PDA

View Full Version : Mid Ohio National & Restricted Regional

R2 Racing
05-09-2009, 09:41 AM
May 30th & 31st. Who's coming?

My new FP Integra will be turning it's wheels at Mid Ohio for the first time. I think we're also going to be having our two ITC cars there with rental drivers. Should be fun!

dj10
05-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Not me.

jumbojimbo
05-09-2009, 04:20 PM
About 75% I'll be there in ITC. Depends on if I do anything expensive at Nelson or use up my tires. And it's hard to get kitchen passes 3 out of 5 weekends in May.

You should come by and make clucking noises about how you could get some more speed with a couple of hours of timing and carb work.

jay05
05-10-2009, 10:33 AM
82.3% sure I'll be there. Pending any carnage at NL this coming weekend.

R2 Racing
05-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Jay & Jim, I saw that you guys have something like 8 ITC cars signed up for Nelson next weekend. That's awesome. With my two guys possibly coming to Mid Ohio, hopefully you'll be getting another big field there too.

ITA_honda
05-11-2009, 09:07 AM
I might be there working, but not running. The following weekend im making the trek to BeaveRun to get some Kryderacing points.
Good luck with the FP integra.
that thing is gunna be fast as hell bro!

jay05
05-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Jay & Jim, I saw that you guys have something like 8 ITC cars signed up for Nelson next weekend. That's awesome. With my two guys possibly coming to Mid Ohio, hopefully you'll be getting another big field there too.
Recession=Big ITC fields.

ITA_honda
05-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Recession=Big ITC fields.

other than finding parts for cars as old as ours, ITC is the way to go cost wise!:happy204:

boywonder
05-11-2009, 11:26 AM
92.6% chance I'll be there. Like Jim - it all depends on if I screw something bad up this weekend at Nelson, like tires.

jay05
05-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Sent my registration in today. Anyone... Anyone...

ITA_honda
05-20-2009, 09:19 AM

Sorry Jay, I wont be running man. Im doing Beaverun right the following weekend. But if everything goes right Ill be working grid for that event. Then I can swing by your paddock after the races have ended and watch your in car camera LOL.

boywonder
05-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Filled out the form and it will go out with the mail tomorrow!

R2 Racing
05-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Looks like both Robert Lawrence and Corey Parrish will be there in our ITC cars. Should be another great ITC field!

I'll still be there in my new FP Integra.

RedMisted
05-21-2009, 01:44 AM
Not me.

And not me. Apparently, Ohio Valley Region doesn't want any ITR cars around their parts at this time of year.

And go figure...Car counts down everywhere due to the weak economy and regions trying to find ways to break even... What is OVR thinking????

Methinks I'll tell OVR to go stick it with their fall races at M-O (when they'll let ITRs come to play in their backyard) and instead head to the Glen....

ITA_honda
05-21-2009, 08:05 AM
And not me. Apparently, Ohio Valley Region doesn't want any ITR cars around their parts at this time of year.

And go figure...Car counts down everywhere due to the weak economy and regions trying to find ways to break even... What is OVR thinking????

Methinks I'll tell OVR to go stick it with their fall races at M-O (when they'll let ITRs come to play in their backyard) and instead head to the Glen....

The Glen eh??? That will be a good tow!:blink:

R2 Racing
05-21-2009, 09:31 AM
The Glen eh??? That will be a good tow!:blink:
From NEOhio? That'll be like 4.5-5 hours. Big deal. I'll probably be making five tows this year of eight or more.:shrug:

downingracing
05-21-2009, 09:34 AM

This is a restricted regoinal with only a few 'regional' classes invited. I'm sorry you don't agree with the decisions that were made about what classes to allow. Being a restricted regional - there will always be 'some' regoinal classes/drivers left out.

Car counts down everywhere? Care to provide any backup to that statement? The car counts I've been tracking have been on-track with last year and some have been higher. This is a national race weekend and a restricted regional was added when the run-offs moved from Mid-Ohio. OVR is doing everything they can to ensure that the races run at Mid-Ohio are a success.

