PDA

View Full Version : SpeedSource Built ITS RX-7 Thats Been Sitting for Six Years

Kartracerdad
08-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Newbie going to run the double school at Roebling with it in February. Does it need updated seatbelt, net, etc? Would the cage still be legal? Fluids, plugs probably need changing. Any ITS performance updates for that car since '03? Any advice would be welcome. Don't want to show up with a car that hasn't been on the track for six years and not be able to run.

seckerich
08-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Drop me a pm with a phone number and I will go over it with you.

Mazmarc63
08-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Watch out, Steve's gonna try to buy it from you.:D

It wouldn't happen to be orange, would it???

jvarble
08-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Where are you located?

Kartracerdad
08-12-2009, 12:42 PM
I'm in Jacksonville, FL. The Daytona prototype driver who own's it wouldn't sell it to me but said I could use it all I want, under the premise of "you break/bend it, you fix it". Not a bad deal as long as I have no problemms from it sitting six years.

Charles Perry
08-12-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm an IT guy here in Jax as well. Not an RX-7 dude but will be glad to help if possible.
Glad to have another IT racer, there are several here in town.

Hey Marc, interesting race on Sunday?

Mazmarc63
08-12-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm in Jacksonville, FL. The Daytona prototype driver who own's it wouldn't sell it to me but said I could use it all I want, under the premise of "you break/bend it, you fix it". Not a bad deal as long as I have no problemms from it sitting six years.

Thats a good car. If it runs, replace the belts, fluids and tires. Nut and bolt it and align it. Should be good to go for the school. Bring an extra gearbox, set of tires and brakes and you should be fine.

[quote]Hey Marc, interesting race on Sunday?[quote]

You could say that. You saw the pic. I somehow made it between the wall and the Miata without hitting anything. Then I got lucky. Cohen got wrecked (he's okay, car- meh). Seck broke and Meno threw it off the track in the chicane. I ended up 2nd again. Better to be lucky than good. As an adder, Meno was light. That moved Cliff to 3rd.:happy204:

seckerich
08-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Watch out, Steve's gonna try to buy it from you.:D

It wouldn't happen to be orange, would it???

Who me???:rolleyes: I am in "catch and release" mode on race cars right now. Hopefully a new RX for next year. Just not a 7.

JeffYoung
08-12-2009, 03:13 PM
How bad is Jim's car??

Mazmarc63
08-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Anything can be fixed. Basically folded the LR up and under. B pillar is wrinkled. Had to be *seperated* with Flat Tow Bob's truck so it would roll. Broke the windshield. Rear floor is wrinkled.

He is considering re-tubbing.

Missed ya man.:shrug:

seckerich
08-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Man I missed that about Jims car. Sucks after all the work he has done to make that car a looker. I have access to a few good donor tubs if needed.

Kartracerdad
08-12-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm an IT guy here in Jax as well. Not an RX-7 dude but will be glad to help if possible.
Glad to have another IT racer, there are several here in town.

Hey Marc, interesting race on Sunday?

Thanks Charles. I was down at Daytona(Ormond-hometown)for the weekend watching the SARRC race with my 11yr old and saw a fast ITS 280zx running Saturday but didn't see it Sunday. Was that you? OBTW, I'm 90% sure I'm getting the car on the track at Sebring with the Hooked on Driving Roush Performance club the last Sunday of the month. Henry the director said you get five 25minute sessions during the day and as long as I'm not too much of a moving chicane I could run with the advanced group. For $295 that's two hours of track time, which is a probably a pretty good investment. Hopefully by the end of the day I'll be getting close to the car's potential.

Charles Perry
08-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Yes that was me. I just went down Saturday for the day. Made a bunch of suspension changes and wanted to see where I was. Still need a bunch of work. I had a little oversteer on entry and understeer the rest of the way. Not good!

Charles Perry
08-13-2009, 08:48 AM
Marc,
how did Cohen get wrecked?

its66
08-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Charles,
Drop me an email... [email protected]

Steve,
Thanks for the compliments--you know what it looked like when I got it, so you can appreciate it. As you know, getting them nice and maintaining that image is very difficult!

seckerich
08-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Charles,
Drop me an email... [email protected]

Steve,
Thanks for the compliments--you know what it looked like when I got it, so you can appreciate it. As you know, getting them nice and maintaining that image is very difficult!

No excuses now for not having a car ready to go. That was a real "looker" I rolled in your garage. Just be sure to keep the "Extreme" sticker on the glass!! Now get to work.:D

its66
08-17-2009, 05:00 PM
No excuses now for not having a car ready to go. That was a real "looker" I rolled in your garage. Just be sure to keep the "Extreme" sticker on the glass!! Now get to work.:D

I've already started, interior is gutted, Sunroof is out, Sound deadening out by thi weekend. :0 It may not be the "looker" but it's perfect for the purpose. Straight and rust free. The Extreme sticker will not make it through the build process, but I promise a replica will be placed in your honor.

BTW.. Many thanks to the friends who donated their time, effort and sacrificed several trailer tires to help me out. Steve and Scott, you guys are AWESOME!!!!

Now, getting off the internet again, I've got work to do... Wait till you guys see this one. The three that know of my plans ...sssshhhhhh

JeffYoung
08-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Are you going to actually put some torque in this one? lol...good luck with the build.

its66
08-18-2009, 09:32 AM
What is this "torque" you speak of? :shrug:

seckerich
08-18-2009, 10:47 AM
What is this "torque" you speak of? :shrug:

Jim did you miss the super secret meeting about rotary torque?? Let me break it down:

You have two squirrels spinning paddles inside your motor. All you need to do is feed them some high protein acorns, a golds gym membership, and an 8.12 gear set. For "push to pass" 12 volts applied to the proper area seems to work. Get on with it man!!

Eagle7
08-18-2009, 12:25 PM
When did they start letting us use push to pass? I thought PETA had that outlawed. :rolleyes:

E-3
08-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Jim did you miss the super secret meeting about rotary torque?? Let me break it down:

You have two squirrels spinning paddles inside your motor. All you need to do is feed them some high protein acorns, a golds gym membership, and an 8.12 gear set. For "push to pass" 12 volts applied to the proper area seems to work. Get on with it man!!

Dang, and I thought it was done with smoke and mirrors!

Bryan KF8G
08-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Man I missed that about Jims car. Sucks after all the work he has done to make that car a looker. I have access to a few good donor tubs if needed.

I wouldn't mind finding an '83 or so donor. My car is very fat and needs a serious diet. It might be easier to start over...