PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 240 Weight Adjustment?

RSI
08-02-2009, 04:54 PM
I keep hearing rumors that this might be coming since its weight is near the highest in the classes and is the largest car out there.

Most of us are having to run 150+ pounds of ballast to get a mildly stripped car to the spec line. We have had concerns of safety when some folks are having to bolt down 180lbs of lead to their floorboard.

Anything?

Xian
08-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Lots of lead going into ITB 914's and ITA Integras...

Don't have anything additional to add.

lateapex911
08-02-2009, 05:41 PM
I keep hearing rumors that this might be coming since its weight is near the highest in the classes and is the largest car out there.

Most of us are having to run 150+ pounds of ballast to get a mildly stripped car to the spec line. We have had concerns of safety when some folks are having to bolt down 180lbs of lead to their floorboard.

Anything?

Ah, the "saftely card"

Love it.

Whether the car is on process or not should be the concern. Add tubes to the cage, to make the car safer, and, oh, heavier. And there are a dozen other ways.

RSI
08-02-2009, 06:17 PM
years ago I thought there was a maximum amount of ballast you could run, and for some reason I thought it was 150lbs.

I don't see that any longer. As for cage, we even went to a thicker wall thickness and created a nice jungle gym ;)

maybe I should eat macdonalds every day to get the driver's weight up :P

I appreciate the advice. It's just so interesting to see the difference in cars. Our ITB Volvo's are so underweight its kinda crazy.

And our ITS 850 is 450 pounds overweight and we are having to get very "creative" with the rules to shave the rest... 2 very different worlds for 2 very different cars I spose.

StephenB
08-02-2009, 10:17 PM
I say we lower the weight and bump it to ITA!!!

JK :)

Stephen

Spinnetti
08-02-2009, 10:36 PM
I haven't run in years, but back in the day, the Volvos kicked the crap out of most of the ITA field, not to mention the B field. How about pushing for it to run in A instead :)

RSI
08-03-2009, 01:44 AM
hmm ITA. Our class leading car right now is an Opel manta and he would be 3 seconds off the pace of the ITA leading cars.

I understand that the mandate is not that EVERY car can be competitive. I get that.

I'm ok with ITA...I like going faster ;) I'm just trying to understand where we can get 3 seconds.

Spinnetti
08-03-2009, 07:09 AM
hmm ITA. Our class leading car right now is an Opel manta and he would be 3 seconds off the pace of the ITA leading cars.

I understand that the mandate is not that EVERY car can be competitive. I get that.

I'm ok with ITA...I like going faster ;) I'm just trying to understand where we can get 3 seconds.

Me too, and I'm "Correctly classed" in ITA... (I'm more like 2 seconds tho and can't get any lighter)

itmanta
08-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Jonathan, this is where it is at. Looks like comp board is still working on a final decision...

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21626&highlight=volvo

RSI
08-03-2009, 08:49 PM
thanks Peter,
I didnt see anything on the August Fastrack that is why I was inquiring.