PDA

View Full Version : trailer jack post thrust bearings?

tom91ita
08-16-2009, 12:16 PM
my trailer jack started making odd noises and was getting harder to turn.

i pulled it apart and found numerous BB sized ball bearings in it and what appears to be a failed race. i know that i have likely exceeded the 3000# static and 2000# lift limits since frequently i am jacking up the front of the trailer (& back of the truck) to get a better angle when off loading the car.

any one else fail these? any better, more heavy duty bearings out there like taper roller bearings?

i think i had something relatively simple like this based on the autopsy of the stuff i found (not right size just for example purposes).

http://cgi.ebay.com/51103-Thrust-Bearing-17mm-x-30mm-x-9mm-Axial-Ball_W0QQitemZ400036657133QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item5d240af7ed&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

lateapex911
08-16-2009, 01:02 PM
The one welded on my trailer crapped out. I got a cool bolt on swing away version with a wheel. That one didn't do so well when somebody decided to move my truck, while it was in the 'jacked" position to load my car. Folded in half. Needing one NOW, I stopped in at a marine store, and got the mother of all jacks, and bolted it on. It was pretty cheap actually, and it's nice to know that even driving away with it down won't hurt it!

Point being, I think thay all act up/fail and they are pretty cheap, so overdoing it is an option.

tom91ita
09-12-2009, 06:01 PM
update;

new bearing from local supply shop was $13.20 with company discount

Make: INA
Model: D1

ID: 0.500"
OD: 1.219"
Height: 0.563"

Capacity: Dynamic = 3850 #'s; Static = 5600 #'s

works great. had to modify (waller out) the hole in the handle because the bearing was taller (balls about twice the size of the old one) so the hole in the post did not have the clearance it did have. "fixing" the handle was easier..