PDA

View Full Version : Daytona Double SARRC

Richy Gonzalez
07-22-2009, 10:42 PM
It's looking like we are going to have a full field at Daytona. IT run group has become even a bigger group than SMs:happy204:

I have a lot of work to make Daytona happen but looking forward to it and hopefully putting a new motor by C.W. Pence Rebuilders to the test.

Hope to see e everyone there!

Mike Guenther
07-23-2009, 12:24 AM
Richy,
Hope you make it to the track. I plan to be there too barring any unforseen drama.
Did you get a garage? I'll be in the blue. Say hi.... Be safe.

quadzjr
07-23-2009, 08:57 AM
I'm signed up.. still waiting from the two motors from CW Pence. Hopefully, I can get Dave R's block back this friday and mine next week.

TRIKSTUFF
07-23-2009, 11:07 AM
So far, 19 in ITA and 13 ITB and 21 in ITS. Looks like fun. :D

Richy Gonzalez
07-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Richy,
Hope you make it to the track. I plan to be there too barring any unforseen drama.
Did you get a garage? I'll be in the blue. Say hi.... Be safe.

No I didn't. Scott Seck, Nick Tenn and myself will be creating our on little garage. Not sure where the TrackSpeed boys will be at.

I'm signed up.. still waiting from the two motors from CW Pence. Hopefully, I can get Dave R's block back this friday and mine next week.

Make sure you guys communicate with them and stop by. They have always done good work by me and they treat me as part of their "familia". You just need to make sure they put your stuff with their regular work.

jmracer17
07-23-2009, 01:08 PM
good luck too all. just starting my freshman year of college so the funds are a little dry. have some fun for me!:eclipsee_steering:

quadzjr
07-23-2009, 01:31 PM
No I didn't. Scott Seck, Nick Tenn and myself will be creating our on little garage. Not sure where the TrackSpeed boys will be at.

Make sure you guys communicate with them and stop by. They have always done good work by me and they treat me as part of their "familia". You just need to make sure they put your stuff with their regular work.

We registerd late as well. I was hoping you guys got a garage. Our last chance is for Dave to have got one, but I doubt it.

I am relying on Dave to stay on them. What is "regular work"?

So far there are 67 cars registered for the "IT group" and there is still two weeks to go!

Xian
07-23-2009, 02:13 PM
:sigh:

Sounds like another great race coming up! I've got the time/money to do either a test & tune at Roebling on the 1st/2nd or Daytona the weekend after. I'd really like to run the Daytona weekend but it would be a potential shakedown/initial run-in/1st race fiasco if something goes awry. Any suggestions or arm twisting?

Christian, who'd also need to get his license re-instated (fingers crossed)

quadzjr
07-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Daytona!

I will be breaking a motor in there, as well as trying to develop the suspension, riding on half a decade old Toyo take offs, ohh yeah, did I mention that I am on my novice permit? haha

I am sure your weekend should be a bit easier than mine. But bang for the buck RR would probably make more sense.

pitbull113
07-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Hey Richie hope you make it hopefully I can keep up with you with the new engine and get a tow, my shoe box needs all the help it can get. :D

Christian, No question Daytona!

I'm in the blue garage if anybody needs anything.

flaboy
07-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Count me out....Car isn"t fixed since Turkey Tro wreck and don"t have the money to fix the frame.....Wish i could.I'll be there to watch.And getting mad at myself.

Tim

Duc
07-23-2009, 11:24 PM
I will be there. Hopefully can draft Mike for a lap :D. Anyone doing the test days?

jlinfert
07-24-2009, 07:14 AM
Count me out....Car isn"t fixed since Turkey Tro wreck and don"t have the money to fix the frame.....Wish i could.I'll be there to watch.And getting mad at myself.

Tim
Well see you there Tim! And come talk to us.... I've got a couple of ideas concerning your car.

Mazmarc63
07-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Mr. Shipp,

Do the test day at Daytona and then the races. The ITA field is huge. Not sure, but I think you can sleep in your own bed that weekend too.:023:

Mr Ulbrik,

Excellent to see you using your new permit. You will do great. Its a way easier track to race on than the short course. Remember, my car is silver.:D

Mr. Guenther,

Thanks again for the great racing in June. Very well done sir. A repeat plan would be most excellent.

