PDA

View Full Version : Forced air vs non forced air

LIRacer
05-16-2009, 02:40 PM
My helmet is a simpson speedway vudo, which has great ventilation. In an SRF, it actually gets quite windy inside. But as I am transitioning to a closed car, I am considering a forced air helmet. Am I wasting my money?

TomL
05-16-2009, 03:23 PM
It depends. If you are just going to run a blower to it, probably , yes. I've never been able to tell any real difference between uncooled, forced air and just leaving the shield up. However, if you run in the serious heat of summer, you may want a cool suit and cool air. Then it is absolutely what you want to do. For me after a race, it means the difference between lying down in the shade, wrapped in wet towels and walking around like nothing happened. Of course, I'm in SEDiv, so YMMV in Nu Yawk. (I'm also not the sveltest driver either.) Just remember, you get very little circulation in a closed car, particularly compared to an SRF.

dickita15
05-16-2009, 04:10 PM
I used a forced air with just a blower mainly because I am susceptible to fumes, however while I do not feel much air flow I know in a minute or two if I have not switched on the blower.

LIRacer
05-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Concerning a cool suit, does the undershirt go under the nomex underwaer? Or is it better to get carbovx cool suit. What is the Cool suit of choice?

TomL
05-17-2009, 04:13 PM
You definitely want to put the cool shirt directly on your skin. Using the carbonX shirt would be no more effective than a tee shirt version and nomex, but it would reduce the bulk.

As far as systems, I think any of the commercial systems work fine. I use a Cool Suit shirt and a homemade chest /pump/blower system (I'm cheap/thrifty). But it's not quite as neat as a professionally made setup.