Sorry you will miss out on 2 of the best race weekends in the country at one of the premier race facilities because of a RESTRICTED REGIONAL that your class wasn't included in. OVR picked up another race weekend to allow regional drivers another chance to race at this great facility. The Glen is a great facility and the regions up there put on top-notch events as well - I'm sure you will have a blast running there.

ITA_honda
05-21-2009, 09:36 AM
From NEOhio? That'll be like 4.5-5 hours. Big deal. I'll probably be making five tows this year of eight or more.:shrug:

Kevin - this is coming from someone who races in state, and a few times at beaveRun. I cant get off work that often to travel all over the place!

ITA_honda
05-21-2009, 09:50 AM
I know some drivers are upset about classes and regions. And to some point it very well may be unfair limiting classes, BUT we all have to be thankful we have 3 good tracks right in our backyard (for us in Ohio and PA which would be Nelson Ledges, Mid-Ohio, and Beaverun)

We can get to them very easily and each track hosts a number of regional events each year. So if one track doesnt have a class, go to the next one.

Lets not get mad at everyone. Pointing fingers in one direction or the other. We're all in this together, as a club. Lets make the best of it.
(I know i may sound like a hippe from the 70's talking about getting along) But thats just my opinion.

RedMisted
05-21-2009, 09:53 AM
This is a restricted regoinal with only a few 'regional' classes invited. I'm sorry you don't agree with the decisions that were made about what classes to allow. Being a restricted regional - there will always be 'some' regoinal classes/drivers left out.

Car counts down everywhere? Care to provide any backup to that statement? The car counts I've been tracking have been on-track with last year and some have been higher. This is a national race weekend and a restricted regional was added when the run-offs moved from Mid-Ohio. OVR is doing everything they can to ensure that the races run at Mid-Ohio are a success.

Sorry you will miss out on 2 of the best race weekends in the country at one of the premier race facilities because of a RESTRICTED REGIONAL that your class wasn't included in. OVR picked up another race weekend to allow regional drivers another chance to race at this great facility. The Glen is a great facility and the regions up there put on top-notch events as well - I'm sure you will have a blast running there.

ITR IS an accepted IT class and in my mind SHOULD be included. Matt Miller (#7 ITS RX7, Mahoning Valley Region) made valid arguments for inclusion and I'm NOT going to repeat them here.

Okay, maybe in your case the upcoming weekend at M-O will be a success, and I wish you well. But still, wouldn't you like the money that perhaps 3-4 ITR cars will bring? Wouldn't that be over a grand??? Who doesn't want a grand??? And wouldn't some of that money offset any possible shortfalls that may occur with the staging of the fall races??

I'll go to the Glen regardless. But this bull about no ITR at the May M-O races for THREE YEARS NOW doesn't help whet my appetite to go back there with OVR.

RedMisted
05-21-2009, 10:13 AM
I know some drivers are upset about classes and regions. And to some point it very well may be unfair limiting classes, BUT we all have to be thankful we have 3 good tracks right in our backyard (for us in Ohio and PA which would be Nelson Ledges, Mid-Ohio, and Beaverun)

We can get to them very easily and each track hosts a number of regional events each year. So if one track doesnt have a class, go to the next one.

Lets not get mad at everyone. Pointing fingers in one direction or the other. We're all in this together, as a club. Lets make the best of it.
(I know i may sound like a hippe from the 70's talking about getting along) But thats just my opinion.

Sorry, Greg. But sometimes in families we have disagreements. And nothing ever gets put in the right if the affected party just sits idly and doesn't ruffle feathers from time to time...

dj10
05-21-2009, 10:59 AM
I think they should ban ITC cars for being to slow. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

ITA_honda
05-21-2009, 11:18 AM
I think they should ban ITC cars for being to slow. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

just because you have a BMW.....:D:eclipsee_steering: jk

jay05
05-21-2009, 11:46 AM
So... at the last regional at the Ledges there were 8 C cars and 1 R car. That's 8 times the amount of R cars. That's good for the gander?

jay05
05-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Will an X1/9 be there?

ITA_honda
05-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Will an X1/9 be there?

