PDA

View Full Version : 'splain it to me

erlrich
08-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Not a direct IT class question, but related; and besides, with the brain trust we have here why would I go anywhere else :shrug:? Anyway...

So, I was daydreaming about how awesome it would be to 'experience a national event', now that I'm about to become a national driver :cool:, and started to peruse the ST class rules thinking that would probably be the easiest way to take an IT car to a national event. The first relevant part I came across was the section under eligibility that states "GCR listed IT cars, 1985 and newer, under the current IT specifications". This brought up the question; does this mean that none of the other specification in the ST section apply to an IT car, so long as it meets the current IT specifications? If so, the next logical question is, which ST class would an IT car run in?

There is nothing in the ST rules that specifically lists which class an IT car would run under, but there are a couple of relevant statements/rules that are somewhat contradictory IMO. First, the stated HP targets of 450 for STO and 250 for STU. This would seem to indicate that most, if not all, IT cars would run in STU. There are some ITR cars that should slightly exceed the 250hp target, but when you factor in all the other differences (suspension, brakes, chassis prep...) between an IT-prep car and a true WCTC car there should be no way in hell the IT car could keep up. However, if you read the STU technical regulations they specifically state that only engines up to 6 cylinders and 3.0 litres are allowed, which would put some ITR cars in STO. Again though, this only applies if you accept that some of the ST regulations do apply to all cars, which does not appear to be the case based on the eligibility rule.

So, what do you guys think? Has anyone ever heard of this being an issue? Has anyone tried running an IT car in ST yet?

Greg Amy
08-05-2009, 12:27 PM
...does this mean that none of the other specification in the ST section apply to an IT car, so long as it meets the current IT specifications?

Correct.

...which ST class would an IT car run in?... There is nothing in the ST rules that specifically lists which class an IT car would run under...Oops. That's a fuster-cluck. The BP/DP rules specifically stated that IT cars were eligible to run DP.

I'd suggest, absent further official clarification, the intent is for all IT cars to run STU.

Has anyone tried running an IT car in ST yet?You bet, a lot of us in the Northeast have; I think AndyB was DP Divisional champ in '07 and Rob Breault was champ in '08. Great track time, especially for doubling-up on Regional weekends, and kinda fun to run National weekends, though the competition is always light... - GA

Greg Amy
08-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Hey, Earl, you want to send a note to the CRB requesting clarification, or should I? It was your catch, you should get the glory... ;) - GA

DoubleXL240Z
08-05-2009, 01:35 PM
ST cars are required to run a fuel cell as well. I know of a few IT cars that ran with stock tanks. I didn't have a dog in the fight so I kept quiet. Unless said cars had fuel tanks positioned between axle centerlines.

Greg Amy
08-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Chris, IT cars can run in ST, even without a cell. Per the rules, as long as they meet IT specs they are legal in ST. - GA

jimmyc
08-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Do WCTC cars have to run like they did in WC?

Or could the cars take out the restrictors and have fun?

shwah
08-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Do WCTC cars have to run like they did in WC?

Or could the cars take out the restrictors and have fun?
You have 3 choices:
IT car per ITCS
STx car per STCS
WC car in WC configuration.

erlrich
08-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Hey, Earl, you want to send a note to the CRB requesting clarification, or should I? It was your catch, you should get the glory... ;) - GA

Greg - go for it. I'm working on my request to add 300 lbs each to the ITA Miata, CRX, and Integra :D

JLawton
08-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Greg - go for it. I'm working on my request to add 300 lbs each to the ITA Miata, CRX, and Integra :D

He, he, he

mossaidis
08-05-2009, 05:05 PM

Duh , of course. :) Just leave the 92-95 Civic off the list... B)

Greg Amy
08-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Done. You rat b*****d...

;)

lateapex911
08-05-2009, 06:22 PM

Don't forget the Nissan SE-R, the Nissan NX2000, the Saturn SC2, and, of course, the Nissan 240SX. I mean, if you're going after the top dogs, better get them all!

dominojd
08-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Don't forget the Nissan SE-R, the Nissan NX2000, the Saturn SC2, and, of course, the Nissan 240SX. I mean, if you're going after the top dogs, better get them all!

Yeah and just the one over dog IT7 in the NE. :D

erlrich
08-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Duh , of course. :) Just leave the 92-95 Civic off the list... B)

Sure...just don't win any races until after I'm done ;)

erlrich
08-05-2009, 09:34 PM
You rat b*****d...

;)

Hey, I can't help it if you suddenly decided to go all mainstream on us with no prior warning :shrug:

erlrich
08-05-2009, 09:36 PM

Jake, you just don't get it...it's all about me.

Although, if Joe doesn't slow his ass down soon he may find his sled on the list too :D

mossaidis
08-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Sure...just don't win any races until after I'm done ;)

"No good deed goes unpunished." Thanks... As far as 'winning' is concerned - HIGHLY unlikely at NARRC Runoffs... :cool:

lateapex911
08-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Yeah and just the one over dog IT7 in the NE. :D

yea, and THAT's what you lose sleep over at night.... :shrug:

Wreckerboy
08-06-2009, 03:15 PM
I'm sorry Earl/Dave, but that can't happen. Remember what Dick noted in the other thread:

... Miatas are a protected class. Dissing them is considered a hate crime. Some federal rule or such

quadzjr
08-06-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm sorry Earl/Dave, but that can't happen. Remember what Dick noted in the other thread:

:024::happy204::024: