PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start racing ITB in 2010 any advice?

ridgeracer24
10-03-2009, 06:31 PM
I raced flat chassis go karts in 2008 and 2009. The second race of the season in 2009, I received a concussion from another kart driving over me. I spend about $100 every race for less than 15 min of track time. I'm looking to get into road racing on a budget. ITB is looking like my ideal place in road racing, any one willing to give advice it will be greatly appreciated.

trhoppe
10-03-2009, 07:16 PM
For $1000-1500 a weekend (depending on hotel rooms/incidentals) you should get 1.5hrs of track time doing double sprint races. That is if you want to win. If you want to drive around at the back of the pack, you can do that considerably cheaper :)

-Tom

rx7chris
10-03-2009, 07:38 PM
buy, don't build. If you look in the classifieds here you can find some pretty good deals. Expect to spend between 3-5k for a mid pack car with or without trailer. Might find some local help if we knew where you were.

chuck baader
10-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Considerably cheaper....remember, Hoppe has an unlimited budget so he is not a good example:D Chuck

ridgeracer24
10-03-2009, 08:41 PM
I am in CT and looking to buy a car already built. Maybe doing a few track days in 2010. Just get use to a car instead of a kart. Just feel it out and learn is my goal. Were can I find rules for the IT classes?

gran racing
10-03-2009, 09:12 PM
www.scca.com is where you can find the rules.

I'd suggest that you begin doing some HPDEs before buying or building a racecar. Do that then determine if it's your thing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with running towards the back or mid-pack. I've been at all spectrums, and each has their plusses and minuses. The closer you want to get towards the front, the more it's gonna cost ya.

(I run in ITB and am from CT)

Eagle7
10-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Dave didn't plug it, but I will. Read Dave's book. It'll save you lots of time and money.
http://www.GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com

tom91ita
10-04-2009, 01:41 AM
the $ per minute won't really be a better deal and you will have more minutes and more $$.

this ad had caught my eye as a fair deal: http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26594

i always recommend that folks get their feet wet with autocrosses as well. it helps with car control/confidence in a safe environment as well as learning to focus and looking/thinking ahead.

and for transportation of that car, i would be looking to see if anyone has a transporter going to the ARRC from florida and then another transporter from the ARRC to CT.

or others have posted up haulers that move ebay cars, etc.

JLawton
10-04-2009, 06:51 AM
There's a bunch of us in CT that drive IT cars and always willing to help out. Buying Dave's book is a MUST. You should have come up to LRP yesterday. Some good racing to see what it's all about.

Feel free to contact me direct with any questions. I'm the "New Driver Rep" for New England region so if you need any help getting through the process.

Good luck, and welcome!

924Guy
10-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Welcome! ITB is an EXCELLENT place to get started; economical, fun, and friendly!

Bill Miller
10-04-2009, 11:30 AM
First, welcome to the nuthouse!!! :happy204::smilie_pokal:

Second, take Jeff's advice and buy Dave's book, it's probably the single best resource for someone starting out that you can get. Certainly the best bang for the buck.

Lots of cool cars out there, and yes, buy over build for your first car. You should find plenty to pick from in the $3k - $6k range.

gran racing
10-04-2009, 11:39 AM
What type of budget do you have (if you don't mind me asking)? That will help us determine where a suitable place is for you to start. Regardless of what it is, there are ways for you to get involved and start the learning process. When you are ready to buy an IT car, there are plenty of people on this board who can help you find a good car for what you're looking for.

Thanks guys for the book plug. :) I really need to get my butt in gear with that thing again.

ridgeracer24
10-04-2009, 08:54 PM
First off I just wanted to say thanks guys for being so helpful. We sold Dave's book at my work (On Track Karting) maybe about 3 years ago. I can see if we have any copys left. If not, the first thing I'm going to do is buy it. I haven't set a budget yet but I dont think I can spend more than $3,500 on a car. I would have loved to go to LRP this weekend but had to work. I dont mean to sound stupid but, what are HPDE's? Also, running back to mid-pack was what I was expecting.

steve b
10-05-2009, 07:10 AM
I'm running my second season in ITB. I bought a racecar that was already built. The car is probably capable of a top 5 with the right driver but with me right now, I'm running mid pack.

