PDA

View Full Version : Steel Cities Double Regional Follow-Up

RedMisted
06-08-2009, 01:17 AM
Hats off to Steel Cities :happy204: for running a quality event despite the low car counts. I ran in group 5 (14 cars), as well as the one hour enduro, and never felt that I didn't have anyone to dice with. Those Miatas are a blast to race against!

Thanks to SCR region for giving us the one-hour enduro for only 50 dollars That's tons of track time when you include the two separate enduro practices/qually sessions. And for ONLY $50!!!!!

I would strongly urge everyone, if they can, to go out to Beaver next year to run the SCR event. I promise you won't be disappointed. Great track for racing (always a dogfight in most corners, it seems), relatively inexpensive entry fees, beautiful SW PA hill country and GREAT PEOPLE!!! I learned alot racing at this track and can't wait to go back again in '10. :024:

ITA_honda
06-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Hats off to Steel Cities :happy204: for running a quality event despite the low car counts. I ran in group 5 (14 cars), as well as the one hour enduro, and never felt that I didn't have anyone to dice with. Those Miatas are a blast to race against!

Thanks to SCR region for giving us the one-hour enduro for only 50 dollars That's tons of track time when you include the two separate enduro practices/qually sessions. And for ONLY $50!!!!!

I would strongly urge everyone, if they can, to go out to Beaver next year to run the SCR event. I promise you won't be disappointed. Great track for racing (always a dogfight in most corners, it seems), relatively inexpensive entry fees, beautiful SW PA hill country and GREAT PEOPLE!!! I learned alot racing at this track and can't wait to go back again in '10. :024:

I agree with Chris, I LOVE the track and the people. Steel Cities could have been down in the mouth cause there were hardly any cars that showed up....but they remained positive and friendly! kudos to them!!:happy204:

I finished 2nd in ITA both days....learned the track fairly fast..
congrats to Rick Jarrett for setting a new ITA track record (1:07.6)
thats moving!!!

rickyellow90
06-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Sttel Cities always puts on a first class event, friendly people, good food and beer and Beaver Run is a fun track to run, a little hard on equipment but fun.

Rick Jarrett
ITA 88 Honda Civic

RedMisted
06-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Rick, congrats on your track record. :happy204: Hope we have a chance to meet off-track in future. I was so busy with the enduro stuff this weekend and my high maintenance car that I had no chance to introduce myself to several people.

Greg, I finished first both days in ITR. I had only one car to beat, but Marty can be a beast to race against. That 944s of his can be difficult to catch on some days so I was happy to win this weekend. :026:

Note to all: Don't EVER start a race on "buffed tires" Buffing is different from shaving in that the tire tread depth is reduced by a grinding process. What you end up with is a tire that doesn't have a smooth surface, instead it's got the coarse appearance of very tiny cornrows. So lots of loose rubber, and LOTS of sliding around for a few laps and losing precious positions until everything can burn off (about 2-3 laps). If you have your tires buffed. work off that loose crap during a practice/qualifying session before you race. Just some friendly advice that I learned the hard way, and damn am I lucky I didn't take anybody out in the first turn on Sunday! :024:

dj10
06-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Chris,
Congrats on your wins. 1st time out for me on Friday's test day, a problem reared it's ugly head so I had to pack up to get it fixed. Sorry I missed you.
Was Marty in a 968 or his p44? The entry had him in a 968......new car?

cjb25hs
06-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Well I had alot of fun other than my suspoension set up made the car push like a freight train. Starting last and finishing last with nobody to run with is not much fun. Got to dice it up a bit with Marty in Sunday's race so that was the best part of the weekend.

Don't count out the Double Event at Beaverun in August, it has not been officially cancelled. If you are not going to the IT Fest make a point to come to Beaverun on 8/1-8/2.

ITA_honda
06-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Well I had alot of fun other than my suspoension set up made the car push like a freight train. Starting last and finishing last with nobody to run with is not much fun. Got to dice it up a bit with Marty in Sunday's race so that was the best part of the weekend.