Fix It Again Tony!

spdmonkey
05-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Chris,
Sorry you won't be coming. The Chief Steward is the person that ultimately makes decisions on grouping and the *potential* of a full bore ITR car is too much to run with ITC. Invariably one group will complain and want a split start which throws them further behind and ITC ends up getting 3 or 4 less laps to run. Is that fair? As it is they lose a lap or 2 to ITS. If 1 top gun ITR shows up it screws a lot of drivers. When ITR has the numbers in this division maybe it will tilt the scale and ITC will get dropped. The point of this weekend which Matt pointed out is to give REGIONAL drivers a chance to run M-O.

Sorry you might miss our double regionals. We took that extra date to give REGIONAL drivers an extra date in GLDiv. As chairman of the Champ Series I can assure you that dates have been going DOWN over the last 4 years and the trend could continue as ORP and Bluegrass are ????. We all make choices. We made ours. Its time for you to make yours. I hope you will join us in September and October. Thats 4 races at one of the best tracks in the country.

Dave Brown
OVR-SCCA RE
GLDiv Regional Champ Series Chairman

dj10
05-21-2009, 01:43 PM
just because you have a BMW.....:D:eclipsee_steering: jk

........Doesn't mean it's fast.:cool:

ITA_honda
05-21-2009, 01:49 PM
........Doesn't mean it's fast.:cool:

...sure...:eclipsee_steering:

RedMisted
05-21-2009, 01:55 PM
The Chief Steward is the person that ultimately makes decisions on grouping and the *potential* of a full bore ITR car is too much to run with ITC. Invariably one group will complain and want a split start which throws them further behind and ITC ends up getting 3 or 4 less laps to run. Is that fair? As it is they lose a lap or 2 to ITS. If 1 top gun ITR shows up it screws a lot of drivers. When ITR has the numbers in this division maybe it will tilt the scale and ITC will get dropped. The point of this weekend which Matt pointed out is to give REGIONAL drivers a chance to run M-O.

And this is the same region that once grouped GT-1 with ITS and currently has E Production matched with the former?

dj10
05-21-2009, 02:38 PM
And this is the same region that once grouped GT-1 with ITS and currently has E Production matched with the former?

Chris,
You brought up a very good point. The jerk that knocked me off the track last year in Oct. was in a GT1 car......they should be over 14 to 16 seconds faster than the fastest of ITR cars. What's the ITC's times around MO? I just found my sheet fro the OVR regional in Oct. and you are right, ITSS was there and betweren the slowest and fastest cars there were 19 seconds.

jumbojimbo
05-21-2009, 05:40 PM
:dead_horse:

Unless you can find some way to travel into the past.

jumbojimbo
05-23-2009, 10:25 AM

The check is in the mail. :eclipsee_steering:

One last test, we're going to autocross it tomorrow and make sure nothing blows up. If that goes well I'll be there.

Most likely I won't spend the night. It makes points with my wife if I can be home overnight. Plus I don't have to leave for the track until noon on Sunday. I can get the lawn mowed.

jay05
05-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Good stuff. Looks like at least 5. Haven't heard from Jim R. Hopefully the axle is sorted.

StephenB
05-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Chris,
Sorry you won't be coming. The Chief Steward is the person that ultimately makes decisions on grouping and the *potential* of a full bore ITR car is too much to run with ITC. Invariably one group will complain and want a split start which throws them further behind and ITC ends up getting 3 or 4 less laps to run. Is that fair? As it is they lose a lap or 2 to ITS. If 1 top gun ITR shows up it screws a lot of drivers. When ITR has the numbers in this division maybe it will tilt the scale and ITC will get dropped. The point of this weekend which Matt pointed out is to give REGIONAL drivers a chance to run M-O.

Dave Brown
OVR-SCCA RE
GLDiv Regional Champ Series Chairman

if you are concerned about ITC cars and track time...
Here is another solution that I think makes more sence for the MEMBERS and for the region that has bills to pay... run ALL IT cars including ITR and make it a timed race instead of a lap count.

Just my .02 from an outsider that has nothing to gain or loose as I am not running any events at your track... although I LOVE your track and wich it wasn't a 14 hr tow for me :( I just feel bad for the ITR cars that are being built.

