PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof Material

RHallRacing
07-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Im in the process of building a MK3 Golf and need to fill the sunroof. Is there any material that i CANT use? Does it have to be the same as the stock metal on the car? Just want to make sure.

Thanks

Ryan

cjb25hs
07-16-2009, 09:29 PM
You have two options.

1: You may retain original panel if it is not normally removable and run in the closed position, you can remove all motors cables etc...

2: All sunroofs may be replaced with panel or replacement skin of the same material as the original surrounding roof material.

shwah
07-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Since the stock panel is glass, you must remove it. You must replace/cover with steel of the same thickness as the surrounding roof.

jimbbski
07-16-2009, 10:37 PM
I cut a piece of sheet metal to shape and then fitted it so that I could weld in to the roof with spot welds using my MIG. Some bondo and paint and you can't tell it was ever there unless you look at the underside of the roof. Not trying to cheat just didn't like the look of a "pop rivited" panel.

joeg
07-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Yes...Best sheet metal would be a junkyard hood or roof from which to cut your fill pattern.

It would be lots of fun work to fit it, weld it and get the bondo nice.

mossaidis
07-17-2009, 11:00 AM
I cut a piece of sheet metal to shape and then fitted it so that I could weld in to the roof with spot welds using my MIG. Some bondo and paint and you can't tell it was ever there unless you look at the underside of the roof. Not trying to cheat just didn't like the look of a "pop rivited" panel.

That ghetto and vintage WWII airplane look is where it's at!

Beran
07-17-2009, 01:28 PM
You can buy a whole new roof skin.

GTIspirit
07-18-2009, 11:56 AM
You have two options.

1: You may retain original panel if it is not normally removable and run in the closed position, you can remove all motors cables etc...

2: All sunroofs may be replaced with panel or replacement skin of the same material as the original surrounding roof material.

May the sunroof drip pan be removed?

A friend gave me a tip that structural adhesive could be used to bond in the cover panel so heat doesn't distort the class A surface.