PDA

View Full Version : Seat Backets

mr. black
06-07-2009, 04:54 PM
I have an E36 BMW and I'm need to install an instructors seat within two weeks. Any recommendations for a relatively inexpensive bracket base? I am ordering a fiberglass seat from JEGS.

dhardison
06-08-2009, 07:19 AM
Sparco makes good quality seat brackets for ~$100-$125 that use the factory seat attachment points. They offer both driver and passenger brackets for the 92-99 E36.

http://www.sparcousa.com/pseats_acc.asp?id=537

Dan

mr. black
06-08-2009, 11:12 AM
I had the understanding that that base only works with Sparco seats. I'm looking for bolt-in and maybe some drilling. No fabrication, unless someone has something that they know that works.

dhardison
06-08-2009, 12:41 PM
I used the same Sparco-brand seat bracket with Momo sliders and a Momo seat (i.e. dissimilar brands). Just had to drill some holes in the seat bracket to mount the sliders.

If the Jeg's seat is too narrow for the bracket base, you could easily use some 2"x1/4" steel flat bar (found at most any hardware store), drill holes in the flat bar, mount that to the seat then drill/mount the flat bar to the Sparco seat bracket. Can be done with basic handtools (drill and a hacksaw).

It's MUCH easier to use pre-made seat bracket that is the correct height/width for your floor, as well as use the same bolt attachment points (i.e. bolt-in), THEN adapt the seat. I doubt seriously that you're going to find E36 seat bracket that's made for a Jeg's seat.

Regardless what you choose, please use grade 8 hardware.

mr. black
06-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks. I didn't expect to find a seat bracket that would mate the E36 with the JEGS, but I thought it would have to be custom. I am looking into the Wedge engineered seat brackets and now per your advice the Sparco. With the Wedge they'll make it to fit based on my measurements and the cost is about the same. The turnaround time might be another story. Thaks again for the advice. I need to get it all and installed before the 20th.

Greg Amy
06-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Hey, Mr. Black, ordered that seat yet? I've got a Jeg's seat I'll sell to you cheap...it's coming out this week for a better race seat install...

http://www.kakashiracing.com/images/suzuki/P1150519.JPG

mr. black
06-09-2009, 01:56 PM
I haven't bought the seat yet. I having a hard time getting a base. The Wedge ready to go base may not make here in time for me to install before the June 20th track day. So I might be trying the Sparco fabrication mentioned above. What did you use? What's it coming out of? How much?

Greg Amy
06-09-2009, 03:21 PM
What did you use? What's it coming out of? How much?

The seat has four small tabs hanging straight down off its base with holes. The prior owner/builder built a square-tube frame under it and used bolts through those tabs and the tubes.

Cheap, plus shipping.

http://www.kakashiracing.com/images/suzuki.html

mr. black
06-09-2009, 05:14 PM
After talking with about 8 different people, I decided to go with the Sparco/JEGS setup. The seat with a desinated back brace was under 100.00. A universal brace was more than the two combined. Sorry, but thanks. I will put the word out and keep you in mind if something changes. I'm good with mechanics, but we'll see about fabrication.