PDA

View Full Version : World's spazziest video guy seeks advice

ulfelder
04-30-2009, 03:57 PM
I gave up on in-car video a few years back, but am determined to try again.* I seem to recall being advised to turn autofocus off. Does that sound right? The cam is an old-school Sony HandyCam using Hi8.

Steve Ulfelder
Flatout Motorsports
NER
05 ITS

* My poor kids will never get to see vids of their birthdays and Christmas. I screw things up every time. :shrug:

Andy Bettencourt
04-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Steve, we sould figure something out as an FOM standard. Go-Pro and Chase Cams look good. There are a few options actually designed for this stuff...Tom Hoppe just posted some sweet video from RR.

And yes, NO auto-focus.

ulfelder
04-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Steve, we sould figure something out as an FOM standard.

Yup. My next ride will have whatever kick-ass system we opt for built in right from the start.

erlrich
04-30-2009, 04:30 PM
I also use a Handycam (mini-DV) with an I/O Port mount, and have been very happy with the video quality. Auto-focus and steadycam both turned off, focus set to max distance.

Gary L
04-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Interesting... I had never thought about auto-focus, just checked to see if mine is turned off or not. It isn't, but I've never had an out-of-focus video. I would say the necessity would be partially dependent upon the camera (lens qualities and focus weighting) as well as framing. Having said all that, I just turned my auto-focus OFF. :)

FWIW, I use a Samsung SC-HMX10C with an IO Port mount, couldn't be happier.

trhoppe
04-30-2009, 06:50 PM
FWIW, I use a Samsung SC-HMX10C with an IO Port mount, couldn't be happier.

THIS camera is the hot shizzle. Thats what I used to make my high def video. That camera is $237 on Amazon right now. I'm used a VS Mount for the latest video, but will be trying the IOport further back for a better wide angle in two weeks. I wouldn't turn AF off. I have AF ON, and use the image stabilization and wind noise reduction.

I had ALL kinds of problems with tapes. Tried 2 different mounts, 3 different cameras, even tried the $1200 Canon HDV Mini-DV cam with no success. Switched to the SD car samsung and its rock solid.

Here is the link to youtube of the HD video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxIxEsD57BE&fmt=22edit: I'll also have a GoPro 170 degree rear video camera for the next event, should be a sweet overlay with the above HD vid :) Especially after using ChaseCam's DashWare software to overlay the DL1 data.

-Tom

Gary L
04-30-2009, 07:22 PM
THIS camera is the hot shizzle. Thats what I used to make my high def video. That camera is $237 on Amazon right now. I'm used a VS Mount for the latest video, but will be trying the IOport further back for a better wide angle in two weeks. I wouldn't turn AF off. I have AF ON, and use the image stabilization and wind noise reduction.
$237. HOLY CRAP!!!! I am NOT going to say what I paid for mine, about a year and a half back. Suffice to say, it was more than double that amount.

Okay, you've convinced me, I'll turn AF back on. I've always used image stab and wind noise reduction. I don't have the bandwidth (968 DSL) to do your video in HD widescreen, had to go back to the smaller display. That bandwidth problem is the same reason I don't upload to YouTube at that resolution. Here's my latest, YT upload... a decently interesting 9 minutes of racing with Chris Albin at Hallett, last half of a race we ran in early April. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3rQ7GozOgs

StephenB
04-30-2009, 11:16 PM
I would Suggest the CountorHD by VHOLDR. I have actually done a bunch of research online, no actual side by side comparisons on my own.

Keeping this story short... Last year after watching the F1 season I wanted to get a Helmet Cam for use in my racecar (however they are not allowed to be attached per SCCA rules) Either way I still purchased a VHOLDR camera and I LOVE the thing! I first discovered the Go-Pro because they advertise in Sports Car. I then did some more research online and decided I would contact VHOLDR before the go-pro based on a comparison of the 2 cameras.

I would look at both the GoPro and the ContourHD before you decide to purchase any other camera. For me the big wins were the ability to mount the VHOLDR anywhere at any angle in any position, it was much smaller than the GoPro, the durability of the unit after watching video of motorcycles crashing, the rechargable battery, the ease and simplicity of operation, and the ability to use it skiing/biking without the skips and misses I have experienced with other cameras. I actually went skiing up at sugarloaf and mounted it to my boot and it never skipped a beat! I can send you a link to the video if your interested.

They just came out with a new camera called the ContourHD. This is basically the same camera but upgraded to HD so you can watch it on your TV without the resolution problems you would get with the Go-PRO or original VHOLDR that I already have.

One other HUGE feature that they have that no other camera offers is an exclusive program/website that you can download your video to, edit and then share online with just 3 clicks start to finish! You can utilize youtube or any other site you wish however with just 1 click it is shared at VHOLDR.com

For more info on them visit www.VholdR.com or Email me.
The incar video that I posted of Tim last week from the NER spring training was with the original VHoldR.

Stephen

PS: I will be using the orignal VHOLDR at the Pro-IT this weekend at NHIS and again at POCONO next week.

StephenB
04-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Tom,

Is the video smooth when you watch it at home on the TV? I tried watching it using your link and it was choppy for me as well (in HD) and still seemed like it a little choppy and maybe was skipping frames in regular mode as well. It could be my internet, just curiios, that is a great picture, clear and bright with HD!

Thanks,
Stephen

trhoppe
05-01-2009, 01:54 PM
I would say its your connection then. Its smooth as butter for me in either HD mode or regular here. One thing about youtube sometimes is to wait until the video is all the way buffered, then play from the begining, especially the HD ones.

Its very smooth on the TV, but requires a fairly middle to high end PC to process and view the videos on the PC as its high quality and huge (a little over 1GB for 10 mins of footage).

That ContourHD looks pretty interesting, but at a $300 price point, its more expensive and less usable then a nice handheld HD camera, and double the price of the GoPro camera.

-Tom

924Guy
05-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Get a lipstick cam - you'll get a far better camera angle than anything achievable with a full-size camcorder.

My old fav position was the roof-mount (boy, that sounds dirty!) but now I keep it up at the top of the windshield, cop-cam style, for better protection against flying crap (not to mention better aero).

lateapex911
05-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Any HD lipstick cams out?