PDA

View Full Version : 1975 280Z triple Mikunis..

bn523`
06-06-2009, 10:58 AM
I've had a '75 280Z for years and have driven it in HPDE and stuff at Rockingham, VIR and a couple of other places. Now I'm ready to actually start racing.
I've always had the triple side draught carb on it but it came from Datun with FI. Is it legal to run in IT with the carbs or would that put me in another class?
thanks!

Tom Donnelly
06-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Gotta run the stock FI in IT. With the ECU open, that might not be a bad thing.

Ron Earp
06-06-2009, 12:47 PM
I'll second that - you'll be fine with the stock FI manifolds but take advantage of that open ECU rule.

240Zs and 260Zs must run the stock carbs. And most anyone on a Z forum will tell you that you can't make any horsepower with those unless you swap them out for webers or some other side drafts. But that isn't the case.

With the limitations on IT head prep and the fact you must use a stock cam, the aftermarket carbs are not needed. And in your case the stock fuel injection manifolds will flow enough for you.

Here in the SE we have 240Zs, 260Zs, 280Zs, and 280zxs running in ITS. You'll need to be north of 170 rear wheel hp to have a front running Z car nowadays plus very good suspension prep. What can legally be done with the cars is truly remarkable.

Any chance you'll be down at Rockingham at the end of the month? Welcome to the Z club! Jay Miller has a 280Z he runs in ITS and he'd be a good place to start with respect to the 280Z FI.