PDA

View Full Version : To all the ITA drivers

Mark G. Downing
06-25-2009, 12:45 AM
My name is Mark Downing (yes Matt's brother) and I am going to run the IT Fest weekend. I have not been racing in 2 years and I have a new civic that I will be running that weekend. The car will meet all ITA specs, but the motor is a generation newer. I was going to run ITE, but I am not sure I want to be on track with all the high HP cars. Normally this would not bother me, but I am learning a new car and trying to knock the rust off at the same time. My question is does any driver have an issue with me running in this group? I would start from the back on both races and would be moved to last in class at the finish. I understand if this does not work for you, but wanted to ask the question. If any driver has an issue with this, I will not ask to run in your group. I am looking forward to running ITA in the future because my brother has a lot of respect for all the IT drivers and it's just damn good racing. He has done a lot to make this Honda happen for me and I'm looking forward to trying front wheel drive. I will have no hard feelings if any driver does not think this is OK, but just had to ask.

Thanks,
Mark Downing
:eclipsee_steering:

RacerBill
06-25-2009, 01:26 AM
Welcom to the forum, Mark! Bout time you showed up here.

I'm not in ITA anymore since the CRB moved me down to ITB, but if it were up to me, I'd say go for it.

Mark and Matt are the backbone of IT!

dominojd
06-25-2009, 06:24 AM
You should really ask your brother if it's OK, you will be racing against him starting in the back. :D

Doesn't bother me one bit, but some may have a different attitude.

Ed Funk
06-25-2009, 06:53 AM
You should really ask your brother if it's OK, you will be racing against him starting in the back. :D

Doesn't bother me one bit, but some may have a different attitude.

WTF you sayin' 'bout my attitude boy!??:cool:

---no problem here.

RacerBowie
06-25-2009, 07:24 AM
Sure have at it! If you turn out to be really fast, I'll expect a bump-draft.

dhardison
06-25-2009, 07:43 AM
Hey Mark,

When talking w/Matt the other day he had a good idea. So far there are no ITE cars registered for this particular event. That being the case, we could both ask the 'powers that be' to move ITE in with Group 5 (ITR, STU). This of course will only work if no other high-powered ITE cars register.

Technically, I think you could also run in STU (Group 5) since your car meets ITA specs...... I've considered that as well.

Dan

Racerlinn
06-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Hey Mark - no issue from me.

Mark G. Downing
06-25-2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I thought about it on my way into work today and Dan I think you have a plan. I think even if group 4 has the big boys (and girls) running, it still won't have the number of cars on track this group will. Dan, Maybe we can watch the list (for group 4) and use group 5 (STU) as an option. Thanks for the time and looking forward to seeing/meeting all of you soon.

Thanks,
Mark Downing

ITA_honda
06-25-2009, 08:24 AM
That's not a problem with me.
Glad you are joining us ITA boys...

and if you start moving up through the pack, id expect a huge bump draft all the way around the track to the leaders, then you could pass me, and then the leaders could all pass me, and id be back in the same position I was in...:D

But seriously, looking forward to running with you at the IT fest

Rabbit07
06-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Your Matt's brother? Then no F'n way man! :).

No worries on my end. Although who knows if I'll even make it at this point.

RacerBowie
06-25-2009, 09:26 AM
I've got no interest in moving SPU or whatever into our group, personally.

It is the IT Fest after all, and the "true" IT classes should be able to showcase our own sessions. Moving a couple of ITEs in to run off the front and and take away the ITA leaders' chance to fight for an overall win or cost backmarkers laps just feels wrong.

dhardison
06-25-2009, 09:40 AM
I've got no interest in moving SPU or whatever into our group, personally.

It is the IT Fest after all, and the "true" IT classes should be able to showcase our own sessions. Moving a couple of ITEs in to run off the front and and take away the ITA leaders' chance to fight for an overall win or cost backmarkers laps just feels wrong.No, I wasn't at all suggesting that we move any ITE/STU cars into Group 1 with ITA, ITC, IT7. That definitely wouldn't be a good thing.

My suggesstion to Mark was that instead of running with ITA he runs in Group 5 which is already listed as ITR, STU. Either that or we just stay in Group 4 with ITE, GTA, STO, AS and try to stay out of the way.

