PDA

View Full Version : LRP ALMS Ticket Prices

gran racing
07-02-2009, 09:22 PM
<rant on> Jake G. called me today about tickets to attend Saturday's AMLS event at Lime Rock Park in on 7/18. He said it was $60 for each ticket, but I had a hard time believing it. Quickly logged onto the LRP website and yup, $60 for Saturday alone. In years past I've always thought the AMLS event has been a fairly expensive ticket, but this is too bad. Really? In this economy?

It's a shame that many families will end up opting out of attending this event. I suppose it bothers me more as I vividly remember growing up and attending similar events at LRP, which for better or worse lead me to my racing obsession. I'll admit that I absolutely love the track from both a spectator and driver's perspective. However it keeps getting tougher to swallow. It's hard to imagine that this pricing will yield higher ticket revenue than if it was more reasonable and family / economy friendly. We planned on attending the event as a family, but at this pricing know my wife will have absolutely no interest in going. Will they then lose out on other revenue streams such as food and merchandise?

Does AMLS set these prices? Are they this high at other tracks, and if so how has that gone? After reading Darren Law's response to his least favorite track and overall AMLS drivers' responses to the changes, maybe this is LRP's last year hosting AMLS anyway? </rant>

StephenB
07-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Dave,
I say that that weekend you should drive to Maine and take a 4 wheeler into the woods! You may find a Subaru or 2 and a bunch of other cars flying down a few dirt roads! :happy204: I am still thinking of driving up for a day!

Stephen

PS: Skip the ALMS race and come to the SCCA race on the 1st. Advance tickets are only 10 bucks and at the gate they are $15 May not be as fast but I bet you see more passing :eclipsee_steering: besides the comentary on TV almost makes it worth investing in a big screen and staying at home! OK OK I know you already know this but this is what I tell everyone that is interested in racing! Come to SCCA and get involved and dream about the pro stuff on TV!

dtanthon
07-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Instead on Maine come on down to New Jersey. I know, I know, NEW JERSEY! Are you kidding me?!?!?!?!?!? NJMP is close to Cape May and Atlantic City as well as all the other shore points.

Come to the 1st annual MARRS - NARRC Lightning Challenge. Come see real sports car racing and enjoy the southern New Jersey hospitality. NNJR and SJR are co-hosting.

No tolls the way I go from north Jersey. It is a 3 hour tow from the Driving Impressions (TeamDI) warehouse in Dover to NJMP. Just over 2 hours by car.

tdw6974
07-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Quick Comparsion IRL,Indy Lights, F2000 and World Challenge at WG This weekend 55.00 for 3 days and 39 for Sunday Race. Although we will need freakin boats if it doesn't stop raining! TW

raffaelli
07-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Ouch. I did not hear what the ticket prices are. But 60 seems way high. Some gas, couple beers, hot dog and it is a 100 day.:eek: So much for hanging on the hill with the family for the afternoon. I never miss a pro event at LRP. But I think this is over the top, I will sit it out with a complaint to LRP. Besides the layout they run is DUMB.

LMcB
07-03-2009, 12:04 AM
Have any friends who are working at the event (flagging, T&S, grid, registration, etc.)? Workers are allowed free guest passes to all pro events (usually two passes per worker).

ITA_honda
07-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Yep, nothing new with the costs of ticket prices. I went to the ALMS/IRL race last year at Mid-Ohio and the price for both of the days was $105!!!!

$60 for Saturday
$45 for Sunday

The prices are remaining the same this year.
I havent gone to any pro events this year because of my racing...im on the track now. lol

gran racing
07-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Anyone remember what the AMLS price for Sat. only was last year at LRP?

Andy Bettencourt
07-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Can the ALMS and race yourself!!!

spawpoet
07-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Can the ALMS and race yourself!!!

From what I understand the ALMS is real close to canning itself.

As for ALMS pricing elsewhere, I believe Sebring is $80 for Sat only, and was $100 for multiple days. $20 more if you want to park in the track. What kind of support races do you get with the Lime Rock event?

