PDA

View Full Version : NHMS race groups?

dickita15
06-08-2009, 05:58 AM
I was going to post this in the LRP thread but did not want to have it get lost.

Actually I have been doing math on the closed wheel race groups based on recent participation.
It would be possible to compact these 6 groups into 4
GT1, GT2, GT3, T1, T2, AS, SPO, ITE, ITR, STO, ST, 27 cars
SM, EP, FP, GTL SPU, Legends, SSB, SSC, T3, STU, HP, 38 cars
ITA, SRF, IT7, 32 cars, (would require split start.)

SSM, ITS, ITB, ITC, 35 cars

This kind of consolidation would allow three on track session a day instead of two for the same entry fee.

What do you think?

By the way this is not an official proposal, just one person’s thoughts

JLawton
06-08-2009, 06:47 AM
Dick,

What do the SRFs do for times? I ran with them at an enduro and it was challenging. Tough to see in the mirrors......

Ed Funk
06-08-2009, 06:48 AM
Oooh, oooh!!, are SRF's as much fun to run with as SSM's?? Used to run with them in 12 ands 24 hr enduros, we only had contact twice in a 24 hr, but had to do a lot of mirror watching as they'd come through in a train----very confusing at night!

dickita15
06-08-2009, 07:08 AM
SRF varies from 1:15 to 1:20
ITA-IT7 varies from 1:16 to 1:23
It would require a true split start where ITA starts 30 to 40 seconds behind SRF

CRallo
06-08-2009, 11:12 AM
With a split start that could work...

Not sure how SM would feel about sharing the track. ;)

Sounds like a good thig to me! Could make for a busy day, but more track time is more track time! sign me up! :D

this of course assumes that the extra track time doesn't attract too many extra entries...

Andy Bettencourt
06-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Chris brings up a good point. You are making an attempt to add value to the event by increasing track time. If you do add that value and more people come, does your new grouping suggestion allow for growth?

I suppose you may lose as many as you gain with the new groups but the question is valid.

gran racing
06-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Just limit the number of entries in each group. It's too bad to turn people away, but as we've said many times there are plenty of other events to choose from.

dickita15
06-08-2009, 12:51 PM
this of course assumes that the extra track time doesn't attract too many extra entries...

Well the numbers of cars I expect are listed in the first post and minor juggling can be done by moving one and two car classes like SPU and STU and Prod.
I am surprised there has been no comment from the ITR guys yet :rolleyes:

CRallo
06-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Just limit the number of entries in each group. It's too bad to turn people away, but as we've said many times there are plenty of other events to choose from.

Seems a bit harsh, but very true. We would have leaner, meaner events and we'd all get more for less in the long run!

I am surprised there has been no comment from the ITR guys yet :rolleyes:

haha, they won't be the big fish in that pond, will they!?

rhygin
06-08-2009, 01:31 PM
I might like to give it a try... or have one long race? I liked the length of the NARRC race...35 minutes or so?

Interesting

rthiele
06-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Well that pond would be nothing for me as you already guessed, at least speaking for myself. If I wanted simply lots of track time with all sorts of different cars, fast and slow, I go to a track day.

If I want QUALITY racing, I pick an event with a good number of comparable cars I can race with (for me in ITR that is ITS, remember the E36 were ITS cars until a while ago and have not changed too dramatically since then), and races of a good length (25-45 minutes, not shorter).