PDA

View Full Version : Proposal for a new class.

jhooten
04-27-2009, 04:11 PM
It is time to put the spice back into IT racing. I propose a new class to be known as Spec CVPI. These things are plentiful and can be had at give away prices. It may be a little hard to fit the roll cages around the divider between the front and back seats but I'm sure that can be worked out. That is the only allowed modification, the addition of a roll cage.

The cars have to be run with the stock seats and belts to give the drivers the true In Hot Pursuit feel. And to that end the race procedures will need a little modification. On the pace lap you must be eating a donut and have a cup of scalding hot coffee tucked between your legs while typing on an MDT. As the field comes around to the starter and the green flag waves you must throw the coffee and remainder of the donut out the passenger side window, turn on the lights and siren and transmit on the radio "car /your car number/ responding code three. As you circulate around the track you must pick up the mic at each turn and announce "turning left at turn 2" or what ever is appropriate for the current turn.

PIT manouver to complete a pass is optional.:D

Knestis
04-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Over beer and pizza, a bunch of us wrote rules (on napkins, of course) for ITV - Improved Tow Vehicle. The idea was to race whatever you used to drag the car to the track. Rules stipulated the volume of fast food containers that had to be on the floor under the pedals, the weight of the required tool box, and the frequency (never) with which entrants were allowed to bleed the brakes. (The logic there was that we never service them to drag thousands of pounds down public roads, so we shouldn't be allowed to do so for racing purposes.)

My FAVORITE rule was that half of the defined distance would be run in whatever direction traffic typically flowed on a given track, and half run the opposite direction. As a tie-breaker, the field would then be split, with half of the entries running one direction, and the rest going the other...

K

JoshS
04-27-2009, 05:16 PM
10+ years ago at an autocross in Sacramento, we finished our morning run groups early, but due to scheduling restrictions, we had to wait to start the afternoon groups. An hour to kill. What to do? Last-minute run group addition: tow vehicles.

The rules: must be a truck-class vehicle. Must have actually towed something to the site THAT DAY. No changes to the vehicle between the paddock and the starting line, except that adding air to the front tires is okay. And this was an autocross, and each person got only 1 run.

Surprisingly, the crew-cab duallies did pretty well. I was using a Ford Explorer V8 at the time, and I didn't know that if you put it in "2", that it won't ever downshift to "1" ... so I was a little slow.

RacerBill
04-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Back in '88, Indiana Northwest Region used to run a two-day Solo II event, Saturday at a local high school, and Sunday, thru the streets of Portage, IN. The Portage Gran Prix was part of a big local festival and people came from all around. And we did have a special class for active police vehicles. Only rule was they had to run with lights and sirens on. Local police, county sheriffs and State Police all competed for bragging rights! What a blast!

Ron Earp
04-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Over beer and pizza, a bunch of us wrote rules (on napkins, of course) for ITV - Improved Tow Vehicle. The idea was to race whatever you used to drag the car to the track. Rules stipulated the volume of fast food containers that had to be on the floor under the pedals, the weight of the required tool box, and the frequency (never) with which entrants were allowed to bleed the brakes. (The logic there was that we never service them to drag thousands of pounds down public roads, so we shouldn't be allowed to do so for racing purposes.)

My FAVORITE rule was that half of the defined distance would be run in whatever direction traffic typically flowed on a given track, and half run the opposite direction. As a tie-breaker, the field would then be split, with half of the entries running one direction, and the rest going the other...

K

I'm down with that, let's get it on! I tow with a Ford Lightning, bring on those F250s, 350s, 2500s, 3500s, Tundras, and Titans.

JeffYoung
04-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Anyone else have a 500 whp tow vehicle?

Sounds like Ron wins to me.

jhooten
04-27-2009, 09:35 PM
For $32K I can. Someone just traded in a SRT10 Ram at the Dodge dealer.

MMiskoe
04-27-2009, 10:43 PM
My dad wanted to see enduro teams handicapped by the cumulative age of the car and average age of all its drivers. He would have been un-beatable at some races in his old Z-car.

pballance
04-27-2009, 11:01 PM
It is time to put the spice back into IT racing. I propose a new class to be known as Spec CVPI. These things are plentiful and can be had at give away prices. It may be a little hard to fit the roll cages around the divider between the front and back seats but I'm sure that can be worked out. That is the only allowed modification, the addition of a roll cage.

Actually, this should not be a problem. Most "cage" dividers use an "integrated" roll bar. May have to change wall thickness and Dia, but easily done.

The cars have to be run with the stock seats and belts to give the drivers the true In Hot Pursuit feel. And to that end the race procedures will need a little modification. On the pace lap you must be eating a donut and have a cup of scalding hot coffee tucked between your legs while typing on an MDT. As the field comes around to the starter and the green flag waves you must throw the coffee and remainder of the donut out the passenger side window, turn on the lights and siren and transmit on the radio "car /your car number/ responding code three. As you circulate around the track you must pick up the mic at each turn and announce "turning left at turn 2" or what ever is appropriate for the current turn.

PIT manuver to complete a pass is optional.:D

I'm in. But you forget. This is the new Millenium. No longer is it coffee and doughnuts, it's Cuppucino or Latte' and a whole wheat bagel with light spread. :)

FWIW, 3 years ago our Region started an "Emergency Services Challenge." We invited the local police, fire, troopers, sheriff, and EMS to come compete in a celeberty style challenge. It has been a great success, we use a "borrowed" CV from the local Ford dealer but since they have become scarce since they are no longer made and last year we used a Taurus. Each team has two drivers. All compete on the same autox course during a normal event. The local region kicks in a few dollars and we solicite donations. Winner of the challenge gets to pick their favorite charity and the money goes there. Great fun.

Also, I will be there when this class competes in it's first race. I have 25 years of experience behind the wheel of a Police Interceptor although the first one was a Pontiac big block. I am now retired. All of the things described come second nature to me but I should add that if I am in second place I will call my crew to place spike stripes to disable the lead car!!:smilie_pokal:

Now, Tow vehicle. Ron, not quite as much HP but with a couple of minor changes I should be able to reach 425 hp or so in my duramax but you will clearly have me on weight. Your on :)

Spinnetti
04-28-2009, 07:15 AM

PIT manouver to complete a pass is optional.:D

Already there! - Perfect theme for 24hrs of lemons.... this should amuse you. So somebody basically did this for Lemons South. I edge by down the back straight heading for turn one, and he blips the siren. I'm so conditioned, that I look up in the mirror and see a cop car, and immediately lift! Made me laugh out loud.

quadzjr
04-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Back in the day they had pit bike races sometimes during clean up sessions or down time at the drag strip. Only time I ever got to ride my fourwheeler down the track.

Knestis
04-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Back in the day they had pit bike races sometimes during clean up sessions or down time at the drag strip. Only time I ever got to ride my fourwheeler down the track.

Sounds like a good way to get a rash.

I LOVE the EMT challenge idea. Very cool.

K