ITA_honda
07-03-2009, 10:42 AM

As for ALMS pricing elsewhere, I believe Sebring is $80 for Sat only, and was $100 for multiple days. $20 more if you want to park in the track. What kind of support races do you get with the Lime Rock event?

not sure about Lime Rock but Mid-Ohio has the world challenge for a support race.
It is insane because the ALMS/IRL series come at the same time. Two big events in one weekend! I remember about 2 years ago when I went you couldnt even walk without hitting people.
The track had to rent out neighboring property/farms for people to park! It was wild!

Not sure how the turnout will be this year with the economy...but im sure they will still get a pretty decent turnout

lateapex911
07-03-2009, 12:03 PM
I can not remember attending a one day LRP event and having it be that much. And the ALMS 'show" is basically them. Formula Atlantic, and the ALMS light things.

I seriously wonder if the price isn't a mistake. But hey, maybe Skippy has run the numbers and sees a model that will net more profit?

He might be forgetting that he's not selling tix to the NBA or the NFL.

On the other hand, those leagues teams are charging outlandish prices too.

ITA_honda
07-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Speaking of outlandish ticket prices....
Im from Cleveland and the Cavaliers went to the play-offs this year (they usually go every year and at the last couple of games...loose it all):blink:
Home game pricing was INSANE.....

Now I understand its a huge event in basketball, TV coverage, people traveling distances to see them. But you were talking about $200-$300 seats!!! :eek:

I can buy 1 race tire for that money!!:eclipsee_steering:

LOL

lateapex911
07-03-2009, 02:28 PM
yea, I was looking to try and get decent seats to see U2. Without navigating the labrynth of 'options' out there, it seemed like it was going to be $500 for a couple seats in the second level of a stadium. I bet I could research and find some options, but, yea, events cost money. Honestly though, I'd rather see U2 than ALMS, as do most of the country, LOL.

RacerBill
07-03-2009, 05:57 PM
I decided not to work start, or try and hit anyone up for a pass to the Grand Am weekend at Mid-Ohio a couple of weeks ago, but I needed to be at the track for business reasons, so I bought a three day pass that included a paddock pass as well - $30.00

GregMeindl
07-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Too bad you don't know a resident that gets a discount ...........

THawkbh
07-06-2009, 07:21 PM

I think it was $50 or $55.

Last year was Indy Lights. The first year ALMS came to CT the supporting race was Spec Miata. That was cool.

gran racing
07-06-2009, 11:28 PM
I personally will be going regardless, but it does have an impact on many other families. I was thinking once my son gets older, would I really want to pay $180 for the three of us to attend? Highly doubt it.

For that price, too bad there's not better supporting races. I could care less about any of the others beyond AMLS.

BruceG
07-07-2009, 06:19 AM

Looking like my season pass for all events(including SCCA) for $230 was a good deal!:026:

quadzjr
07-07-2009, 11:36 AM
For that price, too bad there's not better supporting races. I could care less about any of the others beyond AMLS.

Which, other than tradition, is the only reason why I justify spenging 100 bucks on a ticket for the sebring 12 hour.. quite a few good support series that weekend.

Ron Earp
07-07-2009, 12:25 PM
What is the expected turnout for something like this?

I have a friend over for England who is attending the ALMS race. He expects it to be like England, full paddock, lots to do, etc. I told him it'd be good turnout if 2000 people showed up for the race and even then that would be about 4x more than I'd expect. He didn't believe me, but he doesn't understand that road race events in the US are not that well attended.

R

lateapex911
07-07-2009, 01:12 PM
I'd GUESS Lime rock would have over 5000 show. It won't be like England though, sadly.

gran racing
07-07-2009, 01:50 PM
It would be interesting to see how the ticket prices impact attendence and if they'd earn more by having it a bit lower, or if this truly is a good price point for them.

RacerBill
07-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Dave: I just checked the Mid-Ohio site for tickets for the ALMS/IRL show the week after the IT Spectacular - $100.00 But, that is for three day general admission, paddock access and pit access up to 15 minutes before the race, and a reserved grandstand seat. Guess I'm going to work Start on Friday!

lateapex911
07-07-2009, 05:14 PM
I checked the MO site, ALMS, Speed World Challenge, AND Indy cars!
There are no grandstands at LRP, so the general admission tix are the best comparison: $40 at MO. Paddock access is $10 more IIRC, included at LRP.

