PDA

View Full Version : Fuel test port - Install?

Ned Stevens
04-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Am needing to update my '91 Golf GTI by installing a fuel test port. Where do I put it and where do I get the parts? Thanks

ITA_honda
04-13-2009, 10:05 AM
www.fuelports.com

His name is Paul Morrison.
He has everything you need.

Joe Camilleri
04-13-2009, 10:56 AM
I use one from fuelports on the fuel distributor of my Scirocco. I keep the sample hose tie wrapped to the cage inside the car. If you want, I can send you a photo of the installation.

RacerBill
04-13-2009, 04:13 PM
+++ Fuelports

cjb25hs
04-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Has the ruling changed? I thought that a stock pressure port on the fuel rail was still legal

c_ozzie
04-14-2009, 09:40 PM
++++fuel ports

dickita15
04-15-2009, 04:53 AM
Has the ruling changed? I thought that a stock pressure port on the fuel rail was still legal

A stock FI fuel port is fine as long as you have a hose to fit it.

JamesB
04-15-2009, 09:38 AM
on the CIS injection there is no FI fule port. Its all banjo fittings.

Ned Stevens
04-15-2009, 11:41 AM
My '91 GTI Golf has the Digifant system. Found the fuel test port-now I need a hose and fitting for it.

JamesB
04-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Digi can use the same setup the miata uses.

racer_tim
04-15-2009, 11:45 PM
I just put a "T" fitting in the fuel cell pickup line, but that's assuming that you are running a cell. All it has to be is between the tank and the engine, or at least that was the wording a few years ago when I did mine.

I didn't want it on the high pressure side of the system, so put the "T between the facet pump that draws the fuel from cell to the sump tank, then to the stock pump.

JamesB
04-16-2009, 08:12 AM
Exactly. Since its digi just break the return line after the FPR and install the port. Since its a low pressure line it is better for samples then the high pressure line.

jmracer17
04-16-2009, 10:58 AM
I t'ed off the pump that comes out of the tank. It has worked real well. Have not had a problem.

James

Spinnetti
04-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Exactly. Since its digi just break the return line after the FPR and install the port. Since its a low pressure line it is better for samples then the high pressure line.

So, that means the car has to be running to get a sample then doesn't it? I ordered one, but haven't decided how to install yet.

racer_tim
04-16-2009, 11:58 PM
All I have to do is turn on the facet pump to get the sample. Ignition doesn't need to be on, nor does the car have to be running.

Flyinglizard
04-17-2009, 12:33 AM
Has anyone been tested?? I never have.
With 10% ethanol, how good is the test??
MM

Chip42
04-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Has anyone been tested?? I never have.
With 10% ethanol, how good is the test??
MM

We check for the port itself a lot. the fuel test is pretty useless on off-track pump gas, though, and cannot ping a lot of additive compounds that might be used, even in track gas. (though it is a good test of one supplier's 110 octane vs. another, so for the GT/prod crowd it is occasionally useful as you have to run "event" fuel) There's a lot of work going into finding a better solution by indipendant tech inspectors and the club itself - barrier is cost. equipment is always available at nationals and championships / ARRC is always setup for fuel testing.

Flyinglizard
04-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Maybe it time to lose the fuel port requirement for IT. I can see the SM and FV needing a fuel test @ a nats level race. But at regional races I dont think that the tech crew has the stuff or knowlegde to use it right. The fuel port is just another leak point, IMHO.
If the region can't test the fuel properly, void the port requirement.
makes sense.
MM

benspeed
04-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Maybe it time to lose the fuel port requirement for IT. I can see the SM and FV needing a fuel test @ a nats level race. But at regional races I dont think that the tech crew has the stuff or knowlegde to use it right. The fuel port is just another leak point, IMHO.
If the region can't test the fuel properly, void the port requirement.
makes sense.
MM

Totall agree with the above +1

jmracer17
04-17-2009, 08:21 PM
The only way i would see that it should stay is for the guys that do run the STU stuff. Although they are still IT they are running national races. Nationals are the only place i have seen fuel testing. But thats just me. :shrug:

James

JoshS
04-17-2009, 11:22 PM
The only way i would see that it should stay is for the guys that do run the STU stuff. Although they are still IT they are running national races. Nationals are the only place i have seen fuel testing. But thats just me. :shrug:

James
Our region is doing some testing at regionals, mostly because our SM group is super super super competitive and there has been some use of non-POG. New rules for '09 make that stuff illegal in our regional series, and they will be testing for it.

IT has not been tested here though. When I was national racing in SS & T I was tested 3-4 times a year. I don't miss it.