PDA

View Full Version : Shocks Shocks Shocks

JohnW8
06-09-2009, 02:43 PM
I need some education on shock absorbers. Double adjustable, single adjustable, non adjustable, monotube, I've seen cars on just about everything. It has me wondering what is the best route to go.

I currently have some wore out Bilsteins on a former Spec Miata/current ITA wanna-be car. I will in the near future be looking for new shocks. Without giving up too much personal knowledge can someone educate me on shocks for a IT car? I've had locals talk about anywhere from $4000 Penskes to getting what I have revalved.

What's the shock of choice for the IT crowd and why?

quadzjr
06-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Personnally we run koni race valved shocks. double adjsutable 8611 and single 8610. Recnetly we worked on an miata that had the old SM bilstiens re-valved to our specifications. It all depends on how much you want to get out of your shock. With penske 36 way double adjustable shocks.. yeah they are awesome, but are you good enough to utilize them to dial them in to your spring rates, driving style, weather conditions, track, etc.. In the pro series they adjust them for every track.. which warrants the need for highly adjustable shocks like penske, ohlins, higher end koni, etc..

On an IT car normally once you get a balance it stays fairly close to that from then on untill weather conditions or track conditions warrant a change.

Personally I would run the bilsteins and save up some money for some race valved koni's.

JohnW8
06-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks Steve. I appreciate the response. No I'm not good enough for the multi adjustable Penskes. Koni race shocks are on my list for the ITA car since I have them on my CSP Autocross car. But road racing and autocross are 2 different critters and being on a budget, I just want to make the smarter choices from the start. Input from people who've done it for a while really help. Thanks!

Greg Amy
06-09-2009, 03:19 PM
What's the shock of choice for the IT crowd and why?

http://iscracing.net/Miata_suspension.htm

timo944
07-06-2009, 04:55 PM
You need to consider spring rate. On my 944 at least, the Konis "yellows" would give it up once you got past about 400 lbs, requiring frequent rebuilds. So if you are stifly sprung you may need a better quality shock.

FWIW I have used Advance Design (aka Ground Control) and they are a) inexpensive, b) very light, and c) set up for your spring rate, and d) have good adjustment range. I have no affiliation with Ground Control.

Ed Funk
07-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Good, yes. ----but very fragile!

Tristan Smith
07-06-2009, 05:37 PM
How are they fragile?

mossaidis
07-06-2009, 05:41 PM
I have a set of SPSS3 Koni shocks - purchased for ~ $1400. They're basically revalved yellows with shortened stems. Stock Yellows for the honda can handle up to 600/400 fr/rr spring rates. The SPSS3's can handle more like 1000/600. It's another cheaper alternative to Advanced Design or other makes.

As far as Miata shocks go, I have heard great things about JRZ though they are not cheap. $4K.

lateapex911
07-06-2009, 05:47 PM
My experience with the GCs was bad. They leak gas. So you get the refill kit: "Oh we didn't mention that when you called about them? So sorry, your credit card number please?"

You got the strut insert. But how to refill the gas?? "Yes, to access the filling valve on those you must remove them, as they are at the bottom of the tube. How often? Every race day, we suggest"

Then there's the "it just doesn't work anymore" issue after a year.
And the hopes you get lucky when you call in and find a guy who actually knows his stuff.

Maybe my experience was unique, but they seemed too good to be true, and they were.

When I discovered the rear left was useless (blown) on Friday at the IT Fest, Lee from Koni had a new set in my hands by 8AM Sat.
I'm a Koni guy now.

924Guy
07-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Love those Bilsteins... freakin' indestructible and very very consistent. There's a guy in the SE who'll rebuild them with dyno sheets before and after - Bernie Stewart, Stewart Development, 336-472-8772 is his office... no affiliation, but friends/coworkers (including SM guys) have had very good results. I got mine done by Bilstein, which I'da known about him!

Only downside is the lack of adjustability. But there are other ways to tweak the chassis (though I'll admit, I'm going double-adjustable for my next car, the DSR), so I'm not suffering... besides, they're so cheap, it isn't hard to get multiple sets into rotation.

shwah
07-07-2009, 08:56 AM
I have Bilsteins on my street car, as they are super durable.

I have Ground Control AD on my race car, and they work great.

trhoppe
07-07-2009, 03:24 PM
If you want a nice double, that lasts a good long time, that is awesome as far as performance, look no further then a Koni 2812. I've really enjoyed mine.

If you want something different, can't go wrong with whatever ISC is selling for Miatas though, they sure know them some ITA Miata.

-Tom

Xian
07-25-2009, 10:00 PM
I'd look at the Koni offerings for the Miata. Bowie ran a set of the SA's on his car for years and they were indestructible. I know he stepped up to the DA's for the new build though...

RacerBowie
07-25-2009, 11:20 PM
I'd look at the Koni offerings for the Miata. Bowie ran a set of the SA's on his car for years and they were indestructible. I know he stepped up to the DA's for the new build though...

I'm thinking about selling the singles at some point here... I keep going back and forth between selling them or keeping them as spares.

JeffYoung
07-25-2009, 11:29 PM
They make 2812s in custom body diamters and lengths?

RacerBowie
07-26-2009, 10:34 AM
They make 2812s in custom body diamters and lengths?

Lengths for sure. Diameters I don't know about. Call Oscar and Cameron at the shop and they can find out...

quadzjr
07-27-2009, 08:49 AM
the 2800 series varies quite a bit. The 2812 is a tyipcal shock that can be made to any lenght. The offer a 2812 LB that is for longer length applications. there is also inverted shocks 2812's called the 2817.
http://www.koniracing.com/28.cfm