in Sebring, Daytona, and Riverside. She was known as being able to go toe to toe with some of the best drivers in the country at speeds up to 140 miles per hour. She was an avid longtime member of the SCCA and the PVGP. Funeral Arrangements By BEINHAUER. Peters Township PA 724-941-3211 friends are welcome to attend a celebration of her life Saturday and Sunday from 2pm till 8pm both days. Additional visitation Monday from 10 am until time of service at 11 am For more info on Donna Mae please vist the Pittsburgh Vintage GrandPrix web site

RIP Donna Mae

GODSPEED....

RacerBowie
10-09-2009, 07:04 AM
One of my dad's "claims to fame" from his corner working days in the 60s was that she won (or at least finished well) in a race at VIR in her MG with his radiator cap off his street MG. Apparently that was worth a BUNCH of beer for his little group at their campsite that night. :D

RIP to a Pioneer.

dj10
10-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Gods speed Donna Mae. I'll miss seeing her in Pink & working the grids of Nelson Ledges & Beaver Run.

ITA_honda
10-09-2009, 08:43 AM
She will be missed greatly :-(

StephF
10-09-2009, 01:12 PM
She sounds like she was an amazing woman. I would have liked to have met her.
God Speed Donna Mae.