I've made all of the races in the DC region this season (9 weekends). With 1 weekend to go, using the same set of tires all season, I figure it's going to end up costing about $500.00/weekend. Most weekends consist of a 15 minute qualifyer, 10 lap race (about 15 minutes), and a 20 lap race (about 30 minutes).

That's race gas, towing gas, entry fees, 1 set of tires, 2 sets of brake pads, and sleeping in the car trailer on a blow up matress. That's if nothing breaks!!!

Last year I ended up with a $3,000.00 engine bill after the 3rd weekend, so I only ended up making only one more weekend.

JLawton
10-05-2009, 07:46 AM
First off I just wanted to say thanks guys for being so helpful. We sold Dave's book at my work (On Track Karting) maybe about 3 years ago. I can see if we have any copys left. If not, the first thing I'm going to do is buy it. I haven't set a budget yet but I dont think I can spend more than $3,500 on a car. I would have loved to go to LRP this weekend but had to work. I dont mean to sound stupid but, what are HPDE's? Also, running back to mid-pack was what I was expecting.

What's your name?

HPDE: High Performance Driver Education

You're right down the street from Kessler Engineering: www.kesslerengineering.com (http://www.kesslerengineering.com)

One of the best IT builder/set-up/prep guys in the country. He's also pretty good at the Miata stuff but we don't hold that against him.........

Send me an e-mail and I'll give you some details on the spend my first few seasons.

jlawton at echn.org

gran racing
10-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Beyond being the best, he's rates are quite reasonable, always honest and you don't have to worry about "broken" parts, and other BS one might encounter with other shops.

When do you think you'd be in the market to buy a car?

ridgeracer24
10-05-2009, 09:06 AM
My name is Chris. I would be looking to get a car about mid Feb.

Bill Miller
10-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Chris,

Dave's book will provide you w/ lots of good info, read it a couple of times. A couple of thoughts on a car. Given your budget, you should be able to find something serviceable that fits your budget. I would suggest a more 'known' car over something that's a bit obscure. By that, I mean the model of the car, not a specific, individual car. For ITB, there are some good choices that are pretty well known. Any of the eligible VW's are good (hey, I'm a VW guy, that's why I mentioned them first), but for your budget, you're probably looking at an A1 (Rabbit) or A2 (1st gen. Golf) chassis. There are several Honda options as well. Something else you may want to look at is an AW11 (1st gen.) MR2, which was recently moved from ITA to ITB. Not the fastest car out there, but a very fun car to drive, and pretty forgiving. Balance is good, and it's adjustable on all 4 corners.

There are lots of other cars in ITB to choose from, but for someone just getting started, and on a pretty limited budget, I'd suggest something that's a known quantity. There will be plenty of knowledge out there, and a decent source for spares / go-fast stuff.

OriginalSterm
10-08-2009, 10:27 AM
I sent you a PM (not sure if you got it) about an ITB car that might fit your budget and needs. Rabbit GTI with tons of spares and professionally built. Looking to condense the fleet down into one car (ITB car, ITA car, and 2 other DE cars). Good luck on your search!

matt batson
10-08-2009, 08:27 PM
look into an accord. They are fast

ridgeracer24
10-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Got Dave's book today and havent put it down yet. I have done Skip Barber intro to racing and a HPDE w/ SCDA. Sadley I learned more w/ the SCDA then I did Skip Braber. From what I'm told the VW's are fast but can lift an inside wheel on the turns hindering handeling. My thought is if your lifting an inside wheel your gettting alot of bite in the corner. The 2 cars I have seen and liked so far are the GTI's and Crx.

Bill Miller
10-11-2009, 02:03 AM
Chris,

That's the nature of the suspension geometry in a VW. It's just what they do. Looks a bit intimidating to the uninitiated, but it's not really that bad, and you can tune a lot of it out w/ the proper suspension components.

CRallo
10-11-2009, 08:23 AM
I was gonna ask "Is this the Chris I think it is?" And then read your last post...

Haha, what's up man!? Welcome to the fray!

924Guy
10-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Well yes, it does help of you can keep all 4 on the ground... but what Bill said.

As an ITB competitor not running a VW, I would definitely second the motion that they're a great choice. They're both very competitive and plentiful for parts and knowledge.

