PDA

View Full Version : The Lamest Day

Scott Nutter
07-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Anyone doing it?
http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/
I'm going to watch, sounds like a hoot. If anyone is building a car and could use a cage that was cut out of an 1st Gen Rx7 (roof removed and cut at the base) it's theirs for the asking. I might want Hillbilly Motorsports decalled/spray painted/Sharpied on the right rear quarter panel for being a sponsor :)

MMiskoe
07-14-2009, 09:01 PM
My dad just did the Stafford CT version of this race. Stafford being a 1/2 mile (or so) oval w/ a small road course included the speeds were pretty low, first gear was a requirement at places when traffic bunched up. But it looked like a lot of fun.

I just read the sup's for the Nelson verions. YIKES! That place is scary enough & tore up plenty of SCCA cars when I ran the Longest day races. Looking at the type of cars for Lemons and thinking about them running at Nelson gives me a shiver.

Am I being a wuss for thinking that the combination of that track and those cars/drivers is a bit scary?

Scott Nutter
07-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Ah, the Hillbilly Motorsports cut our teeth in racing @ Nelson with $500 cars at fun days. Think 15 year old cavalier with bald tires, original clutch, original shocks and 180K on the odometer. Looked like she was going to roll in every corner!

Spinnetti
07-15-2009, 07:15 AM
I'll be there!

Team Toyota will be fielding two cars, a FX16 and a MR2. We've done 3 events so far, and its a good time (though we had a couple mechanicals)....

Spinnetti
07-15-2009, 07:17 AM
My dad just did the Stafford CT version of this race. Stafford being a 1/2 mile (or so) oval w/ a small road course included the speeds were pretty low, first gear was a requirement at places when traffic bunched up. But it looked like a lot of fun.

I just read the sup's for the Nelson verions. YIKES! That place is scary enough & tore up plenty of SCCA cars when I ran the Longest day races. Looking at the type of cars for Lemons and thinking about them running at Nelson gives me a shiver.

Am I being a wuss for thinking that the combination of that track and those cars/drivers is a bit scary?

My experience so far is that Lemons people - even brand new to racing - are no worse that the usual IT crowd. Most of them are more polite in fact. Best racing I've had in 17 years was 1.5 hours of nose-to-tail swapping places with our Celica, a supercharged MR2 and an Integra at CMP this year.... I went into it thinking it was a joke, but its real racing without so many petty rules. The vast differences in cars, speed and race prep is much less important than you might think!

europeanspec
07-15-2009, 07:33 AM
We just hosted a LeMons event in Louisiana and I have to say it was a blast. Not only did we try to kill ourselves with alcohol every night, but the racing was unbelievable. There is something to be said for passing ten cars at one time while running just under 100mph on street-tires. If you need a confidence booster, go run one of these races.

ITA_honda
07-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Ah, the Hillbilly Motorsports cut our teeth in racing @ Nelson with $500 cars at fun days. Think 15 year old cavalier with bald tires, original clutch, original shocks and 180K on the odometer. Looked like she was going to roll in every corner!

as much body roll as my civic last year?? LOL. you remember that!

ITA_honda
07-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Anyone doing it?
http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/
I'm going to watch, sounds like a hoot. If anyone is building a car and could use a cage that was cut out of an 1st Gen Rx7 (roof removed and cut at the base) it's theirs for the asking. I might want Hillbilly Motorsports decalled/spray painted/Sharpied on the right rear quarter panel for being a sponsor :)

Scott - I was thinking about doing it, but then thought it would be more of a hoot to watch! So im watching it this year.
And ill be 21....SO ill bring the beer!! HAHA!

RacerBill
07-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Greg: Do you know any of the SCCA Starters that work at Nelson? When I was at the driver's school in April, I was asked if I wanted to work that event, but they all left before I could get any contact information. Thanks.

Scott Nutter
07-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Talk to people in the know this weekend and as of now there are 170+ intent to run entries!!!!