PDA

View Full Version : Colorado or Canyon 5 cyl

Joe Camilleri
07-23-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm thinking about tow vehicles that I can stand as a daily driver. The 5 cylinder Chev/GMC Colorado/Canyon look promising. Has anyone had experience towing with them?

splats
07-23-2009, 06:29 PM
I don't about the power, but the rear drum brakes on the Colorados 'stink'. I service some of the local NAPA trucks (2wd 4cyl), and they have been having problems with the rears locking-up when cold. They also sound like they are metal-to-metal, yet they are just glazed. A TSB by GM advised to use a dremel-type tool & cut-off every-other tooth on the auto adjuster. I've never heard of that before!! :017: I'm not sure I would trust them pulling a trailer. Just my 2 cents (keep the change)

quadzjr
07-23-2009, 10:10 PM
the 5cylinder so far has proven to be a decent engine. Not known for "power". What are you trying to pull? you can get a diesel tow truck for fairly cheap.

Heck tomorrow I might be pickign upa 1500 dollar 7.3L ford.

Joe Camilleri
07-24-2009, 12:05 AM
Scirocco on an open trailer with brakes, say 3,000# plus race junk. Problem is I don't want to drive a full size p/u or SUV every day.

rx7chris
07-24-2009, 08:08 AM
I drive the 4cyl canyon as a work truck everyday, not a bad little truck. The rears do get grabby after a rain, just like the s-10 did. I didn't need to get my pads/shoes changed until 85-90k. Had a abs sensor ring on the front hub come off (intresting to say the least), transmission went at 120k (4L60E) same thing happened in the s-10. Other than that I've had no problems and I'm approaching 140k after 3years of driving.

As far as towing goes, I would also consider what sort of elevation changes you are going to encounter. I know for a fact my s-10 would not have made the tow from Tampa to Road Atlanta, just didn't have the balls to get up the mountains. The colorado/canyon are also available with a V8 if I'm not mistaken, which might be a better choice. Like a previous poster said look at a full size trucks too. You can get a reg. cab short bed 1500 and have almost the same room as the x-cab canyon. Not to mention would be better towing with the bigger V8.

quadzjr
07-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Scirocco on an open trailer with brakes, say 3,000# plus race junk. Problem is I don't want to drive a full size p/u or SUV every day.

I don't plan on driving this truck everyday either, for insurance purposes it is going to limited use, so my insurance don't go up much, and I can have a daily that I want to drive and the beater truck that I have when I need it.

JLawton
07-24-2009, 12:56 PM
It's not just the pulling capability of the truck you need to look at. More importantly is the STOPPING. It doesn't sound like the brakes are really up to it...........

ITA_honda
07-24-2009, 04:08 PM
I don't about the power, but the rear drum brakes on the Colorados 'stink'. I service some of the local NAPA trucks (2wd 4cyl), and they have been having problems with the rears locking-up when cold. They also sound like they are metal-to-metal, yet they are just glazed. A TSB by GM advised to use a dremel-type tool & cut-off every-other tooth on the auto adjuster. I've never heard of that before!! :017: I'm not sure I would trust them pulling a trailer. Just my 2 cents (keep the change)

My last truck was a 1988 GMC 3500. 5.7L 3 speed manual.
every single morning when I went to stop, the rear drums locked up something furious!:o It probably woke up all the neighbors!
everything was is excellent working order...but thats just the way it was. Granted that truck was made 21 years ago....technology has come a ways..
lol

splats
07-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Granted that truck was made 21 years ago....technology has come a ways..
lol

:lol: The NAPA trucks are '08. Thinking back, my dad's chevys would lock-up when cold. I'm not a big GM fan. None of my Fords (from a '83 Ranger to a '97 F250HD) have ever had this problem.

rx7chris
07-24-2009, 05:16 PM
On further thought you should look at the frontier 6cyl. Had an 06 crew cab that towed great, plenty of power and stopping was never a problem. The back seat's not great for long trips, makes you kind of sit erect, the front's were fine though, so it never bothered me.

ITA_honda
07-24-2009, 05:21 PM
On further thought you should look at the frontier 6cyl. Had an 06 crew cab that towed great, plenty of power and stopping was never a problem. The back seat's not great for long trips, makes you kind of sit erect, the front's were fine though, so it never bothered me.

the frontier is a decent little truck.
The Tacoma isnt bad either, but its too small IMO

I really like the new Tundra's with the 5.7L

r snook
07-25-2009, 12:30 PM
If you want to try offbeat check out the work trucks at "triple w dot japanoid.com". I've seen various models of the work trucks on the road out here, and I believe there are outfits doing the importations in the centre of the universe.

Joe Camilleri
07-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks for everyone's insight.

Sheesh, you'd think after after making pick ups with rear drum brakes for, what(?), 80 years(?), GM could figure it out.

Right now I have the perfect tow vehicle for me, but it's getting pretty long in the tooth and my daily driver is nearing replacement time. So I was thinking, maybe I could compromise and have one vehicle to service and pay insurance on.

Bob Roth
08-22-2009, 07:27 PM
FYI - As an alternative, I am towing a 3500 pound open trailer using a '07 uplander, 3.9 liter v6. I added firestone airbag springs to rear and KYB heavyduty rear shocks. Works well, its quiet, roomy, keeps all my gear dry, the extended version carry's a ton of stuff, gets about 17 mpg at 70mph plus across the flatlands of wisconsin. Get the '07 as they have heavy duty brakes and tow package trans cooler as standard.

Doc Bro
08-22-2009, 09:40 PM
I had a Colorado when they first came out. 4x4 Totally loaded, 4 door 5 cyl. Towed my Z3 to some autocrosses with it on an 18' open steel deck trailer. Truck squatted quite a bit and in general felt unsafe. Power was adequate. Sold it for a new f350 powerstroke in '05. Glad I did. In true U.S. automaker fashion the horsepaower was OK but nothing else was.

I think it's risky; YMMV.

R