PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Suspension Suspension!!!! HELP

andysland
09-22-2009, 08:40 AM
Ok here's the deal my 92 civic hb 1.5L has 260000 ml on it and now its time to strip all the suspension components and put new hp parts for the track. So first I researched bushing and found that energy susp. has some pretty good poly full set at a reasonable price around $125. Then I found a few tie rod and ball joint kit that include all pieces for around $80 to $120. Sway bars are pretty cut and dry full set around $50. Now the hard part the struts an coilovers I have seen some real cheap coil over sets that I could buy good struts separate or I have seen some full sets where they are together from $200 to $800 and I know this is a crucial buy. WHAT IS YOU THOUGHTS ON THESE ISSUES AND WHAT SUGGESTION DO U HAVE ABOUT WHICH ONES I SHOULD PURCHASE PLEASE HELP...... I WOULD REATHER U TELL ME THAN ME FIND OOUT THE HARD WAY..... THANKS AGAIN

downingracing
09-22-2009, 09:02 AM
Is this going to be a track-only car? (Trailer to and from the track and never driven on the street?)

quadzjr
09-22-2009, 09:04 AM
what are you planning on doing with this car? yo umetnion how many miles are on it.. then mention it is for the track. IS this an IT car? sounds like you are on a good path.. I my personal preference I vote Koni for coilovers.

andysland
09-22-2009, 09:24 AM
This is going to be an IT car only on the track or trailer thats it...

joeg
09-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Call Ground Control; have them set you up.

mossaidis
09-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Call Ground Control; have them set you up.

Awesome starter kit includes the SPSS3 Koni single adj. with a set of Ground Control coilovers. The shocks are good for 1000f/700r springs and the coilovers allow you to sway springs until the cows come home.

Something else... I recommend going on the conversative side of spring rates. I use spec rally tarmac spring rates and then add 50 lbs +/1 depending on your choice. I use 750f/450r.

Enjoy!

Xian
09-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Yep, revalved Koni's (SPSS3 valving or you may be able to buy "off the shelf" race valved Koni's which are the same thing) combined with Ground Control threaded body coil over perches are a great combo. These Koni's can handle rates up to, and a bit above, 1000#.

Spring rate is something to research and be prepared to tune... most folks run a rear stiff bias. i.e. 600F 900R

andysland
09-22-2009, 12:31 PM
I found the koni race spss3 "race" struts with the ground control kit is that what you guys are refering to...

Xian
09-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Yep, those are the ones. I know on the 88-91 cars they're revalved and shortened. Not sure if they're shortened for your chassis too.

andysland
09-23-2009, 07:52 AM
I found a few different vendors that sell the combo with the koni race and the ground control and the best I could find was running around $1350 then the sport for $799 and the top hats for about $120 a pair. Is there a vendor that is selling them any cheaper or is this the best I can get?? And Im tring to figure what would probly be the best spring rate for the ft and rear....

Ed Funk
09-23-2009, 08:02 AM
On our A CRX, we're running 650 front, 900 rear, works ok on some tracks, but is a bit to tail happy at others for this old man to keep up with (Mid-O). Sorting some options now for next year.

andysland
09-23-2009, 08:33 AM
I was of the understanding that you want more in front due to weight unless you are lookin for more of a oversteel on the car. with that 900 on rear that does sound like a little much wooo hold on.. But there is situation were that would be better for sure. Im no expert thats for sure.

joeg
09-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Andy--For stiffness it is Wheel Rate; not Spring Rate.

You have to look at the suspension geometry. If a rear spring is mounted in board on a car with a control arm IRS set-up, the wheel rate can be sometimes less than half of the Spring Rate.

Accordingly, if you hear high rate in the back, don't be that startled. Just get a consesus of quick drivers running the same car.

andysland
09-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Thats what I need is clarification on these things that’s why Im asking to get a better understanding of the techniques behind it.
Is there anything else I need to know? Thanks

Xian
09-23-2009, 02:44 PM
I found a few different vendors that sell the combo with the koni race and the ground control and the best I could find was running around $1350 then the sport for $799 and the top hats for about $120 a pair. Is there a vendor that is selling them any cheaper or is this the best I can get?? And Im tring to figure what would probly be the best spring rate for the ft and rear....

Just to be clear, what was being suggested are these (http://www.ltbmotorsports.com/hoci92de92fr.html) for the front and the same type for the rear. Figure about $1200 for a set. You'll also need some sort of threaded perch setup (like what GC sells). Here's the GC's at there site LINK (http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=519/CA=55). They're showing them at $339. The shocks should already be shortened so you don't need/want the GC extended tophats.

On our A CRX, we're running 650 front, 900 rear, works ok on some tracks, but is a bit to tail happy at others for this old man to keep up with (Mid-O). Sorting some options now for next year.

I was of the understanding that you want more in front due to weight unless you are lookin for more of a oversteel on the car. with that 900 on rear that does sound like a little much wooo hold on.. But there is situation were that would be better for sure. Im no expert thats for sure.

The setup for a CRX is going to be very apples: oranges compared to your Civic. Different suspension design and wheelbase (especially!) will give completely different handling with the same setup. What I ran on my CRX is drastically different than what I have on my Civic. I went from 500F 700R with a 7/8" ST bar on the CRX to 700F 1000R and a BIG speedway bar on the Civic. The front suspension was changed from the 88-91 cars to the 92+ cars. Again, it'll be apples: oranges to a certain degree between what I run adn what you may end up with. If you haven't raced a FWD car before, you may want to start out with a more heavily front biased setup so the car isn't as loose as how many have them setup... i.e. a "fast" setup may not be fast for you... right now. What sway bars you pick (front and rear) will also have a big impact on what rates you run. I think you mentioned that you had already picked out your bars? What are you thinking about running?

GBRacing on here runs a Civic Si Hatch and may chime in... he'd have some good first hand info.

Christian

trobbins
10-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Since we no longer have the car and the current owner no longer uses our old setup , I suppose it wouldn't hurt to tell what we used to run on our car .
We ran a 91 Civic Standard in ITC from 2002 to 2007 and the setup we had on it was .
Pro Shocks with Eibach 650 lb Front 800lb rear . I can't remember the model # on the shocks . Sorry .
No sway bar in front and an Si swaybar on the rear mounted in the stock configuration .
The car was fast . It won the 2001 ARRC , set track records at Mid Ohio three times and still holds the current SCCA ITC race lap record , we ran .02 sec off the track record at Waterford Hills and finished fourth at the 2006 ARRC within .07 sec of the track record at Road Atlanta .
PM me and I can get you in contact with the current owner , he may still have the parts . Or email me at [email protected]

mossaidis
10-19-2009, 04:02 PM
I have a 92 Si which is the exact suspension geo you are running with just a little more weight. 750f/450r with stock front sway and 24mm adj rear has been extremely flexible and stable for me. Springs are cheap... shocks are expensive. Those Koni's are adjustable and will give you the simple play settings you need to swap springs anytime you want. Most succesful EG suspensions (both rr'ers and auto'xers) have greater front spring rate than rear - time and time again. For your reference, DMS road rally tarmac spring rates are 700/400 with stock front and small rear sway... which allows for VERY stable car. Go stiffer as you feel more comfrontable, as you change sways, tires and your driving style. For instance, I've been running my setup for 3 years and I've been VERY happy. Now that I've running hoosiers, I plan on going up +50 lbs all the way around for testing purposes at a TT. Too stiff? No big loss, I take them off and be done with it.

Also, try redshiftmotorsports.com for GC/Koni parts - tell Chris 'mickey' sent you.