PDA

View Full Version : CV Replacement and Grease Temp

Duc
05-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Ok calling all FWDs. In the process of rebuilding the CVs on the Celica (torn boot), my crew chief (friend), found that the outer left CV is shot. The question is in buying a new set, should we tear them down to but high temp CV grease in, or not? Or should I just save the time and do it next rebuild?

Bear in mind that the car has not fully proven itself to what is a wear item, and these axles are apt to be original.

Thanks

Derek

Greg Amy
05-16-2009, 07:36 AM
Regardless of what you do, don't just drop in "high temperature grease" (I'm inferring you're thinking of dropping in just some ole ordinary chassis grease or multipurpose grease). Different greases have different purposes (my airplane, for example, uses three different kinds), and high-temp bearing/chassis grease is NOT appropriate for CV joints. You'll want to use the proper molybdenum grease, designed for CV joints.

Also, make sure to use the proper amount. A lot of folks tend to think that if a little is good, a lot is better; not so. Too much will cause too much expansion and can blow out the boot.

To your question directly: I suggest the answer to that depends on the source for the shaft assembly. If you buy OEM, or buy a good rebuild from a reputable company (e.g., Empi, OEM supplier, or a RAXLES rebuild) then you're fine bolting on and going. But, if you're buying a potentially cheaper-made one from, say, Pep Boys, then I suggest you're better off having your guy pull them apart and repacking.

As an aside, it's always a good idea with a CV-joint-equipped car to carry with you a handful of CV joint bands, the right grease, some really good duct tape, and the appropriate band tool. Loosing a band or a boot can ruin a weekend, and quick-fixes can get you through Sunday.

Greg

924Guy
05-16-2009, 08:31 AM
As for the grease to use, naturally Redline does make some great stuff; however I've run Valvoline Synthetic for quite some time too... admittedly my car is easier on CV's than a FWD... anyway I really like the Valvoline stuff, as it's readily available at local parts stores (unlike Redline), less expensive, and I can stock it to handle most all lubrication on my car (unlike Mobil1, which is NFG for CVs)...

Duc
05-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Thanks, by High Temp grease, I was talking about Redline CV Grease. My buddy is an ex-mechanic which is why I would rather him do the re-packing.

As for OEM that is the problem. OEM axles are outrageously expensive (300 a side, about 250 my cost), though a co-worker's GTI axles from VW was 600 a side. So I am looking for the cheaper option ($60 an axle).

D

Greg Amy
05-16-2009, 10:18 AM
So I am looking for the cheaper option ($60 an axle).
http://www.alloemautoparts.com <-- $105 a side for the left one (right side apparently not available). I've bought EMPIs from them for the street car and quality, from an external point, was very good.

http://www.raxles.com/ <-- They'll rebuild yours using quality parts, GOTTA be significantly less than OEM prices, and you ain't gotta re-pack...

trhoppe
05-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Raxles is going to be your best bet for ones that last a long damn time. They are $300 for the pair and will be good to go.

Having said that, since the Integras tend to break them sometimes, I opted for the $60 "brand new" Oreilly axles. Got 8 races so far on the ones in the car, and I figured I'd replace them as wear items in another 4 or so. That way I always have pretty new axles in the car and only costs me $10 a race ($120 for 2/12 races)

-Tom

Andy Bettencourt
05-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Jus from a racing perspective, I would by some RAXLES and then rebuild yours at your leisure. Then you will have a set of emergency spares when you need them to keep going one weekend.

Rabbit07
05-16-2009, 01:42 PM
GKN Motorsport Grease Optimal XB-T1LF

Duc
05-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Raxles is going to be your best bet for ones that last a long damn time. They are $300 for the pair and will be good to go.

Just got the quote from Marty at Raxles, 174 a side.

Duc
05-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Alright, must say that I have found my solution. I ran across Gator Axles (http://www.gatorracingaxles.com/)on one of the Honda forums. Two advantages, first they are local in Central Florida, second see number one. Went by their shop the today, quite knowledgeable guys. They are already doing quite a few of the local race shops axles.

Since I am running short on funds, I am going to rebuild mine for now (had them give them a thumbs up for a single race). Then next month I am going to get a primary set from Gator.

Thanks for the input.

Derek