PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearings and Hubs

Campbell
07-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Just curious, does anyone re-use their hubs when you change your wheel bearings? I always change mine but must admit, the ones I take off always look like new. thanks

jay05
07-18-2009, 03:26 PM
I reuse mine and change the bearings midway through the season. This is the 3rd season on the same hubs. Planning on replacing them after this season.

Bill Miller
07-18-2009, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't re-use ones from a Mk I. Can't speak to the Mk II or Mk III cars, but they can't be that much money, and they're a known failure point on Mk I cars. Sure would hate to have one fail because I tried to save $50.

rx7chris
07-19-2009, 09:20 AM
What about the MKIV stuff? Something I should be concerned about?

dave parker
07-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Group
The Mk1 hubs are very fragile and should be replaced at the end of every season. I have had two Mk1 hubs fail in nine years of racing and luckily both failures occurred in parts of Summit Point where I was able to coast the car to a halt with without hitting anything.
MkII hubs are less fragile but will fail eventually (and just as spectacularly as the Mk1 hubs).
MkIII hubs are very stout. But like any racecar part they should be replaced regularly.

I have no experience with the MkIV cars in racing trim. But I have taken apart the wifes street MkIV and the design seems to be better than the MkIII.

cheers
dave parker

ITA_honda
07-20-2009, 08:58 AM
I replace my hubs EVERY year.
Not to say they wont last longer,
but when you break a hub at the track....ummm yeah you're done:blink:

then you're kicking yourself for not replacing them...
I like to call it..."cheap insurance"

JamesB
07-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Same here....mk2 and I replace my hubs ever off season along with Bearings.

shwah
07-20-2009, 10:28 AM
I probably go 1.5 - 2 seasons, but of course that depends on how many races comprise a season. I also bring a set of front hub/bearing carriers loaded with fresh parts to every event, so that IF something does go bad, it is easy to swap in the assembly at the track.

ITA_honda
07-20-2009, 10:35 AM
I probably go 1.5 - 2 seasons, but of course that depends on how many races comprise a season. I also bring a set of front hub/bearing carriers loaded with fresh parts to every event, so that IF something does go bad, it is easy to swap in the assembly at the track.

very good idea:happy204:

racer_tim
07-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Greg, I bring a spare set of hubs, 1/2 shafts with CV's, calipers, rotors, lower control arms, shocks, struts, tranny, and brake pads to the track. I can replace almost an entire front corner (don't carry springs or camber plates) at the track.

I re-use my hubs, but have them magna fluxed to check for cracks, and have new bearings installed every year. All of the spares go on the car over the winter, and the old hubs/bearings and 1/2 shafts get replaced / rebuilt every winter.

JohnRW
07-21-2009, 11:44 AM
If any VWer's are interested, I have a set of A2 front knuckles (L&R) that you can have for free / gratis / nada / squandool. I will deliver them to Watkins Glen this weekend (7/26-27), as I will be there working in the cool, rarified air of Steward-land.

Both have bearings...one suffered a hub-breakage and is a little dinged on the "hub" side, but it looks like it can be easily cleaned up and wouldn't likely compromise the integrity of the hub.

I'm currently conducting a garage purge, and am getting rid of parts for cars that I haven't owned in 10+ years. Alfa, Datsun, Healey, Triumph, VW...you name'em...I got parts.

Email me at walsh*at*whecDOTcom and I'll throw them in the street beater before I leave for WGI.

I ain't shipping stuff, especially "free" stuff.

jlinfert
07-24-2009, 07:04 AM
Ditto:D