My car's faster than them or the Accords - but good luck finding parts and knowledge - they're just too uncommon yet in IT. Not a great place to start as a beginner - you want to just be able to go turn laps, and having a car that can become competitive later, when you can too, is even better.

Though they do have an ugly tendency, like most front-drivers, to go turtle (we had a MKII I think GTI do two barrel rolls followed by two endos last weekend... think he'll be looking at a '24 now...)

CRallo
10-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Though they do have an ugly tendency, like most front-drivers, to go turtle (we had a MKII I think GTI do two barrel rolls followed by two endos last weekend... think he'll be looking at a '24 now...)

Vaughan, are you tryin to scare the poor guy!? lol

dickita15
10-11-2009, 08:51 AM
One cannot over stress the idea of running a car that multiple other people in your area are running when you are starting out. It just makes it so much easier to have people around when you have a question. I would go as far as saying go to the track and meet competitors in different cars and chose a car like the guys you seem to find best to hang out with. In ITB I guess that would mean VW, Honda, Volvo or maybe Audi.

Bill Miller
10-11-2009, 09:19 AM
Well yes, it does help of you can keep all 4 on the ground... but what Bill said.

As an ITB competitor not running a VW, I would definitely second the motion that they're a great choice. They're both very competitive and plentiful for parts and knowledge.

My car's faster than them or the Accords - but good luck finding parts and knowledge - they're just too uncommon yet in IT. Not a great place to start as a beginner - you want to just be able to go turn laps, and having a car that can become competitive later, when you can too, is even better.

Hey Vaughn,

There's a pretty nice looking street 924 for sale near me. I can stop and get a phone # and a price if you know someone looking for one.

Interesting comment about 'turtling' in a VW. I wonder how many VW racers have rolled their car?

CRallo
10-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Got Dave's book today and havent put it down yet. I have done Skip Barber intro to racing and a HPDE w/ SCDA. Sadley I learned more w/ the SCDA then I did Skip Braber. From what I'm told the VW's are fast but can lift an inside wheel on the turns hindering handeling. My thought is if your lifting an inside wheel your gettting alot of bite in the corner. The 2 cars I have seen and liked so far are the GTI's and Crx.

typical considering the course you took... The "Intro to Racing" is nothing more than an amusement park ride:blink:

Bill Miller
10-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Chris,

Saw this on the VW site. I know it might be a bit over your budget, but probably a decent car, and not too far from you. And you can probably negotiate a bit on the price. Not to mention that it's a cool piece of VW history.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4482614

924Guy
10-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Hey Vaughn,

There's a pretty nice looking street 924 for sale near me. I can stop and get a phone # and a price if you know someone looking for one.

Interesting comment about 'turtling' in a VW. I wonder how many VW racers have rolled their car?

Thanks, but no need - there's actually a built IT 924 in this area... and street '24's are anywhere... ;)

ridgeracer24
10-11-2009, 09:25 PM
My main goal for 2010 is to get on the track. I don't care much about racing wheel to wheel as taking a year or more to learn, understand and grow as a driver. I guessing there is no more events for the year. What I would like to do is "crew" for some one to see a little deeper into ITB racing.

gran racing
10-12-2009, 07:35 AM
Chris,
Dick makes an excellent point of having an idea of what cars people are running in the N.E. who might be a potential resource for you. At the same time, there's often quite a bit of cross-over knowledge among same makes but different models. If you were going to build a car from scratch, I'd believe the decision making process of which car to run would be different than if buying a pre-built car. In your situation, get some general knowledge about a bunch of the ITB cars running. Also try to figure out what your goals are. Is this first car the one you'll hold onto for a long time and have aspirations of winning races with? Or is this car just going to be a short term method to get out on the track and you're not concerned with winning now or in future. I will say that once you get a car, it can be difficult to get rid of it later as you begin collecting a supply of parts and knowledge. Ask me how I know. lol

Keep your options open to various cars and don't limit yourself too much. When you're serious about buying one, ask around to learn who might be in the market to sell their car. Take a close look at those options and determine if any of them meet what you're looking for.

In regards to the crewing for an ITB driver, I'm sure you won't have any problem finding people who would be happy to have you join them including myself (depending upon what happens with my engine that needs to be rebuilt).

ridgeracer24
10-12-2009, 12:34 PM
My goal is to get a car, gain seat time, take a mid pack car and build it into a race winning car(if possible).