Don't count out the Double Event at Beaverun in August, it has not been officially cancelled. If you are not going to the IT Fest make a point to come to Beaverun on 8/1-8/2.

Chris, if they dont cancel it I might just come back instead of heading to the IT fest. I really, really like Beaverun. but Im not sure how many people will be there...I want some competition. Like you, I was running by myself most of the race. At the start, dicing it up with the ITE and ITS boys...but then they put the hammer down and left me.:eek:

ITZ34
06-08-2009, 01:14 PM
My hats off to SCR also. I felt bad that they had such a poor turnout, but they put on a good event anyway. Hadn't been to the Beav in a couple of years but I'll definitely put in on the schedule for next year

ITA_honda
06-08-2009, 01:42 PM
My hats off to SCR also. I felt bad that they had such a poor turnout, but they put on a good event anyway. Hadn't been to the Beav in a couple of years but I'll definitely put in on the schedule for next year

Hey Dave, that was me in the red Honda Civic (ITA) We ran together for a few laps Sunday at the start. I had a blast. hope I didnt hold ya up at all......

cjb25hs
06-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Chris, if they dont cancel it I might just come back instead of heading to the IT fest. I really, really like Beaverun. but Im not sure how many people will be there...I want some competition. Like you, I was running by myself most of the race. At the start, dicing it up with the ITE and ITS boys...but then they put the hammer down and left me.:eek:

Hopefully next time out I will be right there with you. Looks like after some new rear springs maybe some swaybar changes and a little bit different alignment I should be able to drop at least 1-2 seconds at Beaver. I could make it thru the 7-9 section down to turn 10 well, but 3-5 was nothing but push, push, push!! I bet between 3-5 section alone I was loosing a second and at least another section thru 10 and down the front stretch.

RedMisted
06-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Chris,
Congrats on your wins. 1st time out for me on Friday's test day, a problem reared it's ugly head so I had to pack up to get it fixed. Sorry I missed you.
Was Marty in a 968 or his p44? The entry had him in a 968......new car?

It was the 944s car. Why the entries showed 968 is beyond me. (Why not show 917K, then? :D)
Thanks for the congrats. Sorry about your car trouble. Hope you get it sorted soon.
I'm taking a break through mid-summer. I'll be back on track at the IT Fest. However, I may stop by at Nelson to watch some of the FLR regional races at month's end.
See everybody soon. :eclipsee_steering:

ITA_honda
06-08-2009, 03:22 PM
It was the 944s car. Why the entries showed 968 is beyond me. (Why not show 917K, then? :D)
Thanks for the congrats. Sorry about your car trouble. Hope you get it sorted soon.
I'm taking a break through mid-summer. I'll be back on track at the IT Fest. However, I may stop by at Nelson to watch some of the FLR regional races at month's end.
See everybody soon. :eclipsee_steering:

Marty's car is a 944 with a 968 motor in it..

ITZ34
06-08-2009, 06:02 PM
You didn't hold me up at all. It was fun running with you guys

RedMisted
06-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Marty's car is a 944 with a 968 motor in it..

Sorry, Dan. I stand corrected. Marty's car has 968 specs but shows 944s badging. :shrug: According to the GCR, the 968 is a proper ITR car.

dj10
06-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Sorry, Dan. I stand corrected. Marty's car has 968 specs but shows 944s badging. :shrug: According to the GCR, the 968 is a proper ITR car.

So he doesn't have a 968 body? The 944S and the 968 had the same 3.0 L 4 cy engine 4 valve. Pretty much the only difference was the body. Both had Turbo brakes that work very well.

RedMisted
06-09-2009, 11:25 AM
So he doesn't have a 968 body? The 944S and the 968 had the same 3.0 L 4 cy engine 4 valve. Pretty much the only difference was the body. Both had Turbo brakes that work very well.

