PDA

View Full Version : Kumho Victoracer

cjb25hs
05-19-2009, 08:49 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any experience running them in the dry at full tread?

joeg
05-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Lots of experience...

When I think the track will be damp and it dries out!

They do not wear horribly but are not fast in the dry at full thread.

Overall, about the best intermediate rain tire I have ever used. Very "comfortable" tire--they ride on the soft side.

JLawton
05-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Way back when I used to run them at full tread......... Lasted a whole season!!

But then again, I was slow as hell!!!

madrabbit15
05-19-2009, 05:28 PM
I was doing some testing a few weeks back at CMP in an ITA CRX.

We had some victoracers that were about 4 years old, (after a couple of years who is even still counting), had been full tread but had been run a couple of times, but there really was not much wear on them at all. They came with the car when we bought it. We decided to throw them on for a session and see what happened.....

Well......... we actually ran about .5 secs faster on the victoracers than hoosier R6s that had 4 heat cycles on them. :blink: Now the hoosiers were much easier to drive fast and felt much better, but if you were really able to "get up on the wheel" the victoracers were definitely faster.

I am pretty sure we will be running that "special set of tires" this weekend too. :rolleyes:

We experienced the same thing few year back with another car as well.

I have never bought any personally, but, I would never tell anyone not to as everytime we have used them, the performed much better then expected and actually as fast or faster than "the tire to have" everytime we tested back to back.

If the car you are using them on is light, I would give it a try.

Derek Ketchie

SATURNRACER
05-19-2009, 07:26 PM
They are great in the rain if the track goes dry find water...they will burn fast I have had the same set for five years and still have a ton of life left..
I have been on them at four times in hevy rain and once very light rain.

Very predictable tire.

RedMisted
05-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Well......... we actually ran about .5 secs faster on the victoracers than hoosier R6s that had 4 heat cycles on them. :blink: Now the hoosiers were much easier to drive fast and felt much better, but if you were really able to "get up on the wheel" the victoracers were definitely faster.

Are you serious? I'm a Toyo/Nitto user looking to make a switch. EVERYONE is telling me to go w/ the R6.

This is blowing my mind...Esp. after I read a tire review in an issue of Grassroots Motorsports that said the Nitto NT-01 is slightly faster than the R6!:eek:

madrabbit15
05-20-2009, 09:10 AM
We have bought some Nittos but we have not tested them yet.

My first set of tires for my ITR car will be nittos too, based on input I have gotten from several experienced sources.

As for the victoracer, I am dead serious, we could not believe it ourselves. Pretty interesting, especially since they were sooooo old, with almost full tread. Again we just did it for gits and shiggles to see what would happen we never expected that. And we are not talking about a forgiving track either. CMP is probably the hardest track on tires that I am currently aware of, there is a ton of sharp aggregate in the pavement.

Like I said earlier, were are going to run the victors this weekend at CMP one day and we are going to run R6s the next. I will report back on Monday.

Derek Ketchie

joeg
05-20-2009, 10:33 AM
YMMV, but I have done many back-to-backs between the Victoracer and the Hoosier (having been caught out on the Victoracer in the dry) and the Kumho is consistently a second and a half slower than the Hoosier R6 in the dry.

They are simply tires with different purposes...

RedMisted
05-20-2009, 01:04 PM
YMMV, but I have done many back-to-backs between the Victoracer and the Hoosier (having been caught out on the Victoracer in the dry) and the Kumho is consistently a second and a half slower than the Hoosier R6 in the dry.

But if you shaved the Vics how much slower do you think you'd be, then? (I'm assuming you're running the Vics at/near 6/32tread depth...

RedMisted
05-20-2009, 01:10 PM
As for the victoracer, I am dead serious, we could not believe it ourselves. Pretty interesting, especially since they were sooooo old, with almost full tread. Again we just did it for gits and shiggles to see what would happen we never expected that. And we are not talking about a forgiving track either. CMP is probably the hardest track on tires that I am currently aware of, there is a ton of sharp aggregate in the pavement.

Like I said earlier, were are going to run the victors this weekend at CMP one day and we are going to run R6s the next. I will report back on Monday.

Derek Ketchie

Derek,
Are you sure you are comparing the same tire size with the two brands? Sizing differences will have an impact on gearing and thus lap times.
I'd be very interested to hear your report on Monday. May be the R6 really isn't THAT much to scream about...Esp. given it's high price...
Thanks,
Chris

joeg
05-20-2009, 01:20 PM
3/4 seconds slower shaved.

I would not buy those (shaved or unshaved) as a primary tire.

madrabbit15
05-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Same tire size, same day, 1 hour apart, same conditions.

Like I said, I have never bought any and I am not sure I would. I prefer the 710 to most other DOT tires currently available.

But I will say I experienced the same thing with old victors several years back in an ITB GTI. Hoosiers have always been much easier to drive quickly on, and they give you a secure feeling that most other DOT tires do not.

madrabbit15
05-26-2009, 10:07 AM
The weather was inconsistent at best this past weekend at CMP, so there was no way to do an accurate comparison.

Of what we did run, between the victo and the r6, the times were pretty much the. We will have to make the comparison another weekend. Will update when we do that.

I am confident the r6 is a faster tire, my experience with the victo just makes me think that the victo is not nearly as far off as most assume, especially under certain track conditons.

JimW337
05-27-2009, 01:03 PM
This past weekend at CMP I was running 2:02's on the V710's on Saturday, then switched to the Victoracers Sun morning for the rain and in the afternoon in the dry I did 2:01's.

The V710's are almost a year old and this is like the 4th/5th race weekend.
The V700's are at least 3 years old and have way too many race weekends to count.

I love the Victoracer and will buy again as soon as the old one's are worn out, in about 3 more years.

JimW