PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brakes

tdw6974
06-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Left Home base for the 6 hr trip to NJMP at 6:00 am 30 minutes later smoke was rolling out of the right frt wheel of the trailer duals. Pulled the wheel off limped into co SCCA racer Steve Moores Garage (Won the f500 Sunday) proceeded with repairs. New Backing plate with complete brake assembly new hub assembly with bearings not quit as simple as it sounds when the first hub was incorrect spacing on wheel studs(New rule always try hub on wheel first) measure studs add 1/4" on to new jersey arriving 9:30pm at least the rest of the weekend was good! Now what the hell caused the brake to set up? Fauilure of the magnet any way to test the wheel bearings had been greased. and now back home we have pulled the rest of the wheels off and all appear fine good lining plenty of grease etc. Just glad it happened where it did and not on the turnpike. Any suggestions as to how check magnets so no reoccurence!!

lateapex911
06-12-2009, 12:00 AM
Left Home base for the 6 hr trip to NJMP at 6:00 am 30 minutes later smoke was rolling out of the right frt wheel of the trailer duals. Pulled the wheel off limped into co SCCA racer Steve Moores Garage (Won the f500 Sunday) proceeded with repairs. New Backing plate with complete brake assembly new hub assembly with bearings not quit as simple as it sounds when the first hub was incorrect spacing on wheel studs(New rule always try hub on wheel first) measure studs add 1/4" on to new jersey arriving 9:30pm at least the rest of the weekend was good! Now what the hell caused the brake to set up? Fauilure of the magnet any way to test the wheel bearings had been greased. and now back home we have pulled the rest of the wheels off and all appear fine good lining plenty of grease etc. Just glad it happened where it did and not on the turnpike. Any suggestions as to how check magnets so no reoccurence!!

Just get the trailer off the ground, spin a tire, then jumper in (with alligator clips) some voltage at the proper pins on the connector. You could also do it hooked to the rig. But, let me back up...you're saying that the magnet froze in the energized position, applying the brake constantly?

Right off the top of my head, that sounds like an issue with the internal lever/linkage mechanism not releasing properly. I can't imagine how a magnet would remain energized with no voltage being sent to it. (For you trailer brake experts out there, check me on this: Brake controller gets brake signal from vehicle circuit, and applies voltage (varying depending on deceleration needs and settings) to the brake wire to the trailer. Brake wire connects to (generally) the four brake magnets, and then grounds. Magnets energize, linkages force shoes to drums, trailer slows, correct?)

So, I can't figure out how you were applying a constant source of voltage to that ONE brake. And that you repaired it with no electrical changes. I suspect the problem wasn't the magnet, or maybe I misunderstand your description.

You're lucky to find the right parts so quickly. I redid mine recently, and did the same thing...replace it all. It was actually cheaper to get the whole shebang, and easier too. Since you replaced everything, I bet you replaced the real issue.

tom91ita
06-18-2009, 10:18 PM
do you have the battery back-up on your trailer. is there any way that circuit came undone to where it applied the brakes?

of course that should have applied all of them.....

i think you had something else break in there or something came loose.