PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gen RX-7 Muffler

Rich Walke
06-08-2009, 09:18 PM
I need some advice on a muffler for my 2nd Gen RX-7. I run a single pipe system, with two Borla stainless steel mufflers. The first muffler is approximately 12 in. behind the header flange and the second is at the back of the car. The front Borla lasted for four seasons before it cracked and split apart at the rear. I replaced it over the winter with a Borla XR-1 Sportsman muffler. That lasted less than 2 hours before it split around the perimeter about mid-way back. There is no point putting another Borla on. As such, I need some advice on what to use. I need something round or oval, no more than 4-1/2 to 5 in. in diameter or high, respectively, and 16 in. long. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

rx7chris
06-08-2009, 09:33 PM
I usewd to run an RV spec muffler on my 1st gen. want to say it was magnaflow, did the trick all by its self. No problems in the year and a half i had the car.

mbuskuhl
06-08-2009, 11:29 PM
How about a Racing Beat 3" universal presilencer? It meets your requirements. Might also look at the Dynomax Ultra Flo SS - they make a 6" round 3" in and out. ISC used that one but in non SS.

I've got a one weekend old Racing Beat 3" presilencer I don't need any longer if you want a deal.

rx7chris
06-09-2009, 07:51 AM
That was the name i couldn't think of, dynomax. That's exactly what i was running, just not stainless steel.

racingralph
06-09-2009, 10:30 PM
you can check with steve @ seckerich , he has the muffler you need. a muffler that can be repacked with steel wool (ss). the bullet type have filterglass packing in them , it burns out real fast. steve also as one of the fastest rx-7s/its in the southeast , and knows what it takes to be fast. ralph

waynehussey
06-10-2009, 03:53 PM
I also use the dynomax ultraflo...no issues for 3 years and counting

seckerich
06-11-2009, 06:10 PM
you can check with steve @ seckerich , he has the muffler you need. a muffler that can be repacked with steel wool (ss). the bullet type have filterglass packing in them , it burns out real fast. steve also as one of the fastest rx-7s/its in the southeast , and knows what it takes to be fast. ralph

Thanks for the compliment Ralph.

The mufflers we used from Borla are now total crap and last only a race or 2 on a good day. Not sure of everything they changed, but it is no longer good stainless, thinner, and the packing is not secure and blows right to one end and creates restriction. Got pissed and designed my own. No, they are not for sale yet because I have too many other parts I owe people and not enough time. Should be available later this year.

Rich Walke
06-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. You gave me several good leads to follow up on.

I spoke with Dave Lemons today and Mazdatrix has two mufflers he beleives will do the job. They are the REV TII presilencer (16425P) and the Universal Muffler (16030). The later is just a bit to tall (deep) in my opinion, so I believe I will go with the first one. It is in reality a Racing Beat product.

Mark, if this is the presilencer you have, I would like to talk to you about it. Please either email me at [email protected] and give me your phone number, or give me a call at (847) 274-0283.

Thanks again.

mbuskuhl
06-12-2009, 07:26 AM
Mark, if this is the presilencer you have, I would like to talk to you about it. Please either email me at [email protected] and give me your phone number, or give me a call at (847) 274-0283.

Thanks again.

The 16425P $249 http://www.racingbeat.com/resultset.asp?PartNumber=16425P has a hanger attached as well as flanges at both ends, it's a 3" presilencer. The ones I have used, $99 16435 http://www.racingbeat.com/resultset.asp?PartNumber=16435 (purchased from Mazdatrix) is a bare unit, it's a 3" presilencer. I do not know if there is any difference in the actual presilencer. I can say for sure the 16435 has a very coarse stainless steel packing, I've opened one up before. Might check with Dave, you might be able to save $150 if you don't need 2 flanges and a hanger.

In any case, mine is already pending sale, it picked up interest a day after I first posted. If it falls through I'll let you know.