Stephen

jumbojimbo
05-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Good stuff. Looks like at least 5. Haven't heard from Jim R. Hopefully the axle is sorted.

I'm definitely coming. car ran well at the autocross. Makes you appreciate online registration. There are either two of us or five, won't know until you get to grid for qualifying. This is my last race until IT-Fest and I heard you are scared to dent a rear fender so watch out...

xr4racer
05-25-2009, 12:06 AM
What is the difference between a timed and lap count race, the C's will still be lapped and lose mileage on the track.

matt

RedMisted
05-25-2009, 05:52 PM
What is the difference between a timed and lap count race, the C's will still be lapped and lose mileage on the track.

matt

I guess the idea is to take the assumed time difference of a race run with ITS cars and one run with the faster ITR cars and add that time, in laps, to the number of laps originally scheduled. In this way, time on track remains roughly the same for all cars originally classed and the ITRs get to race.

StephenB
05-25-2009, 10:30 PM
I guess the idea is to take the assumed time difference of a race run with ITS cars and one run with the faster ITR cars and add that time, in laps, to the number of laps originally scheduled. In this way, time on track remains roughly the same for all cars originally classed and the ITRs get to race.

Yup exactly. All racers either fast or slow (FA, GT1, FF, T1, ITR, and ITC are all examples of cars that run drastic different lap times and get drastically different on track time to race) They all pay the same entry fee to help the region rent the track for a period of time, say 8AM until 6PM. So instead of doing races that are say 15 laps have all the races 30 minutes. This way each driver gets the same $$ value for track time regardless on how fast they can go. This possibly makes the scheduling easier by being "fixed" (unless unforseen incidents happen... for example a major reck that takes an extended time to clean up, or a passing thunderstorm). Everyone then needs to make sure they are good on track so they can try and get the most laps in and the most "green flag" racing as possible.

Sorry to but into another region as an outsider it's just an idea I've always thought we should do to help solve the problems listed above and help the region get the most value for the members for the time period they rented the track. The track doesn't give a discount back if you end early, they charge a rental for a period of time not a certain # of laps.

Stephen

jay05
05-26-2009, 08:36 PM
I heard you are scared to dent a rear fender so watch out...
Don't come near my precious quarter.:eek:

ITA_honda
05-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Don't come near my precious quarter.:eek:

Remember, Jay's car has 600,000+ miles on it. No hitting it please!:D LOL:eclipsee_steering:

RedMisted
05-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Remember, Jay's car has 600,000+ miles on it. No hitting it please!:D LOL:eclipsee_steering:

Racing miles? :eek:

When a racing car's been around for so long and done very well it becomes like a museum piece--no one wants to hit it. Kinda reminds me of a certain hockey player who was the only one not to be checked in the latter part of his career. His name is Wayne Gretzky, and no wonder he scored something like 871,000 goals! :D

ITA_honda
05-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Racing miles? :eek:

When a racing car's been around for so long and done very well it becomes like a museum piece--no one wants to hit it. Kinda reminds me of a certain hockey player who was the only one not to be checked in the latter part of his career. His name is Wayne Gretzky, and no wonder he scored something like 871,000 goals! :D

Chris - its an inside joke. I guess Jay's brother drove the car back in the day. and when it hit 100,000 miles the odometer went in 10,000 mile incriments LOL. haha.
I couldnt believe it either when i saw it LOL

RedMisted
05-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Chris - its an inside joke.

Of course. But even IF it did have 600K miles, it wouldn't have an original part left on it. So much for the museum piece thing! :D

Hey Greg...I guess I'll be bumping into ya at Steel Cities next weekend. They have the ITR cars grouped with the ITAs. Should be interesting mix with the ITE and ITS cars also included. (As I understand, Dr. Dan will have his balls-out 500hp ITE Firebird on track with us. Should be a scream racing with him in such tight quarters!)

jay05
05-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Chris - its an inside joke. I guess Jay's brother drove the car back in the day. and when it hit 100,000 miles the odometer went in 10,000 mile incriments LOL. haha.
I couldnt believe it either when i saw it LOL

It went by 10 mile increments.

