PDA

View Full Version : Koni Strut Failure?

cjb25hs
08-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Well I have all 4 Koni yellows off the car for the install of my GC kit. The rears are still stock valving and compression seems to be pretty equal.

The fronts I had Truechoice rebuild/revalve over the winter. They have 1 double regional, a 1 hour enduro and 5 autocross runs on them since rebuild. On one of them I am able to push the rod into the strut and it rebounds. The other I can barely get it to compress. Both of them are set to full soft while doing this. The units were revalved with 380/lbs being the minimum spring rate.

So the question is is the one I can compress blown out again after very little track time or is the stiffer one having some other kind of issues.

FYI the one that is easy to compress was on the RF which was only loaded on 2 turns roughly at Beaverun. The stiffer one would have seen the majority of the load.

ITA_honda
08-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Hey Chris,
I have the same set-up from Truchoice.
Mine have been fine so far.
But my spring rates are A LOT stiffer than yours.
600# front and 800# rear.

But a civic and a neon are 2 totally different cars!!
This whole suspension is new to me and I dont know a lot about it. I hope I dont have any problems anytime soon!

take it easy

mossaidis
08-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Sorry about the Koni shock - sounds like you should take it back to truchoice. I have the Koni Single adj. SPSS3 with rally tarmac spec springs w/ no problems.

(Thread hijack...)

ITA_Honda - what kind of Civic? I have an 92 EG si.

ITA_honda
08-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Sorry about the Koni shock - sounds like you should take it back to truchoice. I have the Koni Single adj. SPSS3 with rally tarmac spec springs w/ no problems.

(Thread hijack...)

ITA_Honda - what kind of Civic? I have an 92 EG si.

Im rockin the 1990 Civic Si hatchback. lol:D

cjb25hs
08-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Im rockin the 1990 Civic Si hatchback. lol:D

Greg did you run the IT fest?

mossaidis
08-03-2009, 12:29 PM
So cute!!! Having the EF explains the spring rate difference!

ITA_honda
08-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Greg did you run the IT fest?

Chris- yes I did run the IT fest and what an event! You really need to go next year. There were 25 ITA cars that started Saturday. I qualified 19 out of 25. The guys that come there are unbelieveable! Joe Moser set a 1:40.2 on the pro course..and Im pretty sure he beat the track record. My fastest was a 1:47.2
So yeah, a bit of difference there.

Races were 20 laps each day so there was plenty of track time. I had a race long battle with the #9 Colletti Motorsports Acura Integra driven by Cincy RE Bill Niemeyer. We switched positions atleast 3 times if I remember right. It all came down with 2 laps to go where I broke my left rear hub in Turn 3 which almost flipped the car on its roof. Spectators on the keyhole hill said my rear end was 4 feet in the air, spun around a few times and landed in the sand trap.:(
My weekend was done. But atleast I was ok and no one else was involved.

cjb25hs
08-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Chris- yes I did run the IT fest and what an event! You really need to go next year. There were 25 ITA cars that started Saturday. I qualified 19 out of 25. The guys that come there are unbelieveable! Joe Moser set a 1:40.2 on the pro course..and Im pretty sure he beat the track record. My fastest was a 1:47.2
So yeah, a bit of difference there.

Races were 20 laps each day so there was plenty of track time. I had a race long battle with the #9 Colletti Motorsports Acura Integra driven by Cincy RE Bill Niemeyer. We switched positions atleast 3 times if I remember right. It all came down with 2 laps to go where I broke my left rear hub in Turn 3 which almost flipped the car on its roof. Spectators on the keyhole hill said my rear end was 4 feet in the air, spun around a few times and landed in the sand trap.:(
My weekend was done. But atleast I was ok and no one else was involved.

Wow sounds like you might have had to clean your shorts out after that. Well I am boxing up the front struts and sending them off to Truechoice to be checked out.

ITA_honda
08-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Wow sounds like you might have had to clean your shorts out after that. Well I am boxing up the front struts and sending them off to Truechoice to be checked out.

that happened so damn fast I didnt even have time to crap myself! LMAO

lateapex911
08-03-2009, 04:31 PM
sounds like a rod might be bent...check the side loading etc etc, etc.

ITA_honda
08-04-2009, 08:05 AM
sounds like a rod might be bent...check the side loading etc etc, etc.

We have it at a collision center and they are going to put it on their frame machine just to check and make sure everything is ok.
We were inspecting all the suspension components and such and didnt really see anything out of the ordinary.....
but we took it there just to be sure...

ITA_honda
08-04-2009, 08:06 AM
So cute!!! Having the EF explains the spring rate difference!

what spring rates are you running?

mossaidis
08-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Spring rates right out off DMS' web site (well almost) 750/450. I should go 800/500 but not until the driver feels maxed out in ability.

ITA_honda
08-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Spring rates right out off DMS' web site (well almost) 750/450. I should go 800/500 but not until the driver feels maxed out in ability.

Haha I hear you on that.

I ran stock spring rates last year (250#) all the way around.
Yuck. lol.

Now this year changing to the 600#/800# HOLY CRAP. lol.
Especially at Mid-Ohio the rear starts kicking out. Its a handful but in a good way. I kept telling myself.. "So this is what a handling car feels like" "ohh the rear end rotates nicely now, i see"
lol.