PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler - Help!

tom_sprecher
07-13-2009, 06:18 PM
I am trying to identify the oil coolers I have been using in my 1st gen. The core (not including the end tanks measures 18.25 x 5.25 x 2 inches, has 8 rows and and looks like this.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/tom_sprecher/OilCoolerResize.jpg

I thought they were 1st gen coolers, but I went to buy one today it was about 2 inches too long. Atilla thinks it may be from a RX-3, but I saw a picture of one on the web and it is not that. Were there 2 versions of the 1st gen cooler?

If I can't find one by tomorrow I can't race this weekend at Road Atlanta. :(

TomL
07-14-2009, 12:32 AM
I measured two that I have and the core dimensions were 19.25" and 19.75" by 4.7". Overall lengths are 22.5" and 23". I think mine are off early model RX7s (79-81) and they definitely have a different mount for the rubber insulators than the one you showed. Not sure if the later models were smaller than the earlier ones I have, or if you have something else entirely. One of mine has epoxy repair to the core, but at least the bungs are okay (I think)- the other has a split bung. If you get desperate, you're welcome to try my spare.

sevenracer
07-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Could be one from a GSL-SE. I think they were mounted in front of the rad - not below it like the 12A cars.

Is Atlanta RX7 still around? They may have one... but not for cheap.

May also try RX7world.net... probably a stretch to get it to ATL in time though.

Good luck.

zzxracer
07-15-2009, 07:07 AM
if you want bullit-proof cooling of your oil,try a fluidyne heat-exchanger...mazda motorsport was selling these...you run your coolant through this unit..therefore your oil temp will remain the same as your coolant temp (within 5 or so degree's).,i have been using these for years on a 83'12a first gen rx-7 which was a ITA car,then switched to EP..,currently running it in vintage races...we have had no problems what-so ever since going this route...i have a brand new one in stock and will sell it to you for $300.00,i payed $394.00 in 1997..it was for a second gen project which i never started...it mounts right behind radiator..on my car..thanks Bill