PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Cluster removal

Duc
07-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Have a new toy to put in place (IQ3), and was wondering if it is legal to fully remove the instrument cluster. I could not find anything that says otherwise. Right now until I get everything instrumented it is staying in front.

dickita15
07-24-2009, 06:22 AM
c. Gauges and instruments may be added, replaced, or removed. They may be installed in the original instrument(s) location using a mounting plate(s), or any other location using a secure method of attachment. Other than modifications made to mount instruments and provide for roll cage installation, the remainder of the dash “board” or panel shall remain intact.

Duc
07-24-2009, 10:19 AM
c. Gauges and instruments may be added, replaced, or removed. They may be installed in the original instrument(s) location using a mounting plate(s), or any other location using a secure method of attachment. Other than modifications made to mount instruments and provide for roll cage installation, the remainder of the dash “board” or panel shall remain intact.

Have read that, should have asked to get further clarification. The instrument cluster (which includes switches, which based on a previous thread switches cannot be removed) is considered an gauge and/or instrument?

Thanks,

Derek

joeg
07-24-2009, 10:30 AM
What switches are in a cluster that can't be moved?

quadzjr
07-24-2009, 11:47 AM
A switch is not a gauge or an instrument.

Duc
07-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Odometer reset switch, which doubles for a info system switch.

dickita15
07-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Hmm that is interesting. Odo reset I say is part of the instrument just like when I removed my speedometer I also removed the cable as part of it. The fact that it is also how you access the info system illustrates the problem we are going to have keeping race cars simple as auto technology gets more complex.