PDA

View Full Version : Remote oil filter and cooler?

pitbull113
05-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Pretty sure the answer is yes to the filter but not the cooler but I figured I'd check with the rules experts. Are they legal yes or no?

shwah
05-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Absolutely yes for the cooler.
Definitely yes for the filter.
ITCS D.3.b
ITCS D.1.h

pitbull113
05-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks for your response. Now for the 64,000 dollar question..... Is it needed on the mazda BP engine? I know there are alot of Miata drivers out there. Are you guys running oil coolers?

Prof. Chaos
05-14-2009, 06:37 PM
I run a remote oil cooler and filter on my '96 Miata. I installed it years ago when the car was a street car and I did track days. At one event I cooked the fossil oil (smoke was coming from the motor), so I moved to good synthetic oil along with installing the cooler. Since then I've never, ever, ever had a problem.

It's probably not needed, though, as the Spec Miatas don't have oil coolers and I've never heard of them complaining about it. I think my problem was running Pennzoil fossil crap on the track during a really hot day.

MMiskoe
05-14-2009, 08:38 PM
It's probably not needed, though, as the Spec Miatas don't have oil coolers and I've never heard of them complaining about it

Ignorance is bliss. We put a sending unit in the pan on our '95 when it was running ITS. Holy crap! Never saw less than 245-250. So we put in a modest size cooler and ducting, now it runs in the 240 range. Still sort of high, but not as bad.

My theory is that those cars are marginal for cooling, there is nothing extra in the system. Any disruption in the ducting, radiator degredation, having an air bubble etc will lead to problems. The oil cooler can't hurt.

Ron Earp
05-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Yes to both. Use a cooler.

I used to see temps in the Z of 260F in the first few laps of a race and as high as 285F at the end of the race. Put in a real oil cooler (MoCal) and oil thermostat, now I see temps around 190-200F no matter what, perfect in my opinion.

FWIW I always use cheap dino lube, Castrol is my favorite but I'll take whatever is slippery and on sale. And I don't change it much either.

pitbull113
05-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks again for the resposes.

iambhooper
05-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Yes to both. Use a cooler.

FWIW I always use cheap dino lube, Castrol is my favorite but I'll take whatever is slippery and on sale. And I don't change it much either.

Ron, your killing me! Man, I change the Honda out before every race... fresh 15-50 Mobile synthetic and a filter. For break in, now Supertec Wallyworld oil is ok.

I run a cooler, and don't use a temp sensor. I have one on the shelf, just never got around to installing it.

hoop

tom_sprecher
05-16-2009, 05:19 PM
With my cooler setup I rarely see oil temps above 200-210. I use synthetic and don't change it much either. I'll get 10 races out of it before I do. I figure the real nasty part of the oiling system is taken care of by pre-mix.

The stuff on the dip stick always looks, feels and smells new. No, I don't taste it. ;)

Ron Earp
05-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Ron, your killing me! Man, I change the Honda out before every race... fresh 15-50 Mobile synthetic and a filter. For break in, now Supertec Wallyworld oil is ok.

Dude, that is expensive! Z holds 2 gallons of oil.

Oh, did I mention when I tore it down for a refreshening at 63 hours the bearings looked beautiful? Even got some pictures around here I think.

Hey, to each his on with oil management. Everyone has an opinion on it and there is more lore/myth circulating on on oil than there is about bigfoot. I know what works for me.

Now back when I used to run those high temps I changed it a lot and often!!!

Ron

iambhooper
05-16-2009, 11:35 PM
I guess everyone does what they do. I've changed it out before every race and never had an engine failure in the Honda but once... I had an hole in the pan from the gator strip at 8 and starved a bearing.

Ron Earp
05-17-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm just giving you a hard time so you'll come race Z's with us in ITS!!

Yep, I agree and there isn't any one right way. You ought to hook up that oil temp gauge though just so you know what you're dealing with.

I thought I read that ITB was so economical that ITB racers actually made money to race? Now you're in ITB you should be living large!!! :)

iambhooper
05-17-2009, 09:03 AM
I'm just giving you a hard time so you'll come race Z's with us in ITS!!

Yep, I agree and there isn't any one right way. You ought to hook up that oil temp gauge though just so you know what you're dealing with.

I thought I read that ITB was so economical that ITB racers actually made money to race? Now you're in ITB you should be living large!!! :)

I wish that were true. There was the cost of conversion, plus the extra fuel that the car burns, and since I'm now carrying higher speeds, brake pads probably won't last me 12 weekends!

Z car, huh?... those things got fuel injection, or are you dealing with carbs? you know what they say... "once you've gone PGFI you'll never go back!"

Ron Earp
05-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Z car, huh?... those things got fuel injection, or are you dealing with carbs? you know what they say... "once you've gone PGFI you'll never go back!"

Let's put it like this - the most sophisticated piece of electronic equipment on my Z car is the $1.99 timer that is velcroed to the steering wheel.

x-ring
05-19-2009, 09:04 AM
:026::026:

Lmao....

lateapex911
05-19-2009, 12:21 PM
I guess everyone does what they do.

And no matter where you go, there you are!

Ron Earp
05-19-2009, 12:41 PM

True and I think I'll start lobbying for a carb allowance. You guys have it easier in the paddock and have less work to do tuning the car. Therefore your are fresher for the race start, aren't covered in oil and grease and don't smell like gas. Definitely a disadvantage racing all nasty and tired.

iambhooper
05-19-2009, 08:29 PM
True and I think I'll start lobbying for a carb allowance. You guys have it easier in the paddock and have less work to do tuning the car. Therefore your are fresher for the race start, aren't covered in oil and grease and don't smell like gas. Definitely a disadvantage racing all nasty and tired.

Yep, I'm sure Jeff can tell us all about the fuel injected advantage! :D