PDA

View Full Version : What tires?

jdraper08
04-21-2009, 09:00 PM
I am planning on running MARRS 2 at VIR. I have a 1989 ITA Honda CRX Si and need to buy tires. I've been looking at the Hoosier's but am not sure what size would be best. They would be going on 14x7 Panasports. Any advice on what tire brand and/or size would be great!

Thanks

Chip42
04-22-2009, 09:11 AM
I gather that you are newish to racing (at least on track - please excuse me if I am wrong), so I would recomend that you use something cheaper than the hoosiers - maybe the Kumho 710. not as fast, but consistant and a lot more affordable - allowing more seat time, thus more familiarity. They are avaialble in the right 14" sizes. generally I would suggest finding take-offs until you outgrow them but with a 14x7 you won't find too many good ones. step up to hoosiers when it matters, save your money and run more often for now.

ITA_honda
04-22-2009, 09:23 AM
I would recommend the Kumho Ecsta V710's.:happy204:
As previously stated, the Kumho's are a heavier tire than the Hoosiers. Hoosiers take a few laps to gain grip, work really well for some time, and then fall off FAST when they wear out. Kumho starts off feeling the same and when they wear out, its not as dramatic as the Hoosier. To put in simplest terms...Kumho is a little slower on laps times, but is more consistant than the Hoosier.

Now if you had all the money in the world, Id say use Hoosiers. But we're all pretty much on a budget!!

I have a 1990 ITA Civic and run 205-50-15 with Enkei RPF1 wheels. The Panasport you have though is a sweet wheel though!

Good luck

erlrich
04-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Jesse - does your father know you're asking strangers for tire advice? :D

Seriously, talk to Gregg, or even AJ if you can get hold of him, those guys are fast and know what they're talking about. From what I've heard about your performance at the driver's school, you should be ready for the good stuff.

I'm pretty sure AJ was running Hankooks last year, and probably was again for MARRS 1 this year, and you see what he did on them :rolleyes:. I used the Hankooks last year, and started this year on a new set, and I wouldn't even think about anything else - except Hoosiers. I've used the Kumhos in the past, and IMO they're not in the same league as the 'kooks. The only problem there is finding them. Size for either the Hankooks or Hoosiers looks like it would probably be a 225/50/14.

Gregg
04-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Jesse-

Call me..your dad should have the number or you can find it on the WDCR contacts page.

arpenn
04-22-2009, 11:07 AM
I would be surprised if you can squeeze a 225-50-14 Hoosier under your CRX. Hoosiers run big. We have a 1990 Civic Si and we run 205-55-14 Hoosiers on Panasports and they still rub a little on the rear lower control arms. I would look at a longer lasting tire than the Hoosiers unless you think you will be running up front fighting for the win. I would look at the Kumho's and Toyo's both are cheaper and last longer/more consistant.

CSPRX7
04-22-2009, 01:06 PM
If your interested in the 'Kooks, try http://www.treadzone.com/index.aspx

They are one of the largest distributors of Hankooks on the east coast. Talk to Joe Specht. He's very knowledgeable and runs a pretty quick Rabbit. Oh, no affiliation other than being a very satisfied customer.

jdraper08
04-23-2009, 09:34 PM
thanks for all the help guys
and yes my dad gave me permission to ask strangers about what kind of tire i should get. haha

ltblouis
05-03-2009, 08:13 PM
You can use 225 size on a CRX, on my old ITA crx I used 225 front and rears without any problems.
Call Rodney at Appalachian Tire for Hoosiers, the Hoosier R6 is worth every penny and will last forever.

Louis
LTB Motorsports