PDA

View Full Version : Febi or Meyle?

evanwebb
09-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Have seen posts that indicate that either of these brands are good for hubs, ball joints, etc. But given the choice, which one would you pick and why? I have seen that they are more or less the same price, so that's not a discriminator... Thanks!

Bill Miller
09-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Evan,

I've never used Meyle parts, but I've been using Febi stuff for years on my VW's, and have always had good luck w/ their stuff.

Lael Cleland
09-07-2009, 11:06 PM
FEBI/Bilstine!!!!!......I got a batch of bad Mayle hubs..They didnt fit, and waisted 2 brgs.....Meyle is the after market crap in germany......I have had issues with Mayle ign coils(1.8T), MK1 hubs, Timing belt tensioners....they make good coolant flanges, seals, suspention bushings,ect...

P.S. Mayle hubs are lighter than the good ones, but not as strong.....

Dave Zaslow
09-08-2009, 07:12 AM
Febi would always be my preference. I've also had problems withe Meyle parts not fitting correctly. I think Febi QC's their products a lot more, no matter where they are coming from....

DZ

evanwebb
09-08-2009, 09:24 AM
OK, Febi it is! Thanks for all the replies.

jay05
09-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Febi. Sad note though. They are now made in China.

mgyip
09-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Febi. Sad note though. They are now made in China.

Just remember, "Made in Japan" used to be like swearing in public but these days, people are fighting to buy Japanese products. "Made in China" isn't the worse option available - I've been using Chinese junk rotors on my racecar - they last just as long as ATE rotors at half the cost.

As for Febi/Bilstein vs Meyle - I've been using Meyle for a while and have no qualms about their products. The only bad Meyle product I've encountered was a clutch disc that grenaded - I can't pin that on Meyle though since I've also grenaded Sachs discs in the past.

Lael Cleland
09-08-2009, 08:46 PM
OMG FEBI=CHINA? The ones I am holding say Germany.....And I second the cheeper the better on the rotors, we had some brembo rotors crack, but not a china one yet....

Mk1 hubs suck in general!!!

mgyip
09-09-2009, 09:47 AM
OMG FEBI=CHINA? The ones I am holding say Germany.....And I second the cheeper the better on the rotors, we had some brembo rotors crack, but not a china one yet....

Mk1 hubs suck in general!!!

Mk1 hubs are great - unlike the Mk2 hubs, the Mk1 hubs ALWAYS fail...

BTW - want to buy some old German Febi hubs and FAG bearings for a Mk1? I have a set that's been collecting dust since I sold off my last Mk1 2 years ago...

ITA_honda
09-09-2009, 09:59 AM
I will only buy factory Honda parts for my Civic.
I have gone with some aftermarket companies concerning hubs and they have been a failure. Since installation of factory parts, I have not had an issue. Probably because of the fact the hubs from Honda say "made in Japan" verses the SKF hubs "made in China" :eek:

Lael Cleland
09-09-2009, 11:53 AM
I have had no issues with SKF bearings, FAG/SKF are OEM for vw/audi....And now SKF/Lebro are in bed together.....:blink:......

Campbell
09-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Mgyip - I would be interested in the Febi hubs and bearings, shoot me a note, thanks