ITA_honda
05-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Of course. But even IF it did have 600K miles, it wouldn't have an original part left on it. So much for the museum piece thing! :D

Hey Greg...I guess I'll be bumping into ya at Steel Cities next weekend. They have the ITR cars grouped with the ITAs. Should be interesting mix with the ITE and ITS cars also included. (As I understand, Dr. Dan will have his balls-out 500hp ITE Firebird on track with us. Should be a scream racing with him in such tight quarters!)

Ahh crap. 23 lap races on Saturday. So he'll only lap us...what...maybe 13 times. HAHAH.
I cant wait to run Beaverun. And Dr. Dan is awesome so we can all hang out in-between sessions or whatnot

ITA_honda
05-28-2009, 09:51 AM
It went by 10 mile increments.

ahh 10.....10,000 same thing LOL NOT!
hey jay, you coming up to Beaverun to play?

boywonder
05-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Ugh, is it time to race yet? The work week just seems to drag on and on and on.
This whole racing thing seems to be a double-edged sword in regards to work; on one hand I can't focus at work because all I'm thinking about is racing, but on the other hand I now find myself actively and continually looking for work (I'm a self-employed animation/design consultant) so that I can continue to afford to race.

I think I'm officially an addict. :blink:

ITA_honda
05-28-2009, 02:11 PM
This whole racing thing seems to be a double-edged sword in regards to work; on one hand I can't focus at work because all I'm thinking about is racing, but on the other hand I now find myself actively and continually looking for work (I'm a self-employed animation/design consultant) so that I can continue to afford to race.

same here man. I always want to go racing also but find myself always on a slim budget. (who doesnt??):shrug:

And ofcourse the work week always drags on...especially like this past Monday (Memorial day) usually there are 5 days to get work done, but now there are only 4 days this week to get 5 days worth of work done.:blink:

but we all gotta keep our jobs if we want to play on the weekends...:eclipsee_steering:

RedMisted
05-28-2009, 03:19 PM

Welcome to the addiction! There is no known cure. I find that when I'm in the car whatever that may be going wrong in my life is merely forgotten. :eclipsee_steering: I'm living the moment and nothing else matters.

jay05
05-28-2009, 08:25 PM
ahh 10.....10,000 same thing LOL NOT!
hey jay, you coming up to Beaverun to play?
No Beaverun for me. the house chores have been neglected for too long. Now it's time to dump cash into the other money pit. Anyone know of a 4 car garaged condo anywhere? Plus, I have a bachelor party to attend. I'll see you at the end of June at NL.

ITA_honda
05-29-2009, 08:51 AM
No Beaverun for me. the house chores have been neglected for too long. Now it's time to dump cash into the other money pit. Anyone know of a 4 car garaged condo anywhere? Plus, I have a bachelor party to attend. I'll see you at the end of June at NL.

My old house in Columbia Station had a 4 car garage.
I miss that....:(

ITA_honda
05-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Welcome to the addiction! There is no known cure. I find that when I'm in the car whatever that may be going wrong in my life is merely forgotten. :eclipsee_steering: I'm living the moment and nothing else matters.

you're quite right. I forget about everything too when im in the car....but when the race ends everything is still the same.

Just like drinking when you have a problem...it may go away temporarily, but its still there when you sober up..

I prefer racing than drinking when I have a problem haha

R2 Racing
05-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Hell yeah:
Friday - Mostly Sunny, 72°/50°, 10%
Saturday - Partly Cloudy, 72°/51°, 20%
Sunday - Partly Cloudy, 74°/57°, 10%

Should be there around 2pm, and will be running the Twilight Test & Tune tonight. See you guys there.

R2 Racing
06-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Mylaps?

datadude
06-08-2009, 10:16 AM
I would suggest contacting OVR about geting their chief to post. The upload needs to be done with the full AMB orbits data for the weekend and needs to be done from the Orbits software.

spdmonkey
06-08-2009, 07:35 PM
If only it was that easy for the rest of us....
Some of us are trying.

Dave Brown
OVR-SCCA, RE

datadude
06-17-2009, 06:07 PM
All sessions have been posted to Mylaps. Search through Neohio and you will find it. It is listed as one event.