I thought there were some minor differences with the engines. I really don't know Porsches that well. My bad. But I do know that I saw a 944s badge on the rear of Marty's car during the weekend...

cjb25hs
06-09-2009, 01:58 PM

Actually I believe that his car was originally a 944S which was the 2.5l 16v. The 3.0 Liter car only came out in '89 IIRC as the 944S2. Marty's car might actually be the S2 but he has a regular 944 front end. The 944S2's had the Turbo nose.

dj10
06-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Actually I believe that his car was originally a 944S which was the 2.5l 16v. The 3.0 Liter car only came out in '89 IIRC as the 944S2. Marty's car might actually be the S2 but he has a regular 944 front end. The 944S2's had the Turbo nose.

Sorry I meant the S2, not S. Your are right about the nose it's just like my Turbo Cup Car was.

D.R.
06-22-2009, 01:49 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm Dave Heinz, I was driving the McB Autosport Mazda RX7 in the double regional. I'm new to the game of club racing, although last season I ran the SCCA Pro Racing Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup. I had a great weekend racing with you all; the racing was great and my McB Autosport crew couldn't have been better.

It was my first time in the car and on the track, and I managed to turn a 1:07.9, which I was very pleased with. I finished second in both of the races, to one of the board members here. He can attest to taking the lead from me in the last corner of the last lap in the second race. :happy204:

I also had a great race with an ITE Firebird. Not sure if he is on the board or not, but we went back and forth for a few laps while I desperately tried to get around him to pursue the TeamDI 240z that was rapidly pulling away! Thanks for the clean, fair racing, it was a blast!

I shot some video with my new HD camera setup, Traqmate and Dashware overlay... I'll leave you with some footage of the Firebird battle. As you can see, it was all good, clean fun (although I nearly crapped myself when the Firebird hit the brakes across turn 8!). Any comments/criticisms are more than welcome. Anyways, I thought that I'd pop in and introduce myself, I'll see you all at the track hopefully soon!

Edit: Well, it appears that I can't post the video link... go to Vimeo (Vimeo dot com) and enter "Beaverun Firebird" into the search box and the video will be the only result.

ITA_honda
06-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm Dave Heinz, I was driving the McB Autosport Mazda RX7 in the double regional. I'm new to the game of club racing, although last season I ran the SCCA Pro Racing Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup. I had a great weekend racing with you all; the racing was great and my McB Autosport crew couldn't have been better.

It was my first time in the car and on the track, and I managed to turn a 1:07.9, which I was very pleased with. I finished second in both of the races, to one of the board members here. He can attest to taking the lead from me in the last corner of the last lap in the second race. :happy204:

I also had a great race with an ITE Firebird. Not sure if he is on the board or not, but we went back and forth for a few laps while I desperately tried to get around him to pursue the TeamDI 240z that was rapidly pulling away! Thanks for the clean, fair racing, it was a blast!

I shot some video with my new HD camera setup, Traqmate and Dashware overlay... I'll leave you with some footage of the Firebird battle. As you can see, it was all good, clean fun (although I nearly crapped myself when the Firebird hit the brakes across turn 8!). Any comments/criticisms are more than welcome. Anyways, I thought that I'd pop in and introduce myself, I'll see you all at the track hopefully soon!

Edit: Well, it appears that I can't post the video link... go to Vimeo (Vimeo dot com) and enter "Beaverun Firebird" into the search box and the video will be the only result.

DAVE! whats up dude? I remember ya. I was in the red ITA Honda Civic behind you guys. And wow! I was quite entertained with you and the Firebird of Dan Kaplow. I cought up with ya in the turns but ofcourse, your power pulled me down the straights. I didnt want to loose sight of you guys cause I loved the show you were putting on. So while I was trying to run my race, I was also trying hard to hold on to you guys as many laps as I could! :D
Ill be interested in seeing your on board camera.

And I had no idea you were in the TDI cup. Thats cool!...how did that work out for ya?

ITA_honda
06-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Dave: I saw the video on Vimeo. haha. I still smiled watching it (like I was during the race)
you dominate in the corners, but once that firebird gets straight, you see the back end squat, and BAM! he is gone!