PDA

View Full Version : HPDE Safety

Dyno
06-22-2009, 11:32 AM
I have followed the safety-related threads here with interest. When I had my race car, I spent a significant portion of my build budget on safety items (although in those days "Hans" was known only as the pilot of the Millennium Falcon).

For better or worse, I no longer own a race car, but I still have that need for speed. Now I do what more and more enthusiasts seem to do -- head to the track for track days. I love it, but sometimes wonder about the safety aspect. I feel a little naked without that cage, harness, racing seat, firesuit, and extinguisher system.

On the positive side, my modern street car has many features that my old car did not: collapsible steering column, crumple zones, door beams, multiple air bags, ABS and stability control, etc. Plus the modern tracks are so much safer than they used to be. Also, the HPDE environment does seem less contact-prone than a real racing situation.

What does this community have to say about it? Am I being reckless? You guys seem very thoughtful and knowledgeable. I value your opinions.

RacerBill
06-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Dyno: Welcome to the IT Fourm! This is a very small item, but most members list at least their first name in addition to their 'handle'.

First, any time you put four wheels onto a race track, you are increasing the risk of something going wrong. I guess that is my 'con' view. On the 'pro' side, I have instructed at just about every SCCA PDX at Mid-Ohio, which means that I have willingly strapped myself into a car that I did not maintain, with a driver that I had never met, and have been driven around Mid-Ohio at speeds that very often exceed the speeds of my race car. (So, whose the crazy one here). And I am planning on assisting again this year.

You are right that today's cars are probably a lot safer than some old race cars, and the risks are a lot lower since you are not racing wheel to wheel or, in the case of a PDX, against the clock. The rules for saftey equipment for PDX's are for the most part minimum requirements, so if you feel like you need to wear a fire suit, or install a sturdier seat, you are free to do so.

The safety record for SCCA PDX's is very good, and would recommend them without hesitation. So, come on out. I think that your biggest risk will be getting the bug again for the wheel to wheel stuff. At least one of my students liked PDX so well, they went out and bought a race car and showed up at the next driver's school.

You don't say where you are from, but I will recommend the Cincy Region PDX at Mid-Ohio on July 31. If you volunteer to work and stay for the IT Spectacular on Saturday and Sunday, you will receive a discount on your entry fee. The IT Spectacular has the best IT racing in the country (with the possible exception of the ARRC at Road Atlanta in November or the West Coast IT Fest). And if that is not incentive enough, if you have a young driver in the family, they can receive a $75 discount on a Teen Driving School by the Mid-Ohio School on Sunday.

Hope this helps you out.

RacerBill
06-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Dyno: Turn on PM's when you can.

Dyno
06-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks.. Give me a bit to figure out the PM thing.

Dale
Chicagoland
2007 GTI