PDA

View Full Version : Divisional Shootout-Nelson Ledges Cup

Renaultfool
09-23-2009, 05:51 PM
This is your first announcement about an added challange that will take place this October at the MVR Double Regional at Nelson Ledges. Nelson Ledges track facility sits on the border of two divisions of the SCCA, and therefore seems to be a venue that begs for a competitition between the two divisions, The NorthEast Division, and the Great Lakes Division. This year when you race this event you will be automatically entered as a competitor from your division in this head to head battle. There is no extra cost for this event. We just need the points from NE drivers so that we can beat the GL division and have bragging rights for the coming year.
My name is Carl Holbrook, an MVR member, and the representitive for the NE division drivers. The Great Lakes division has a representitive as well, Greg Vandersluis, who shall go down in defeat if we do our job well!
Entry forms are at www.mvrscca.org (http://www.mvrscca.org) and the Divisional Shootout rules are at http://www.mvrscca.org/events/2009divisionalshootout.pdf to see how the whole thing will work.
You can contact me with questions at my email address [email protected].
Greg can be contacted at [email protected] if any GL members happens to read the NE section of the Improved Touring website.
Plan on attending. MVR always puts on a great event. I will be adding updates as we get closer to the event.
See you there, Carl #41 ITC Renault Alliance

cjb25hs
09-24-2009, 12:10 AM
Already signed up.:eclipsee_steering:

ITA_honda
09-24-2009, 08:02 AM
You're on Carl...
:D

Should be a good event.

jay05
09-24-2009, 08:56 PM
In. Next and last race of the season.

ITA_honda
09-25-2009, 09:24 AM
In. Next and last race of the season.

Jay - that answers my question on the OVR Mid-Ohio thread. lol

jay05
09-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Just registered

Renaultfool
10-05-2009, 09:05 AM
OK gang, let's keep the NE entries coming in so that we can win the first Divisional Shootout at Nelson Ledges!!! I know we are good enough on track, we just need to be strong (in numbers) enough to do it.
See you there,
Carl

joeg
10-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Carl--Good to hear you are coming!

ITA_honda
10-05-2009, 11:27 AM
What Carl said...keep those entries coming in! Only 12 more days till the event! I am heading the Great Lakes Division so if you have any questions...send me a message or send me an email at [email protected]

Should be a good event.
May the best division win!:smilie_pokal:

jay05
10-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Get those forms in. Come on fellow Cer's. Let's see if we can out number A.

Current IT entry list

Group 4 ITB, ITC, SM, SSM, SSB, SSC 9
22 ITB Ray Santomo
95 ITB Dean Beilstein
15 ITC Joe Gumkowski
26 ITC Bill Shearer
86 ITC Jim Hardesty
05 ITC Jason Jacko
07 ITC Jim Royal
98 SM Charlie Campbell
99 SM Bob Doernberg

Group 5 ITA, IT7, ITS, T2, T3, STU 7
4 ITA Greg Vandersluis
11 ITA Chris Braunlich
76 ITA Mike Petrusko
88 ITA Rick Jarrett
04 ITA Richard Kozak
35 IT 7 Tom Nutter
12 ITS Ward Faville

jumbojimbo
10-09-2009, 04:34 PM
I thought Ryan was running? Maybe he's tired of Nelson after the Lemons race.

I'm still hoping to come up but work is kicking my *ss. I actually tried to run the race this weekend at MO instead, but I just couldn't make it happen. 55 hour weeks make it hard to prepare. I'm going to try hard though. It's going to be a long winter and I want to bask in the glow of passing Jay until spring.

RedMisted
10-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Before I lay my car down for my home division, may I ask what the prize will be? What will be the spoils of this grand undertaking known as the Great Divisional Shootout?
Maybe we should commission the creation of a fine chalice for the winning division. It can be called "The Vandersluis Cup" :D

jay05
10-15-2009, 02:10 AM
Ryan..... Why are we not signed up yet?

