PDA

View Full Version : 240Z Race wheels

MIKEL
04-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Our race car has 15x7 panasports I am looking for lighter replacement for the panos (aprox 16lb ea)In the 10-12 lb range. I also have 1 set of KODIAC wheels (junk!)thet I use for rains only. I started looking for wheels that fit (not many with the right offset and bolt pattern). The Volks look good but at 2 k per set a little rich for me. Was wondering what anyone can recomend that will fit the 240zs and be legal. Another wheel that looked promising was the Racing Heart CP035Rs @190ea seems to good to be true? Are they junk?
I will want to eventually want 2 sets of whatever I buy, so any imput will be appricated.Thanks

MIKEL
04-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Racing hearts not available in 15x7x114.5 and price wrong not 198$ but 489$ still looking.

JeffYoung
04-01-2009, 10:13 PM
SSR Comps are the only wheel I know if in the $200/10 lb price range. I ended up spending the money on Volks for my car (weird bolt pattern and offset).

I also think Team Dynamics will make Pro Race 2s in about any configuration for you and they may be 12-13 lbs.

Ron Earp
04-02-2009, 07:23 AM
The Spinwerks wheels come in right at 12-13 lbs and are around $175 each, or thereabouts. I'm using a set of those and got the idea from Steve Parrish, another SE Z racer.

spawpoet
04-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Raon, are the spinwerks neutral offset?

Ron Earp
04-02-2009, 08:46 AM
I wish I could remember (I'm away so can't check right now, can when home). However, Spinwerks knew what was right on the Z car. There is a woman there I talked with, she seemed familar with Zs. Their website stinks and the wheels Steve and I have aren't shown on it (as of last summer), but, if you ask for some Z wheels they'll know what you're talking about.

Parrish57
04-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Spinwerkz welds the center of the wheel in when you order them. So you can have any offset you chose.

spawpoet
04-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Not that it really matters for a racecar, but do either of you have a picture of the wheels that fit on a z?? They would be a big improvement over what we are curruntly using. (17 lbs or so)

Parrish57
04-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Here you go!

p.s. The company that makes these used to be part of Circle Wheels but they spun off the aluminum wheel division and it became Spin Werkes...

bhudson
04-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Here you go!

they spun off the aluminum wheel division and it became Spin Werkes...

Hopefully no pun intended....

MIKEL
04-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Are they steel or alum.?

MIKEL
04-05-2009, 09:07 AM
I saw the ROTA circuit 10 wheels they are 15x6.5 with +18 offset seem close but cannot find weight anyone know about them (are they junk?)

Parrish57
04-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Stop the presses! I just found the new standard for IT racing! They are 6 pounds! And at $12K per set they will make them in any size/bolt pattern/offset you want!

DoubleXL240Z
04-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Sorry Steve,
More than a little rules creep there. Wheels must be metallic !!!
ROFLMAO!! How many cars out there don't have 12k in the whole package!!! including tow rig!!

MIKEL
04-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Hey while we are at it lets make the whole car carbon fiber (plus steel fibers so magnets stick) and paint it black! stealth plus light weight and no one will spot you on the track or the tech station. I am sure they can make any body style for you. And all for 6-7 grand!!! no wait 600-700 grand??? "OOPS" Now back to reality.

dspillrat
04-06-2009, 09:18 PM
I to would like to invest in a couple sets of wheels......I havn't yet "upgraded to the 15 inch wheel....that we are allowed now. I would be interested in 10 poundish wheels..... We pay what?....750 for a new set of hoosiers?...for a weekend or two of use......wheels are for ever, well sorta if you can keep from rubbing on stuff... $2000- even 3000 for a set of wheels, really is cheaper then a new set of hoosiers.... My set off panis have lasted several years now.....

Love to hear of options ...
David

spawpoet
04-07-2009, 09:02 AM
I to would like to invest in a couple sets of wheels......I havn't yet "upgraded to the 15 inch wheel....that we are allowed now. I would be interested in 10 poundish wheels..... We pay what?....750 for a new set of hoosiers?...for a weekend or two of use......wheels are for ever, well sorta if you can keep from rubbing on stuff... $2000- even 3000 for a set of wheels, really is cheaper then a new set of hoosiers.... My set off panis have lasted several years now.....

David

If you can spend the 2k, I'm not sure there is a better option than the Volks.

Parrish57
04-07-2009, 09:26 AM

David

David... I went through the same process when I went to the 15's. First I talked to the Hoosier guys and they said there was very little reason to change from a tire standpoint. The only "upgrade" was to brake cooling. Just a little bit more room for airflow, especially at tracks like CMP. But for me the necessity came from the fact that my 14's were heavy and worn out. I needed new wheels anyway so I went for it.

The really hard part comes in finding a wheel with the right offset. The Panasports are great but they are heavy (by comparison). There are a lot of other wheels, SSR, Kosei, etc. but they are all offset too much requiring a thick spacer. I felt like that defeated the purpose of finding a light weight wheel.

