PDA

View Full Version : Battery Acid Removal

EBSNASCAR
06-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Anyone know how to remove battery acid from a transponder?
I tried adding water and baking soda, but it seems not to be working.

Jon2001sc2
06-15-2009, 10:12 AM
the only way I've had to do it before was with lots and lots of water. The big problem you will run into is that even if the acid drys all it takes is humidity to reactivate it and start eating into the trailer again. If you can flush it with enough water the ph of the acid will move closer to a neutral level where it will not be nearly as corrosive, eventually you can get it all flushed out but it will take the better part of a day with a hose. The baking soda will help neutralize it but it can be a mess to work with and is difficult to get into cracks and under the floors where the acid will have run to.

chuck baader
06-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Actually coke works very well...seems to have enough base to neutralize the acid. Chuck

quadzjr
06-15-2009, 11:23 AM
I am confused with the removal of battery acid form a transponder bit.. are you talking.. about the AMD transponder?

In either case from a pure chemisty stand point baking soda, sodium carbonate when mixed with water to turn the solution into a base is not a "very" strong base. You can also try amonia, which when mixed with water turns into a base as well.

If you want a strong base that doesn't use water.. you can use almost anything with the word "hydroxide" in pure solution. However it's reaction may be worse than the acids :)

you can use the water method..

"dilution is the solution to polution"

you can get some cheap PH strips to determine when the PH has beceome neutralized.

EBSNASCAR
06-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Yes AMD transponder, not a trailer. Thanks for the responses.
I tried baking soda but I seemed to go nowhere. I think I may have to soak it. I may try the Cola method too.

I have battery acid in several point of the car. Control arm, exhaust, fuel cell, inner fender well. It is amazing what a mess a broken battery bracket will do.

Thanks for the input

Hotshoe
06-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Yes AMD transponder, not a trailer. Thanks for the responses.
I tried baking soda but I seemed to go nowhere. I think I may have to soak it. I may try the Cola method too.

I have battery acid in several point of the car. Control arm, exhaust, fuel cell, inner fender well. It is amazing what a mess a broken battery bracket will do.

Thanks for the input

I have to deal with this stuff all the time in the collision repair industry and vinegar works the best...........

Z3_GoCar
06-15-2009, 09:43 PM
In the pool/spa section of home despot/lowes you should find a product called "spa up" It's basically pure sodium Bicarb used to keep spa ph in the 7.4-7.8 range. A solution of this should help with neutralize acid.