15 ITC Joe Gumkowski
26 ITC Bill Shearer
41 ITC Carl Holbrook
86 ITC Jim Hardesty
05 ITC Jason Jacko
07 ITC Jim Royal

cjb25hs
10-15-2009, 08:35 AM
So who is bringing their snow tires for Saturday. Weather looks pretty bad for Saturday with highs in the mid-30's with a 70% chance of rain and snow showers:blink:

Looks like I might have to bust out the old Falken Azenis:eek:

I'm guessing that if I run my Toyo's that I will be uping the starting pressures at least 3 to 4 lbs.

See everyone there:happy204:

joeg
10-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Dirt stockers are good snows.

Seen this before at Nelson!

Can be lots of fun.

ITA_honda
10-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Before I lay my car down for my home division, may I ask what the prize will be? What will be the spoils of this grand undertaking known as the Great Divisional Shootout?
Maybe we should commission the creation of a fine chalice for the winning division. It can be called "The Vandersluis Cup" :D

Use my name for a Cup? Nahh. Im not special enough.:blink: LOL. but it does have a nice ring to it!:D

RedMisted
10-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Use my name for a Cup? Nahh. Im not special enough.:blink: LOL. but it does have a nice ring to it!:D

Yeah, kinda like pro racing's Vanderbilt Cup, which dates back to the earliest days of the last century.

Just checked the GCR to see if Sno-Cats are listed under ITR. Damn. Given the weather forecast, I sure could use one....:D

mvrbrad
10-18-2009, 05:59 PM
It was a good fight with many lead changes over the weekend . At the end of racing on Saturday the points spreads was only 4 points, Great Lakes leading 1016 to 1012 for Northeast . Sunday Team Northeast dug themselves a big big hole when 2 of their 3 points earning cars took each other out bringing out an extended red flag. They battled back hard but the hole was just to deep with the number of races left in the day. When the final points were added up Team Great Lakes won the Inaugural Divisional Shootout for the Nelson Ledges Cup with 1976 points over Team Northeast and their 1952 points. Two days of racing with every car entered having an impact on the points and it comes down to only 24 points difference . Just remember that the trophy is up for grabs again next year, Team Great Lakes will have to defend it and Team Northeast has a year to get ready to take it away.

Eagle7
10-18-2009, 07:39 PM
:smilie_pokal:

ITA_honda
10-19-2009, 09:07 AM
Team GREAT LAKES!!!!
way to go guys!!
Nice racing by all the groups!

:happy204::smilie_pokal:

joeg
10-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Fun Weekend too!

A bit chilly, but no huge rain during any of the sessions.

Get out for the Pumpkin.

ITA_honda
10-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Fun Weekend too!

Get out for the Pumpkin.

Ya know - its one thing to run in the wet when its 70 degrees out...its another thing to run in the wet when its 35 degrees! the track was literally like black ice during the first qualifying session Saturday morning. I debated not even going out but I did and I spun in the kink. was that ever a ride...oh and I did some landscaping right before Turn 12 :blink:

RacerBill
10-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Fun Weekend too!

Get out for the Pumpkin.

Heading out to the garage to finish up the new engine install!

RedMisted
10-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Ya know - its one thing to run in the wet when its 70 degrees out...its another thing to run in the wet when its 35 degrees! the track was literally like black ice during the first qualifying session Saturday morning. I debated not even going out but I did and I spun in the kink. was that ever a ride...oh and I did some landscaping right before Turn 12 :blink:

At least you did not do your spinning during a race!!!
Congrats on your overall win on Sat. You deserved it. :happy204:

ITA_honda
10-20-2009, 08:18 AM
At least you did not do your spinning during a race!!!
Congrats on your overall win on Sat. You deserved it. :happy204:

Thank You Chris

joeg
10-20-2009, 08:46 AM
So Bill I take it you will be out for the Pumpkin?

Guaranteed "warmer" than this past weekend!!

