PDA

View Full Version : Honda Head Gasket

tcc1577
06-04-2009, 07:32 PM
I have an 89 Civic si with 1.6L motor. Blew a head gasket Saturday. I'd like some input on what may be considered the best brand of gasket to use as a replacement. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

quadzjr
06-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Honestly I a factory honda gasket will work just fine. They will also insure that the water ports are the right size (on a previous motor another brand blocked the majority of them). If you want to try to increase your compression you can run a thinner compressed gasket. I am a fan of MLS (multi-level-steel) gaskets.. Many compaines make them.. my favorite was cometic from back in the Nitrous and Boost days.

raffaelli
06-04-2009, 11:10 PM
I have an 89 Civic si with 1.6L motor. Blew a head gasket Saturday. I'd like some input on what may be considered the best brand of gasket to use as a replacement. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What happened? Overheat? Are you having the head decked?

I am in a similar situation. Having it decked, told to use the Felpro gasket because it is a bit thicker and easier to get compression across the entire gasket

Chip42
06-04-2009, 11:28 PM
if you are planning on running a stock-type gasket, take a look at the D16-Y8 part ('96-'00 EX) - it is readily available and thinner than most of the other iterations, so it will raise your CR a touch. use one of the many online calcs to roughly figure your compression based on machining you may have done.

factory all the way, felpro in a pinch, cometic if you have the dough.

bamfp
06-04-2009, 11:31 PM
If this is an ITA car then the thinner gaskets are not legal. Just run the stock gasket or a Fel-Bro. But make sure it is not the recall gasket if you get one from Honda.

tcc1577
06-05-2009, 08:09 AM
It did overheat. I will be having it shaved a bit. I've also heard goof things about the Fel-Pro and Cometic. I'm leaning toward Cometic but would still like to hear from some other people with more experience with this than I. Thanks

mc-integra111
06-05-2009, 08:44 AM
I have used factory, Fel-Pro, and Cometic without any issues on IT motors. The current motor is using a Fel-Pro.

Chip42
06-05-2009, 09:21 AM
If this is an ITA car then the thinner gaskets are not legal.

Missed that. seems odd given the CR increase limit and piston / head rules, but there it is in 9.1.3.D.o.

guess i've been playing with the prod car too much...

raffaelli
06-05-2009, 09:40 AM
It did overheat. I will be having it shaved a bit. I've also heard goof things about the Fel-Pro and Cometic. I'm leaning toward Cometic but would still like to hear from some other people with more experience with this than I. Thanks

What are you planning on for head bolts? Cant seem to locate ARP.

spnkzss
06-05-2009, 10:05 AM
What are you planning on for head bolts? Cant seem to locate ARP.

I studded my head the last time it was off.
ARP-208-4301 Summit Racing Part Number

quadzjr
06-05-2009, 10:46 AM
I studded my head the last time it was off.
ARP-208-4301 Summit Racing Part Number

Just curious did you use factory tq settings or did you use what ARP gave you?

Tom Blaney
06-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Guys

Why are you going through the ARP stud process? Stock head bolts are more than capable of holding the torque. Head studs normally are used when you start cranking up big compression changes etc.......

Headbolts can be reused once, and should be replaced during a new or rebuild.

Of coarse there will be dissenters so this is IMHO

quadzjr
06-05-2009, 12:03 PM
we will be running studs on our next prod car motor. The reason why I asked is because it says in capital letters in ARP instructiosn to not use factory tourques use theirs.. I torqued to factory.. and when I tried to increase to what ARP spelled out.. It pulled the threads right out of the block.

spnkzss
06-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Just curious did you use factory tq settings or did you use what ARP gave you?
ARP, and it was for simplicity reasons I used them.

mossaidis
06-05-2009, 01:52 PM
"o. Hardware items (nuts, bolts, etc.) may be replaced with similar items performing the same fastening function(s). Cylinder head gasket(s) may be replaced with any gasket(s) having the same compressed thickness as stock. Other engine gaskets are unrestricted. Engine drive belts may be replaced with others of equivalent OEM specifications."

Compression bumps should occur only when overboring up to .040" *and/or* shaving the head.