PDA

View Full Version : Re-Tub

GBugg
08-13-2009, 04:22 PM
What’s the general consensus on re-tubbing? I crunched my CRX at Road ATL in February. The tub is trashed.

I have a new shell, motor, tranny, suspension parts, etc. And I hope to start on the car soon – not in time for the Barber race though :( . My question is this: What’s the difference between a “re-tub” and a “new-build”? I’ll have to have a thorough inspection either way before they’ll let me back on track. If I call it a repair, I save the few bucks for a new log book, and keep the car’s history intact. But is it really this car’s history? Or do I just burry the log books with the old tub and start with a clean record?

Thoughts? :shrug:

mossaidis
08-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Clean record...

jhooten
08-13-2009, 04:43 PM
New tub with a different VIN is a new car it needs a new log book. A new log boook cost $5. What is $5 in the over all cost of a build?

dickita15
08-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Around here if it is a new cage it is a new car. If you reuse the cage it is a gray area. I have done it both ways. If it is the old log book it is the old cage rules. If it is a new race car it is the new cage rules. If you use the old book the tech inspector crosses out the old vin and writes in the new one just like he would if you were changing classes.
Around here new logbooks are $10. Additional books for an existing car are $5.

Greg Amy
08-14-2009, 08:00 AM
A new log boook cost $5. What is $5 in the over all cost of a build?
It's more than that, especially if the car uses, for example, a cage that's grandfathered in but not currently legal on a new build. But, generally speaking, you're correct.

GA

CCARVER
08-14-2009, 08:19 AM
What’s the general consensus on re-tubbing? I crunched my CRX at Road ATL in February. The tub is trashed.

I have a new shell, motor, tranny, suspension parts, etc. And I hope to start on the car soon – not in time for the Barber race though :( . My question is this: What’s the difference between a “re-tub” and a “new-build”? I’ll have to have a thorough inspection either way before they’ll let me back on track. If I call it a repair, I save the few bucks for a new log book, and keep the car’s history intact. But is it really this car’s history? Or do I just burry the log books with the old tub and start with a clean record?

Thoughts? :shrug:
Want to rent a CRX for Barber?
WE have a spot open for the Pro IT race.

GBugg
08-14-2009, 08:38 AM
This is definitly going to be a new car with some old parts in it.

Thanks for the offer CCARVER, but I think I'll just get back in my whites and watch Barber from a corner this year.

jhooten
08-14-2009, 08:40 AM
It's more than that, especially if the car uses, for example, a cage that's grandfathered in but not currently legal on a new build. But, generally speaking, you're correct.

GA

Maybe it is just me BUT, if I hit hard enough to damage the tub to the point it needs to be replaced, the cage is going to need to be cut out of the old tub, damage done in the crash repaired, and welded into the new tub, I am going to have doubts about the integrity of that cage. Again it may just be me but I would rather invest in a new cage that meets the current specs and I know is sound than one that is chopped, bobbed, and cobbled back together.