ITA_honda
10-20-2009, 08:54 AM
it better be warmer!!!:D

joeg
10-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Perhaps a degree or so...that's why we have Nomex Underwear!

jay05
10-21-2009, 03:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaL2kYfZZEI

ITA_honda
10-21-2009, 03:22 PM
dude Jay - you guys were going at it!
nice video!
Im still watching my in car camera like everyday from this past weekend. lol. you def. learn a lot.

RedMisted
10-21-2009, 04:03 PM
dude Jay - you guys were going at it!
nice video!
Im still watching my in car camera like everyday from this past weekend. lol. you def. learn a lot.

Greg, can you tell from your video exactly what happened when I lost control coming off of 12? All I remember is that the back end got loose. I've never, EVER lost the car in that location before (through all of 8 years of track days and racing)so it still puzzles me as to what happened.

Normally I take the middle of the track to 13, but sometimes I overshoot and go to the right a little bit. This usually isn't bad because the entry to 13 is very forgiving. I wonder if the far right side between 12 and 13 was greased over by a previous engine detonation or covered with dirt. I do remember that whole chute looking a bit dirty.

You know as a racer that even the most catastrophic driving errors can be accepted if the driver can understand what happened. What is most unsettling is when something occurs and it's hard to figure out. Like, how do you prevent a repeat mistake in the future? :blink:

jumbojimbo
10-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Sorry it's short and kind of choppy, but do you recognize anyone here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIXxKr2jj_c

ITA_honda
10-21-2009, 09:16 PM
HAHA!!! nice video! I wouldnt know who those two are...no idea.:D

ITA_honda
10-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Greg, can you tell from your video exactly what happened when I lost control coming off of 12? All I remember is that the back end got loose. I've never, EVER lost the car in that location before (through all of 8 years of track days and racing)so it still puzzles me as to what happened.

Normally I take the middle of the track to 13, but sometimes I overshoot and go to the right a little bit. This usually isn't bad because the entry to 13 is very forgiving. I wonder if the far right side between 12 and 13 was greased over by a previous engine detonation or covered with dirt. I do remember that whole chute looking a bit dirty.

You know as a racer that even the most catastrophic driving errors can be accepted if the driver can understand what happened. What is most unsettling is when something occurs and it's hard to figure out. Like, how do you prevent a repeat mistake in the future? :blink:

Chris - I studied that part over and over again as well. Your turn in seems absolutly fine. But it looks like you get on the power a little early. The back end steps out just a smidge. I didnt think anything of it until the "smidge" got bigger and bigger and bigger and the spin.
I just couldnt believe it went for 2 whole turns! haha.

By the way - I noticed you drive your line very well each and every lap. Kudos!

x1/9racer
10-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Standings from the ITC races please.

jumbojimbo
10-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Saturday:................ ...Sunday:
Shearer .....1:23.776 ...Shearer ......1:22.641
Royal .........1:24.263 ...Jacko .........1:22.652
Jacko .........1:24.061 ....Royal ........1:22.549
Hardesty ....1:23.944 ....Hardesty ....1:22.487
Gumkowski 1:28.325 ....Gumkowski 1:26.284
Scott .........1:27.331 ....Scott .........1:25.330

Both days Shearer was hounded for the lead, Royal had the lead for a couple of laps on Sat.

Stat of the week: when I woke up at 6am on Sunday it was 31.5 degrees INSIDE the van.

RedMisted
10-22-2009, 12:55 AM
Sorry it's short and kind of choppy, but do you recognize anyone here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIXxKr2jj_c

Jim: Thanks for the upload. Where have I seen that red Mustang before? Oh, I think I was driving it in a dream I had sometime last weekend! :D

And Greg: Thanks for complimenting the artistry of my driving line. Also: After much careful analysis and interviewing several key eyewitnesses, I have concluded that the driver of the #91 ITR had no previous experience with running a loose RWD car in such frigid conditions. And on non-pliable race tires at that. Therefore, I shall close this investigation and dully advise the guilty to TIGHTEN UP THE DAMN REAR THE NEXT TIME TEMPS DIP BELOW 45F!!!

x1/9racer
10-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks, Jim.