PDA

View Full Version : No. of legal damper adjustments

rsportvolvo
04-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Since I have dampers on the brain this came up. The ITCS allows 2 damper adjustments. Most folks see this as being a single compression adjuster and a single rebound adjuster. But what about nitrogen pressure? Adjusting the nitrogen pressure can affect the damping. Is this considered one of the 2 legal damper adjustments? Thoughts?

jimmyc
04-24-2009, 06:36 PM
I have worked with Moton and JRZ shocks so that is all i can speak to.

But they both refer to the Nitrogen pressure is like adding or removing spring rate.

rsportvolvo
04-30-2009, 05:42 AM
Nitrogen pressure can have an effect on the damper settings. That is dependent on the design. The JRZ/Moton design is more affected by pressure changes than some others. Penske's don't respond too much to shock pressure changes.

That is why I asked the question. I'm pretty sure eveyone takes the nitrogen pressure as a fairly fixed feature and only counts the compression and/or rebound adjusters for the rule.

jjjanos
04-30-2009, 09:31 AM
That is why I asked the question. I'm pretty sure eveyone takes the nitrogen pressure as a fairly fixed feature and only counts the compression and/or rebound adjusters for the rule.

"External adjustments of shock control shall be limited to two (2)."

Doesn't matter what shape or form the external adjustment is, if it is an external adjustment, then it counts as one of the two (2).

seckerich
04-30-2009, 11:35 AM
"External adjustments of shock control shall be limited to two (2)."

Doesn't matter what shape or form the external adjustment is, if it is an external adjustment, then it counts as one of the two (2).

In your opinion maybe--not in the rules. Some form of "common sense" needs to be applied. I guess you think the threaded collar on the shock is also one adjustment? Get real. Industry standard adjustments to performance are compression and rebound and precharge is set to a given spec by the builder. If you can adjust pressure by an external knob you might have a point.

Gary L
04-30-2009, 03:23 PM
If you can adjust pressure by an external knob you might have a point.
Agreed. Otherwise, the type of oil you put in the shock would have to count as an "adjustment" as well.