PDA

View Full Version : Measure Toe - Where?

Ned Stevens
04-25-2009, 09:13 AM
Like it says. I see the specs and want to know, do you measure at the rims or the contact patch of the tire? What got me to thinking was that I bought a set of toe plates and when I got them I saw that they were 32" long. If I used them as is I would have an exaggerated dimension. I plan on cutting them down to the outside diameter of the tires. What is the correct way to measure? Thanks

Greg Amy
04-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Doesn't matter, as long as you're consistent.

You will be adjusting your toe settings to suit your car and your style. You can convert the readings to "cows" instead of "inches" or "degrees" (I think the generally-accept conversion rate is cows = pi times inches) and as long as you're consistent your measurements will be based off the same thing.

For reference, however, we use Longacre toe plates and use inches; cows just become a real hassle to convert without a calculator handy. - GA

pfcs
04-25-2009, 11:51 AM
The accepted norm is to measure and express toe across the tire OD. Horses asses have a bovine system that might work as well.

lateapex911
04-25-2009, 12:32 PM
You might want to consider slotting the plate(s) so you can snug the tape up to the diameter of the tire. Then it's a direct read with no math. Cutting the plate locks that plate to that tire diameter. A slot is future proof.

callard
04-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Snort - Greg said Moo Poo...

Sandro
04-28-2009, 11:21 AM
I use this toe bar from Longacre

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=153&catid=5

I like it better than using plates and a tape measure because I felt like if you pull on one tape measure a little more than the other you will get a different reading.