Who is this Craig Conway d00d in an ITB Alfa???

This is gonna be big.:happy204:

Xian
07-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Well... I sent in my request for license renewal and waiver. If I can get it back in time, I'm planning to be there too. :D

PS
You can thank Marc for taking the time to goad me via PM too!

pitbull113
07-24-2009, 10:55 PM
Well... I sent in my request for license renewal and waiver. If I can get it back in time, I'm planning to be there too. :D

PS
You can thank Marc for taking the time to goad me via PM too! Call Topeka they will e-mail you a copy of your license, with race registrations down they should be happy to reinstate you.

Xian
07-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Good idea. Toni emailed Topeka my docs for the license. I guess I can call them Monday and see about getting an emailed copy. :)

Mike Guenther
07-25-2009, 12:55 AM
Daytona!

I will be breaking a motor in there, as well as trying to develop the suspension, riding on half a decade old Toyo take offs, ohh yeah, did I mention that I am on my novice permit? haha

I am sure your weekend should be a bit easier than mine. But bang for the buck RR would probably make more sense.

Keep in mind that the RPMs at Daytona might be a bit rough for a motor break in. And the high speeds there are killer on old tires. You really have to pull off at the first sign ov vibration because you could have a tire separation. I had two come apart on the practice day at Daytona in May and I wasn't pushing it hard at all. I was just trying to get a little more time out of some used up tires.

It sucks to have to pull off in a race. But it sucks a lot harder to tow home a twisted up race car. I've done that a few times.

Just be smart and be safe. You are amoungst your friends.

Mike Guenther
07-25-2009, 01:07 AM
Mr. Shipp,

Do the test day at Daytona and then the races. .:023:

Mr. Guenther,

Thanks again for the great racing in June. Very well done sir. A repeat plan would be most excellent.

This is gonna be big.:happy204:

Marc, I appreciate you letting me follow you so closely and giving me the benifit of your vast experience. It has taken me ten years to be able to run with you. Guess that makes me a slow learner. I don't know if I have the kahonas to hang with you through the chicane though. You really fly through there. Take me to school.

Yes, a repeat plan would be most excellent. I look forward to seeing you at the track.:eclipsee_steering:

SATURNRACER
07-27-2009, 05:00 PM
ARRRRGH!!!!
I guess I will not be racing with you guys unless a miracle happens for me...
Motor is out of the old car in pieces tranny in pieces, new car put on pause.....
Maybe a spectator that weekend if anyone needs help or anything I am 20 mins from the track....
Hopefully I be running.

Xian
07-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Alrighty... registered for both the test day and weekend races. :)

Richy, any room to paddock with you, Scott, and Nick? Let me know and I can stake out some room for everyone Thurs PM/Friday AM.

OB, get that car TOGETHER!!

Mike Guenther
07-31-2009, 10:54 PM
There are now 295 cars registered for Daytona.
83 in the I T group. 28 ITS, 25 ITA, 6 ITR

Any predictions on the Daytona weather on race weekend?
It's going to be hot. But will it rain? :shrug:

Richy Gonzalez
08-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Alrighty... registered for both the test day and weekend races. :)

Richy, any room to paddock with you, Scott, and Nick? Let me know and I can stake out some room for everyone Thurs PM/Friday AM.

OB, get that car TOGETHER!!

We'll work something out. Scott is also doing the test day. I'm going to try to take the day off and get there early and hopefully get in.

Hey Richie hope you make it hopefully I can keep up with you with the new engine and get a tow, my shoe box needs all the help it can get. :D

Hey 2 are better than one at Daytona:eclipsee_steering:

The CW Pence Rebuilders guys came thru and got motor back last night. The boys came over and started putting all the stuff back on it. Hopefully will have it in and running by tonight or tomorrow.

Richy Gonzalez
08-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Any predictions on the Daytona weather on race weekend?
It's going to be hot. But will it rain? :shrug:

Every time I bring rain tires I don't use them. Let's see if the trick keeps working.

flaboy
08-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Its been raining alot in Daytona....but its been early evening around 6-7pm.

Richy Gonzalez
08-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks to Jason, we finished up motor around 4:45am today. Added all fluids but need a new slave cylinder. Also, I didn't get a chance to fire it up today but will do tomorrow. Getting closer....