Plus, even though my car is "classed" as ITE, there's no worry with me running up front with the ITA leaders. Not by a long shot - lol.

Dan

lateapex911
06-25-2009, 10:06 AM
I can't be there ( :(:() so I have no dog in the hunt...but, just curious, what are the differences powerwise between the "proper" engine and that in the car?

Mark G. Downing
06-25-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm sorry if it sounded like I wanted to move ITE into your run group because that is not what I was trying to say. I started off looking for options other than running with ITE,GTA,STO,and AS (I just want to turn laps and get back into the swing of things). Dan's idea is the right one. We can just run group 4 and maybe have an option of STU in group five. I guess I should have thought about this a little more before going to the board, but I thank you for your feedback.

Thanks,
Mark Downing

R2 Racing
06-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Mark, I was under the impression that this chassis has had several things done to it that were not IT legal. I think Matt even told me it was closer to a LP Prod car than an IT car. If the car is otherwise 100% IT legal other than your engine being a Y8 instead of a Z6, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

For those who don't know, the D16Y8 came in the '96-'00 EX (the 'EK' chassis) while the D16Z6 came in the '92-'95 EX (the 'EG' chassis). Both cars are classed in ITA at the same weight, 2305lbs. The engines are almost identical, with the block and head molds being the same, but IIRC the Y8 is factory rated at about +2hp over the Z6.

jimmyc
06-25-2009, 12:48 PM
Mark, I was under the impression that this chassis has had several things done to it that were not IT legal. I think Matt even told me it was closer to a LP Prod car than an IT car. If the car is otherwise 100% IT legal other than your engine being a Y8 instead of a Z6, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

For those who don't know, the D16Y8 came in the '96-'00 EX (the 'EK' chassis) while the D16Z6 came in the '92-'95 EX (the 'EG' chassis). Both cars are classed in ITA at the same weight, 2305lbs. The engines are almost identical, with the block and head molds being the same, but IIRC the Y8 is factory rated at about +2hp over the Z6.

here are the specs
D16Z6

* Found in
o 1992-1995 Honda Civic Si
o 1992-1995 Honda Civic EX, EX-V
o 1992-1995 Honda Civic ESi (European Market)
o 1993-1995 Honda Del Sol Si (US)
o 1993-1995 Honda Del Sol ESi (European)
+ Displacement : 1,590 cc (97 cu in)
+ Bore and Stroke : 75 mm × 90 mm (3.0 in × 3.5 in)
+ Rod Length : 137MM
+ Rod/Stroke : 1.52
+ Compression : 9.2:1
+ Power : 125 hp (93.2 kW, 127 ps) @ 6600 rpm
+ Torque : 106 ft·lb (14.7 kg/m, 144 Nm) @ 5200 rpm
+ Redline : 7200 rpm
+ Fuel Cut : 7411 rpm
+ VTEC Switchover : 4800 rpm[3]
+ Fuel Control : OBD-1 MPFI
+ Head Code : P08
+ ECU Code : P28
D16Y8

VTEC

Also available in New Zealand under the code D16Y6

* Found in
o 1999-2000 Honda Civic SE 1.6 Vtec (UK)
o 1996-1999 Honda Civic EX Sedan
o 1996-1999 Honda Civic EX Coupe
o 1996-2000 Honda Civic EX (US)
o 1996-2000 Honda Civic SI (Canada Only)
o 1997-2000 Acura 1.6EL (Canada Only)
o 1996-1997 Honda del Sol Si
o 1997-2000 Rover 416 Auto
+ Displacemnt : 1590cc
+ Bore and Stroke : 75 mm × 90 mm (3.0 in × 3.5 in)
+ Rod Length : 137 MM
+ Rod/Stroke : 1.52
+ Compression : 9.6:1
+ Valvetrain : SOHC 4 valves per cylinder
+ Power : 127 hp (94.7 kW, 229 ps) @ rpm
+ Torque : 111 ft·lbf (45.79 kg/m, 145.1 Nm) @ rp
+ Head Code : P2J
+ Piston Code : P2P
+ Redline 7200 rpm
+ ECU Code : P2P

the compression difference comes from the head chamber IIRC. And also the Intake Manifold is of different design.