So, it's cheaper, and there's a LOT more racing.

Skip, if you read this, we're not happy!

raffaelli
07-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Given the bitching and moaning, i will be there.:blink:

gran racing
07-08-2009, 08:05 AM

Now that's awesome and would be well worth a decent ticket price. Formula BMW and IMSA lites? Not so much. At least this way I'll be able to spend quite a bit of time walking around the paddock.

mossaidis
07-09-2009, 02:26 PM
See you there. I will try to wear my IT.com t-shirt!

RacerBill
07-09-2009, 09:40 PM
There are no grandstands at LRP, so the general admission tix are the best comparison: $40 at MO. Paddock access is $10 more IIRC, included at LRP.

Skip, if you read this, we're not happy!

Jake: Read the MO schedule carefully - the ALMS race is on Saturday, the IRL is on Sunday.

lateapex911
07-09-2009, 10:47 PM
True, but there's more to it than the race. Walking the paddock, it's cool to talk to the IRL teams. And they go out for practice and qualifying, Honestly, I enjoy those aspects of "being at the track" more than I do the actual race. TV covers the race way better than I can at the track. Being there is about the sights and sounds and seeing things up close.

Simply put, you get more for your buck by far at Mid Ohio than at Lime Rock.
I actually dropped Skip a note about this and other issues, I wait with bated breath for his response.

gran racing
07-10-2009, 08:11 AM
I'm so gonna make Steph drag you into the Challet, stick a name badge with "Skip, did you read my e-mail?" on ya. :D Then again I did start this thread didn't I.

Jeremy Billiel
07-10-2009, 08:39 AM
They are pretty open to suggestions. 3 years ago I cold called the head of marketing, left him a message like what the hell are you doing?, got a call back and had many frank conversations at LRP's situation.

raffaelli
07-18-2009, 09:51 PM
I didnt go today. 70 at the gate is too much to watch...9 P cars and 10 GTs on the mickey mouse version of this track. Watching the replay now. Silly.

lateapex911
07-19-2009, 01:18 AM
Well, I got lucky and through some connections, I was treated to a good day at Lime Rock.

and......

drum roll please..................

it appears I was wrong...

if the crowd is any indication of pricing acceptance, the price was just fine. I can't remember when I saw a larger crowd. They were lining the hills at the left hander, big bend, the uphill, no name, west bend and the downhill.

Driving Impressions was packed (Although Bob took some time to chat and let us in on his "big news"...) the midway was bustling, and the fan walk on the straight was a mob scene.

So, what do I know about ticket prices, LOL. Not much I guess!

gran racing
07-19-2009, 08:37 AM
I still think it's a tough sell to pay for a family to attend at $70 a pop but evidently others didn't feel that way. Awesome attendance and great racing! The 15 wide stream in no name made group one quite interesting to watch! There are still many items I was wishing for (other teams attending, better score board) but overall it was a nice event.

BruceG
07-19-2009, 03:50 PM
I didnt go today. 70 at the gate is too much to watch...9 P cars and 10 GTs on the mickey mouse version of this track. Watching the replay now. Silly.

I understand ALMS is coming back next year for a 6 hour!!!!:smilie_pokal:

raffaelli
07-19-2009, 06:36 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I guess Skip needs to fill up track time somehow since it seems other series are shying away.

lateapex911
07-20-2009, 01:13 PM
I'd be amazed at that. What a bad choice of tracks for a 6 hour ALMS race. The drivers HATE the chicanes, and 1.5 miles with the different spreads of cars means a LOT of lapping.

It also means big spreads between the places, since it can be easy to get a lap down, whereas at other tracks, the gap would be closed up under a FCY.

Robert Zecca
07-21-2009, 09:01 PM
The weekend was incredible despite the ticket prices. We had more people for this event than any in the past 7 or 8 years. ALMS and the supporting races are quality and not quantity and this is what the LRP fans want to see. Now we must do the same for SCCA events.

Magical Trevor
07-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Huh?