Richy Gonzalez
08-03-2009, 11:52 PM
It's alive! Still need drain the break in oil, replace stock oil filter and hook up the remote oil filter. Need to replace the thermostat (it didn't open). Brake lights are staying on because of the stupid plastic piece from the brake pedal broke off. Lastly, need a new idle air control valve because it surges at 1500 rpm and check engine light with code 14. Almost there!

...and again, props to Jason for getting me there!

quadzjr
08-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Good to hear Richy.. Jay told us all about about it with some funny stories about what time it was when the sprinklers turn on :happy204:

Parts finally came in Monday afternoon, wee hours in teh morning both monday and tuesday.. With luck we just may see Dave in an IT car again sunday.

quadzjr
08-05-2009, 11:53 AM
as registration closed. The field is huge.. is it always this normal for daytona?

26 ITA cars
15 ITB cars
30 ITS cars
6 ITR cars

77 cars in one run group!

I sure hope I can make it, this looks like it is going to be exciting.

pitbull113
08-05-2009, 07:27 PM
as registration closed. The field is huge.. is it always this normal for daytona? Same race last year about 60 cars. About 50 for the one in sept.

Mike Guenther
08-05-2009, 10:11 PM
[quote=quadzjr;292994]as registration closed. The field is huge.. is it always this normal for daytona?

26 ITA cars
15 ITB cars
30 ITS cars
6 ITR cars

77 cars in one run group!

You left out the IT-7 cars. Group 5 has 85 or so pre-registered. And the afternoon rains can be wicked! Remember May 2007?

Kartracerdad
08-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Where can I find a weekend race schedule at?

jlinfert
08-07-2009, 06:43 AM
The supps

seckerich
08-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Try this link: http://cfrscca.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=DAsyiAJOkhk%3d&tabid=1464&mid=2615

quadzjr
08-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Keep in mind that the RPMs at Daytona might be a bit rough for a motor break in. And the high speeds there are killer on old tires. You really have to pull off at the first sign ov vibration because you could have a tire separation. I had two come apart on the practice day at Daytona in May and I wasn't pushing it hard at all. I was just trying to get a little more time out of some used up tires.

It sucks to have to pull off in a race. But it sucks a lot harder to tow home a twisted up race car. I've done that a few times.

Just be smart and be safe. You are amoungst your friends.

Thanks for the heads up.. We just got the car to run the day before yesterday, seems strong, been working on breakign it in. During pratice/qual I will be taking it easy. Maybe I can get a tour from one of you guys:D... I know Dave R. is oging to give all she's got sunday.

We noticed that the one of the V710's that I ran at driver school is staring to get come apart.. almsot liek cracks forming in the rubber. So we will be strapping on some old Toyo's that are in better condition.

Dave should be heading down there in a few with our flaming trailer..

Kartracerdad
08-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Try this link: http://cfrscca.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=DAsyiAJOkhk%3d&tabid=1464&mid=2615

Thanks Steve

pitbull113
08-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Dave should be heading down there in a few with our flaming trailer.. Dude your trailer is gay?:eek: I mean it's okay if it is..:blink:

matt batson
08-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Does anyone know the finish order for ITB?

Hate to have to wait for mylaps...and then FINDING the race with the search function on that site is a real pain.

steve s
08-10-2009, 12:57 PM
sat. race
1 deuce keane [new track record]2:28.413
2norman fuller
not sure about the rest. ralph radhay was 2nd till he overheated on the last lap in the tri oval just b4 start finish.
sun. race
1 deuce [new track record i believe 2:26 ]
2 peter keane
not sure about the rest ,just what i remember at impound.

trhoppe
08-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Anyone know how track records work and where they are listed?

I *thought* the ITA record was 2:20.0

Kip ran a 2:19.9 in the Saturday shortened race and there was nothing about a track record on the results.

I ran a 2:20.1 in the Sunday 10 lapper and my name was listed as "new track record"

Huh? :shrug:

The track was fun and for my first time there, I felt great. Was disappointed in the registration as I got there about 30 seconds late for test day registration and got turned away and told to come back in 4 hours to get into the track. Really???

If I could have tested I think I could have gotten my Sunday pace on Saturday and kept on improving. Oh well. It was a blast, and the people and racing was even better.

