PDA

View Full Version : Torsen1 or Torsen2?

dyoungre
09-30-2009, 08:04 AM
So I'm pulling together parts for an ITS RX7, and both T1 and T2 Torsen's can be found for an NA FC. Which is better for our car? My understanding is that the T2 has less lockup during decel, but is that true? Has anyone actually tried both?

mazdagt3
10-03-2009, 08:31 AM
So I'm pulling together parts for an ITS RX7, and both T1 and T2 Torsen's can be found for an NA FC. Which is better for our car? My understanding is that the T2 has less lockup during decel, but is that true? Has anyone actually tried both?

dave, the torsen units from 1.8 liter miatas work in the NA FC diff housing (same diffs that speedsource used in their ITS builds) basically it's the same diff "family". yes the gears and housings are much different, but the internals, likethe limited slip unit, are a bolt in.

the T1 was used from 94-97

the T2 was used from 99-02

the Tochigi Fuji was used from 03-05 DO NOT USE THIS ONE it's very weak.

i've driven both rx7's and miatas with both styles for years. you cannot tell the difference.

we have used units in stock.

call me at 570 262 1013 and i'll help out.

marc

C. Ludwig
10-03-2009, 12:24 PM
I've driven a car with the Type 1 and personally I much prefer a well setup and maintained clutch type diff. The big down side to the Torsen is it will go open if one wheel is lifted. Kind of maddening when you hop a curb and have the car feel like it hangs there for a split second.