Then I came across the Spinwerkes wheels and problem solved. You can get them for less than $200 each and they weigh around 12 pounds. If you are really determined to get down to 10 lbs each you will pay about double. (Volks come to mind, and you will probably wait forever to get them shipped).

I don't know much about the Team Dynamics but it might be worth the effort. Let us know!

JeffYoung
04-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Guys, I just went through this (well, last off season). Decided to invest in two sets of Volks at 9.5 lbs each and two sets of Team Dynamics at 12.

VOlks were $400 each (wheel), and the TDs around $200.

Both made the wheels custom in my bolt pattern and offset. The TD rep I used was at 909-947-0114, I'll have to dig up the Volk rep if you guys want the contact information.

Ron Earp
04-07-2009, 10:05 AM
I'd second the SpinWerks wheels. They deliver quickly, look good, and are robust. 12lbs is fairly light and they were a bit less than $200 a wheel when I ordered last September.

The main reason I went to 15s was to have more leeway is using tire cast offs and interchangeability with my fellow racers in case of an emergency. Not many folks were using 14s. That said, I still have the 14"s around for rain tire use since I don't want to tie up a set of 15s.

For some cheap and very usable 15"s get the Koneig Wheels from the Z parts place. I have a set of these too and they come in at about 15 lbs. Nothing wrong with them at all and fit great.

Volks are really cool but expensive. I'm pretty sure Jeff grew a year older waiting for them. It really was that long.

JeffYoung
04-07-2009, 02:14 PM
It wasn't quite that bad. I ordered some from an outfit that went under, and I did wait 9 months to get the wheels, and then get my money back (whew).

That said, I'd generally say Ron is right. I am sure the 8 lbs unsprung I save when I run the Volks v. the TDs does something, but it is hard to tell from the cockpit.

The Spinwerks wheels at 12 lbs appear to be a great solution for Z cars.

Volks are really cool but expensive. I'm pretty sure Jeff grew a year older waiting for them. It really was that long.

Ron Earp
04-07-2009, 03:10 PM
IThat said, I'd generally say Ron is right. I am sure the 8 lbs unsprung I save when I run the Volks v. the TDs does something, but it is hard to tell from the cockpit.

Less than that. That 4 lbs you're saving on the 250 lb live rear axle is worthless. Hell, it might weigh more than that!! But, it does work pretty well.

R

MIKEL
04-07-2009, 04:52 PM
I am looking for the spinwerks wheels the only source I have found so far is racer wholesale for the series 85 15x7 they say 13lbs and 382 ea. They show an 82 series but not in that size. Where did you get some 15x7 @12lb and for the 175 price? Was that for 14in vs 15in ?
Also the TDs for the prorace 1 were 13.5 lbs in a 7x15 and prorace 2s @14lbs for the 7x15s was there another model that is 12 lbs? for a 15in? I also have not found a price of any of these yet?
Also any feedback on the ROTA wheels. I emailed the company for specs still no word yet, anyone running them and if so how much do they weight? Much thanks to all for the feedback :)

Ron Earp
04-07-2009, 06:15 PM
15"x7, call Spinwerks direct.

http://www.spinwerkes.com/

They are slow on email, phone them. I might have an email contact for them somewhere. I think the wheels Jeff mentioned are better but incrementally so for the money.

jmark
04-08-2009, 08:07 AM

David
When are you planning on running David? Let me know. [email protected]

MIKEL
04-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Has anyone heard of or had experience with the ROTA wheels I talked to KIM at rota says a new wheel the ZERO PLUS is comming out and should be around 12lbs with right offset. Still have not got a hold of the guys at spinwerks yet?

rsportvolvo
04-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Have you looked into Jongbloed wheels?

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25463&highlight=jongbloed

MIKEL
04-14-2009, 08:50 PM
I am sure they are very nice but at 2200 a set way outside my price range same for ssr and volks. I am hoping to spend less than 1200 or less a set if possible.

MIKEL
04-23-2009, 10:43 PM
I found a dealer who sell the volk T37 in the offset I want for $308 each. There is still hope!

Spinnetti
04-24-2009, 06:53 AM
Our race car has 15x7 panasports I am looking for lighter replacement for the panos (aprox 16lb ea)In the 10-12 lb range. I also have 1 set of KODIAC wheels (junk!)thet I use for rains only. I started looking for wheels that fit (not many with the right offset and bolt pattern). The Volks look good but at 2 k per set a little rich for me. Was wondering what anyone can recomend that will fit the 240zs and be legal. Another wheel that looked promising was the Racing Heart CP035Rs @190ea seems to good to be true? Are they junk?
I will want to eventually want 2 sets of whatever I buy, so any imput will be appricated.Thanks

Which Panasports did you get? Mine are the same fitment as the 240, and in 14x7 race wheel form, I thought I remember them as 9lbs... would think the 15's wouldn't be much heavier...

MIKEL
04-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Just what I have seen on the diff pages that list wts for the panos and others, I have not put mine on scales since they have tires mounted, I am planning on replacing some befor Nashville so I will see if they are less than the 16lbs, it wold be nice if they were 12lbs but I do not think so.