Mark G. Downing
06-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Kevin, Your FP car looks and runs great. My car had no heater core, dash, had no trim, it had lexan widows, etc, but I bought a wrecked civic about a year ago to put all those parts back on the car. The glass guy is coming next week, but I'm going to run group 4 on the IT Fest weekend anyway.

Thanks,
Mark Downing

dhardison
06-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Mark you're already casting the mould of your new FWD career as a troublemaker! :D

Hopefully no other hi-po ITE cars register and we can convince them to let us slide in to Group 5.

Dan

Mark G. Downing
06-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Dan,

Watch it blow up the 1st lap of the PDX. Wouldn't that be just a ball of fun.

Thanks,
Mark Downing

downingracing
06-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Joe is right - One slow red Civic at the rear of the field is plenty!!!!!!!!

Kevin, the car is now 'close' to IT trim. One parts car and a ton of hours later - it has just about everything installed to be IT legal. The motor is the 'big' thing that is wrong... IT will be ITA legal by the end of the year!

I think moving ITE to the ITR/ITS group could work as long as no high HP cars enter in ITE.

I don't care what happens - I'm just looking forward to getting out for the first time this year!!! (And trying to keep it on the black part and under 2:00.00 laps :blink: )

jimmyc
06-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Joe is right - One slow red Civic at the rear of the field is plenty!!!!!!!!

Kevin, the car is now 'close' to IT trim. One parts car and a ton of hours later - it has just about everything installed to be IT legal. The motor is the 'big' thing that is wrong... IT will be ITA legal by the end of the year!

I think moving ITE to the ITR/ITS group could work as long as no high HP cars enter in ITE.

I don't care what happens - I'm just looking forward to getting out for the first time this year!!! (And trying to keep it on the black part and under 2:00.00 laps :blink: )

Just curious what was the car from/built/ran in previously?

downingracing
06-25-2009, 08:03 PM
Car was a stripped out Autocross car. Missing the things not needed for whatever class it was in. But all those bits needed put back in for IT. The parts car was just what the doctor ordered w/ things like the dash, heater core and stuff like that.

trhoppe
06-28-2009, 09:06 AM
If you're planning on being 20 seconds off the pace, run the PDX, run the test sessions, and skip the racing. At that point, its a very expensive "test day" and you might just get in the way of someone's race, if you get caught in the middle of a hard part of the track. You could actually hurt someone.

Then again, I have the attitude of racing to win rather then HPDE'ing which seems to be different from some of the people that I lap.

-Tom

bonespec
06-28-2009, 02:24 PM
So Mark, when do I get the tranny??????

Please don't hurt the motor....I was gonna buy it.

:eclipsee_steering:

downingracing
06-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Tom, No worries about the lap times - that was a joke. We both should be turing in the 1:45 to 1:47 range... (Hopefully faster!) No plans on getting lapped - enjoy lapping folks much better! :D

Bone, Running the tranny as-is for now. Won't be coming out until later this year. The motor will be available at the end of the 09 season. We will be converting the car to full ITA spec over the winter. Hopefully it will stay together that long!!! :)

Mark G. Downing
06-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Don' t know if I'll make it at all (or want to). My wife and kids were involved in a head on collision. A driver went into their lane and got them, but they are doing good. My wife broke her foot and has bad burns from the bag. Her Honda is done, but it did what it was designed to do to protect them. I need to take care of them now and not work on the car. Just a reminder to be safe on the track and on the street.

Thanks,
Mark Downing

dhardison
06-29-2009, 10:33 PM
VERY SORRY to hear that Mark, but I'm glad everyone avoided serious injury (you didn't mention the kids condition, so I hope they're ok as well). Take care of family first, the racing will be there when life is back to normal.

Dan

trhoppe
06-30-2009, 12:11 AM
Sorry to hear about the accident. Good luck getting out there.

-Tom

RacerBill
06-30-2009, 01:05 AM
Don' t know if I'll make it at all (or want to). My wife and kids were involved in a head on collision. A driver went into their lane and got them, but they are doing good. My wife broke her foot and has bad burns from the bag. Her Honda is done, but it did what it was designed to do to protect them. I need to take care of them now and not work on the car. Just a reminder to be safe on the track and on the street.

Thanks,
Mark Downing

Mark: Anything Sharon or I can do, please, just ask. Remember, I am home all day, now.