PDA

View Full Version : ITA 240sx Newbie Needs Help

Kartracerdad
04-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Getting ready to purchase one. Do any shops/motor builders specialize in them? Are they competitive nationally? Thanks.

DavidM
04-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Those are pretty broad questions. There are many shops around the country that have experience with the KA24 motor. You can't do a whole lot to an IT motor so any experienced race shop should be able to prep one for you. Some may just have easier access to parts for the balancing and blueprinting. If you say where you are located I'm sure you'll get a list of shops people have used.

A well prepped and driven 240SX can be competitive in ITA. You will need a top prepped car and drive it at 10/10ths if you want to win in the southeast or northeast with the high level of competition.

David

lateapex911
04-21-2009, 09:53 AM
It is one of perhaps 3 top drawer rear wheel drive choices for ITA.

erlrich
04-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Getting ready to purchase one. Do any shops/motor builders specialize in them? Are they competitive nationally? Thanks.

The two names that used to get thrown around a lot when discussing 240SX motors were Rebello Racing in CA and Sunbelt Racing in GA. Rebello used to build engines for Bob Stretch, who had one of the fastest 240s in the country at one time. But David is right, any competent race shop should be able to do the job. I had a shop in VA Beach - Abacus Racing - do my engine and it makes great power.

I can't help but think that the 240SX is now a tier 2 car in ITA; a well-prepared and driven 240 can run near the front, and can win in against GOOD competition, but I don't think even a 10/10ths 240SX will ever win against a 10/10ths CRX or Miata IMO. I would love to be proven wrong.