I'll be back next year for sure. But bringing one of those misting fans with me, fuuuuck it was hot!

-Tom

steve s
08-10-2009, 07:22 PM
nice racing with you guys. kip had the track record posted on the official results for sat. race 2:19.962,i got it on sunday .did not get the official for sunday.
ps the results we got at impound was provisional.

Darryl Pritchett
08-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Great weekend of racing.. Does anybody have any updates on the drive of the GT2 car that had that huge fire on Sunday.

Xian
08-10-2009, 09:06 PM
I "heard" that he was still in the hospital and doing relatively well but has some nasty 2nd (poss 3rd) degree burns around his feet/ankles.

jlinfert
08-10-2009, 10:27 PM
And the driver of the HP Golf that got stuffed into the jersey barrier Sat morning is supposed to get out of Halifax tomorrow to go home. He had a compound fracture of his left tibia. Bone was sticking out of his driver suit leg. 4 hours of surgery

almskidd
08-11-2009, 08:52 AM
One of my pictures from the weekend.
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z123/almskidd/_MG_5355-1.jpg
This happened Sunday Race, turn 1, opening lap.

jlinfert
08-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Oh F**k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xian
08-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Great shot!! Mind if I cross post it over to roadraceautox.com?

pitbull113
08-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Now THAT'S a flyin' miata :rolleyes:

almskidd
08-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Great shot!! Mind if I cross post it over to roadraceautox.com?

yes you may.

Xian
08-12-2009, 08:39 AM
yes you may.

Cool. I just linked to your photobucket pic and mentioned that it came courtesy of IT.com.

quadzjr
08-12-2009, 09:39 AM
What a great weekend. As expected with a new car, issues came up but it was fun to start from the back of the pack and work my way up in the saturday short race. "Xian" the car looks great out there congrats on the maiden voyage. Great runs by eveybody in our paddock group, fun to hang out with you guys. (T. Hoppe, R. Gonzales, S. Seck, C. Shipp, D. Raymon, and N. Tenn)

matt batson
08-12-2009, 10:58 AM
anybody have a link to the results on mylaps?

almskidd
08-12-2009, 11:32 AM
The Miata had no where to go. The RX-7 was side ways and in its way. The RX-7 has spun well ahead of the turn, slid through the inside of turn one, in the grass, and came back on to the track infront of the Miata almost backwards.

quadzjr
08-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Any new word on teh driver of the white corrola?

Jim C., I saw what happened to your car.. that sucks.

Mark D., I saw your rig broke down on the side of I-4, I stopped to see if everythign was ok, but you weren't insight. Transmission fail on the tow rig? You make it back home?

faketree
08-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Any new word on teh driver of the white corrola?

The car was still barrel rolling when I came up on it, they were parked close to us, I went over and talked to the crew and they said she was ok at the track.

Duc
08-12-2009, 09:28 PM
The car was still barrel rolling when I came up on it, they were parked close to us, I went over and talked to the crew and they said she was ok at the track.

Talked with her. She went in too hot to the bus stop. Rolled at least twice. She said she was ok, but I hope she did get second look after the adrenaline died down.

D

quadzjr
08-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Was it her car? was she renting it?

matt batson
08-13-2009, 09:50 AM
anybody got any video?

quadzjr
08-13-2009, 10:25 AM
lots of pics.. no video. Well, I have video but it is on the shop lap top.

jbenoit28
08-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Hey Steve,

It was nice to meet you this weekend. I had a blast double dipping in ITA and SM this past weekend. Glad to see that Protege still running. I really hope Alan Burgess from the Burned 944 is doing better.

Joe Benoit
#28 SM/ITA

Mazmarc63
08-13-2009, 12:06 PM
anybody got any video?

Here you go Matt. I wish I knew what happened to the tape for the start.:mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XESL-jWkFXU

matt batson
08-13-2009, 01:59 PM
wow, nice video

I see that flyin miata had nowhere to go...

quadzjr
08-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks mark.. I wish I seen that video before getting out there... I like the boxing out teh corner approach to try to set jim up.. in the haripin. atleast it seem intentional :D

quadzjr
08-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Didn't get to meet Steve in the protege this weekend, however he was all over my bumper and along side for a bit in the Saturday race.

