PDA

View Full Version : Toyo setup differences

Streetwise guy
06-27-2009, 10:17 PM
So I have switched from Toyo RA1 to R888. Has anybody else noticed the additional negative camber required for the 888's, or is it just me? Mid day, I switched from last years RA1s to new 888s, and what had been even tire temp- about 130 across the face, went to 160-145-135.

Unique situation, or normal?

Flyinglizard
07-01-2009, 08:40 PM
You'll go faster with about 20* cooler outside . Tires might not last as long .

pitbull113
07-01-2009, 08:53 PM
There are numerous threads on this subject on specmiata dot com :cool:

NORRIS
07-01-2009, 09:18 PM
I've run RA1s for ages (I run Hoosiers when I need to go fast) I tried one set of 888s using my existing RA1/Hoosier set up and they wore out on the inside!

I think the 888 needs LESS camber, but that's just me.

Streetwise guy
07-01-2009, 09:26 PM
I corded the two left tires on a right turn biased track that I have not run before- old airport asphalt with two 180 degree right handers- in about two hours. Lots of tread left on the inside edge. I made some small setup changes that contributed to it, but the old RA1's continued to wear as they had before. Another racer running an AE86 Corolla did the very same thing with the same change at the same time. Flyinglizard- you figure I need enough neg camber to keep the outside edges cooler?

I'm gonna head over to the Specmiata forum and read up.

quadzjr
07-03-2009, 08:52 AM
according to the TOYO rep at the PRI expo.. the R888's require less camber than the RA-1s

Streetwise guy
07-06-2009, 09:01 PM
When I went back to a track I have run in the past, I found the camber to be quite similar to the RA1- within 1/2 degree I would say. I had tried my first 888s on a first time track (to me), so it was unfamiliar, biased towards right handers instead of lefts like the other two tracks I run on, and the surface was very coarse, so everyone had tire wear issues.

Temps and pressure increase were more than I am used to, but I've got the car dialed in better now, so I'm able to push a bit harder now. I kept dropping pressure by 2 psi on the front each session, and never got them to cool off in the middle. Still ended up at around 42 on the fronts after 15 minutes, and they seemed to get a bit slick for the last few laps if I'm pushing.(or being pushed.)

I like them better now than I did a couple weeks ago.