PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have comments on toy hauler trailers?

Tak
04-24-2009, 02:19 AM
I'm contemplating a toy hauler so the family can come out for the race weekends. Does anyone have one? What are your likes and dislikes? Lessons learned?
Tag or 5th?

Thanks

Tak
#29 ITA, SFR SCCA

JoshS
04-24-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm contemplating a toy hauler so the family can come out for the race weekends. Does anyone have one? What are your likes and dislikes? Lessons learned?
Tag or 5th?

Thanks

Tak
#29 ITA, SFR SCCA

Hey Tachi,

I did the reasearch 3 years ago. Most toy haulers aren't big enough for a full-sized car (even a small full-sized car like yours.) You have to look at the very large ones. Just keep that in mind.

Also remember that the luxuries in a toy hauler aren't as good as a travel trailer or motorhome. No slides, or even wall-mounted furniture, in the garage area (which is usually most of the length of the trailer) means less amenities. You'll find fold-down stuff on the walls which isn't as nice, plus it makes it harder to get in and out of the car when it's in the trailer.

I know this all sounds negative, but ... it's my dream too. Someone out there must make the perfect toy hauler for racers. I just haven't found it (not without an enormous 36'+ 5th wheel anyway, and I've BTDT, and I don't want something that big again.)

dave parker
04-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Tak
Some observations on these units from a year of helping a customer deal with his.
Tag or 5th? 5th wheel for sure. By the time you load the car, tools, gear, spares, more tools and gear, and the family stuff the thing will be HEAVY. This does not include water in the water tanks and all the other things that you won't even think about because in the past you had no spare room for that.

Also keep in mind that when the car is in the hauler it will be almost unusable because of space limitations.

The toy haulers are great for bikes, four wheelers, snowmobiles, etc. and are starting to get much better for cars but the learning curve for the manufacturers of these trailers is steep and with times like they are the manufacturers are just trying to stay afloat.
cheers
dave parker

JoshS
04-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Hey Tachi,

Could you enable PMs? I can't reply to your e-mail, it bounces.

Josh