Mazmarc63
08-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks mark.. I wish I seen that video before getting out there... I like the boxing out teh corner approach to try to set jim up.. in the haripin. atleast it seem intentional :D

Wasn't intentional. Shoulda tucked in behind him to get a better flow out of T6 to try to stay with Meno. Didn't matter anyway, Meno's car has way more power than mine and Jim's. I suspect that is pretty evident from the video.:D

jmracer17
08-13-2009, 05:21 PM
WOW! Great video and that pic from one is awesome! (well other than the damage.. lol) Looks like it was a very eventfull weekend. Results up yet?

Mazmarc63
08-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Only Sundays so far.

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=458417

pitbull113
08-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Hey Steve,

It was nice to meet you this weekend. I had a blast double dipping in ITA and SM this past weekend. Glad to see that Protege still running. I really hope Alan Burgess from the Burned 944 is doing better.

Joe Benoit
#28 SM/ITA Good to meet you as well come over to the dark side more often.

Didn't get to meet Steve in the protege this weekend, however he was all over my bumper and along side for a bit in the Saturday race. Yes Steve I did make a pest of myself, too bad I ran out of talent in 6 and didn't catch back up to ya'. So good to have the car back running I can't wait til next month Sebring and Daytona again :happy204:

Mike Guenther
08-15-2009, 07:34 AM
Marc, thanks for posting that video. How Finley didn't get pounded when he corrected his spin and came back across the track is amazing or just the luck of the Irish. That kat can drive! It doesn't appear that he had any help turning around going into the turn. And it was awesome how he caught it before hitting the inside tires and turned it back around. That Kat can drive.

What your clip doesn't show is how Mike Flynn got really sideways as he exited turn one and my initial thought, as Finley snapped around backwards on my left, was that he was effected by seeing Irish Mike's loose looking exit just ahead of him. That combined with coming into the turn hot and tight inside, if he braked just a bit extra as Mike got sideways it might have turned Finley around.

I checked up a bit due to Finley going backwards and thinking he might slide out in front of me. Otherwise I might have made up a few feet on Irish Mike. While everyone scattered around the near wreck, Irish Mike was already going through the chicane and lapping the back of the field. :D Well, almost.

jlinfert
08-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Alan Burgess the driver who got badly burned in the Group 3 race Sunday passed away yesterday afternoon. My prayers go out to his family.

quadzjr
08-25-2009, 12:38 PM
That really sucks.

Xian
08-25-2009, 01:26 PM
RIP and Godspeed.

seckerich
08-25-2009, 02:21 PM
We all sit and complain about such trivial stuff and forget how dangerous our sport really is. Keep Alan and his family in your prayers.

Please take this a a wake up call to pull the pin on your fire system. Sit in your car belted in with all your gear and make sure you can see and easily discharge the system. Too many good people have died lately.

chrissyreyes
08-25-2009, 02:35 PM
Hello Everyone,

Alan Burgess is my step father and with great sadness I have to tell you he passed away yesterday. Please pray for his wife and family and thank you for all the kind words.

Thanks,
Christine

pitbull113
08-25-2009, 07:57 PM
So sorry to hear about your loss Christine. My family will keep you and your family in their prayers.

DoubleXL240Z
08-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Christine, Your family is in our prayers. I met Alan a few years back, and he loved being at the track.
Godspeed Alan!

trhoppe
08-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Got my videos up after getting back to my computer finally.

720p HD video with DashWare by Chasecam for the DL1 overlay.

Started 1st, finished 2nd by 0.7 in ITA, after getting shafted by an RX-7 out of the bus stop, which was enough to not allow me to catch up. Had a faster race lap and everything. Interesting race with an incident in T1 on the first lap, lots of Rx-7s going off, and being held up by ITS/ITR cars in the turns the whole race.

Part 1 - has some good action of Turn 1 mess, and then some nice passing/side by side/me getting cut off by RX-7s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUGXvH8Lddc&fmt=22

Part 2 - some Rx-7 spins, some grass cutting, man those ITR/ITS cars are slow in the turns.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKcYFo64DQc&fmt=22

-Tom

Mike Guenther
08-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Tom, That's some pretty nifty driving there at Daytona.
Nice handling car. Really nice video with instrument overlay.
Very nice. Thank you for sharing that.

GodSpeed Alan Burgess ! One very fine gentleman.