PDA

View Full Version : Golf III, no sunroof.

GRMPer
06-09-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm looking around for a Volkswagen to build as a project car and debating the whole "should I look for a unicorn?" and start with a non-sunroof Sport.

Has anyone weighed the sunroof crap on a glass sunroof VW?

I'm finding a lot of sunroofs here in the sunshine state...and the hardtop I found is rusty....either way, I think I'm going to be welding.

Per

Knestis
06-09-2009, 08:38 PM
I suspect, after looking at more than a few of them, that a rust-free example is going to be more rare than a hardtop. I JUMPED on the one that I found (Pablo II), only to commit ourselves to dozens of hours of floor repairs. If I could find one that wasn't rotten, I'd cover the hole.

K

GRMPer
06-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Are they rusting that much worse than a A2? rear quarters, gas filler, hatch...where else?

shwah
06-09-2009, 08:57 PM
They all rust in the floors A2 and A3 are worse than the A1 IMO.

Defintelyl look out west for a donor.

Knestis
06-09-2009, 09:12 PM
There's some basic problems with how the floor layers come together and trap water, I think. Check the floors in the rear seat, the rockers particularly toward the back, and along the tunnel at the floor panel seams in front of the shifter.

K

chewy8000
06-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Yeah don't get stuck on the sunroof, the floor repair is WAY more work. I got lucky with Pablo's cousin Pedro being super clean with no floor issues.

JoshS
06-10-2009, 02:00 AM
They all rust in the floors A2 and A3 are worse than the A1 IMO.

Defintelyl look out west for a donor.

Good advice ... there are plenty* of rust-free examples out here, Per! Here's a nice red one:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/1212337999.html

Or a white one:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/1212039404.html

JLawton
06-10-2009, 06:42 AM
You guys are all giving him the WRONG advice!!! :cool:

Don't build, BUY!!!!!!

GRMPer
06-10-2009, 06:46 AM
In Soviet Russia, ITB builds you!

Um. I build. that's the fun and the editorial angle. Not sure if this is going to be a ITB car, an FSP car or just a fun track rat. Either way, my last VW was a Golf Sport hardtop that I bought new. Time to find another.

thanks for the suggestions!

Per

Beran
06-10-2009, 07:45 AM
I think a non sunroof after market replacement roof skin is cheap.
Although.... on average, most non sunroof cars have much less rust on the floor then sunroof cars since the sunroof cars leaked down behind the drivers seat which caused the puddle and rust in the floor. (tube that drained water from sunroof always clogged/leaked eventually)

lateapex911
06-10-2009, 03:40 PM
In Soviet Russia, ITB builds you!

Um. I build. that's the fun and the editorial angle. Not sure if this is going to be a ITB car, an FSP car or just a fun track rat. Either way, my last VW was a Golf Sport hardtop that I bought new. Time to find another.

thanks for the suggestions!

Per

ITB! ITB! ITB!
:smilie_pokal::smilie_pokal::smilie_pokal:

Flyinglizard
06-14-2009, 03:15 PM
I have a customer with solid Jetta, MK 3, that has a bad auto, and is going to part out the whole car. Roller should be about 500$ or less.
I also have 85 Golf GTI and 85 Jett, both solid race cra builders. The Jetts are a better race car, aero wise and balance wise.
FL. 34604. MM

shwah
06-14-2009, 11:42 PM
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1220131301.html

D. Ellis-Brown
06-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Per, have you considered a Jetta for your ITB car? There were twice as many Jetta's built as Golfs. Therefore being able to find a good one cheap is a more likely. We found ours in a junk yard here in central florida for $200.00. The body was perfect, the engine was seized. It has a sunroof, but after we removed the glass, etc. and sealed it up weight issue was negligible. Plus you might come across one without a sun roof. Mine was the first to race in CFR, and now another has been built, and I know of a third that is under construction. Plus, two drivers, Randy Pobst and Paul Ronie, both said that they were impressed how well my Jetta handled over the GTI's they were used to driving. Paul commented that his "hands" did not have to move as fast with the Jetta as compared to the 2 door Golfs. Plus you can get the weight down. A little work scrapping, but it can be done. Just a comment.

GRMPer
06-18-2009, 06:56 AM
I've already had a few Jettas (the 2-doors) and wanted a Golf. I actually found a base 94 no-sunroof that's cheap. Got a spot of rust on the passenger front tower---but saveable.

edison_GTI
06-20-2009, 10:39 AM
You guys are making me feel really bad since I'll be sending to the crusher a rust free '95 Golf shell :(

GTIspirit
06-22-2009, 08:54 PM
I think a non sunroof after market replacement roof skin is cheap.
Although.... on average, most non sunroof cars have much less rust on the floor then sunroof cars since the sunroof cars leaked down behind the drivers seat which caused the puddle and rust in the floor. (tube that drained water from sunroof always clogged/leaked eventually)

After being surprised at the floorpan rust on my '87 GTI 16V I totally agree with Beran. I'll never buy another sunroof car again, new, used, for whatever reason. The car is in great shape otherwise, I had no idea about the floorpan rust and repairing that is causing my cage build to take longer than expected.

Knestis
06-22-2009, 11:35 PM
You guys are making me feel really bad since I'll be sending to the crusher a rust free '95 Golf shell :(

Where is it?
K

edison_GTI
06-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Where is it?
K

College Station, TX

Knestis
06-23-2009, 11:58 AM
College Station, TX

Bummer. That's neither of the places I need it.

K

Flyinglizard
06-26-2009, 10:02 PM
I found a nice 95 2dr Golf, 5spd, no roof, for $700. FL rust free car. The Jetta sold last week for $1000.
The Golf is one of my customers, that had the DUI thing, doesnt need the car..
MM

GRMPer
07-02-2009, 05:11 PM
emailed....interested

GRMPer
07-06-2009, 08:24 PM
bought Ogren's 95, so now I have an extra 94 no-sunroof car if any one is interested in a running car to start an ITB project with :rolleyes: